F=Ma Problem Help: Kinetic Energy of Rotating Device

• Thread starter euroazn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    F=ma
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a spaceborne energy storage device consisting of two equal masses connected by a tether and rotating about their center of mass. The device initially has kinetic energy E and rotates at angular velocity w. Additional energy is stored by reeling in the tether, causing the device to rotate at angular velocity 2w. The question asks for the new kinetic energy of the device, and it is noted that I, the moment of inertia, will decrease due to the masses being drawn closer together. The concept of conservation of angular momentum is also mentioned as potentially helpful in solving the problem. The original poster is impressed with the speed and accuracy of the solution provided and mentions that they have more difficult questions to come.
euroazn
Hi, I'm practicing for the physics olympiad qualifier and I came across this problem:

A spaceborne energy storage device consists of two equal masses connected by a tether and rotating
about their center of mass. Additional energy is stored by reeling in the tether; no external forces
are applied. Initially the device has kinetic energy E and rotates at angular velocity wEnergy is
added until the device rotates at angular velocity 2w What is the new kinetic energy of the device?

I know that E=.5Iw^2, but why does Ioda decrease by a factor of two?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF :smile:

I will decrease because the masses are drawn in closer together.

Also, conservation of angular momentum could be helpful here.

Wow! Only one hour! Impressive ~ And the solution is accurate too (conservation of momentum)

My first post was just a "test" question, so to speak (I wouldn't be trying for Physics Olympiad if I didn't know about conservation of momentum =P) and I'm really impressed with the speed. More (unfortunately harder) questions to come.

Thanks Redbelly.

Related to F=Ma Problem Help: Kinetic Energy of Rotating Device

1. What is the formula for calculating kinetic energy of a rotating device?

The formula for calculating kinetic energy of a rotating device is KE = 1/2 * I * ω², where KE is the kinetic energy, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity.

2. What is the difference between linear and rotational kinetic energy?

Linear kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its linear motion, while rotational kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its rotational motion. The formulas for calculating them are also different, with linear kinetic energy using mass and velocity, and rotational kinetic energy using moment of inertia and angular velocity.

3. How do I calculate the moment of inertia for a rotating device?

The moment of inertia for a rotating device can be calculated by summing the products of the mass of each particle in the device and its distance from the axis of rotation squared, or by using the specific formula for the shape of the rotating object (such as a cylinder or sphere).

4. Can the kinetic energy of a rotating device be negative?

No, the kinetic energy of a rotating device cannot be negative. This is because kinetic energy is always a measure of the energy an object possesses due to its motion, and motion cannot have a negative value.

5. How can I use the formula for kinetic energy to solve problems involving a rotating device?

To solve problems involving the kinetic energy of a rotating device, you will need to know the values for the moment of inertia and the angular velocity. Once you have these values, you can plug them into the formula KE = 1/2 * I * ω² to calculate the kinetic energy. You can also use this formula to compare the kinetic energy of different rotating devices or to determine the change in kinetic energy over time.