Extremely Hard Physic Question (Ray diagram)

In summary, the conversation is about a question on a unit test where a student is trying to find the maximum distance (d) of a corridor from a mirror, with the given information that the mirror is 6m long and the ray from the student will clear the edge of the corridor if it hits the mirror at a distance of 1.5m from the bottom. The solution involves finding the angle made by the ray to the mirror and using trigonometry to find the remaining length of the mirror, which is then equal to the maximum distance (d). However, the student is confused about the calculations and the actual diagram.
Nope

Homework Statement

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/7010/78614537.jpg
o= student
The position of the teacher is (d) from the mirror.
mirror is 6m
a) Calculate the maximum distance(d) of the corridor from the mirror
b) Trace the diagram. Draw the ray diagram to support your calculation in a)

This question was on the my unit test. But i have no idea of how to find the distance. I am very curious of how to do it, if anyone can help me out..

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ray from the student will clear the edge of the corridor if it hits the mirror at a distance 1.5 m from the bottom. Find the angle made by the ray to the mirror and remaining length of the mirror. From that you can find the maximum distance d.

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/6963/37641899.jpg ??[/URL]
I still don't get how to find d..

Continue the reflected light past the edge. It hits the wall a a distance d. Then d/4.5 = tanθ. Now what is tanθ?

I am confused...
Where is the 4.5?
http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/8523/98303310.jpg??

Length of the mirror 6 m - 1.5m = 4.5 m

Oh...!
But How is that equal to d?
Or is that the maximum distance that he can see the teacher?

From the first part, find tanθ = 3/1.5
In the second part tanθ = d/4.5. Find d.

Yes, i understand.
But "d" seem to much shorter than the actual diagram...

Related to Extremely Hard Physic Question (Ray diagram)

1. What is a ray diagram and why is it important in physics?

A ray diagram is a visual representation of how light rays behave when they interact with lenses, mirrors, or other optical devices. It is important in physics because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of light, which is a fundamental aspect of many physical phenomena.

2. How do I construct a ray diagram?

To construct a ray diagram, you will need to identify the object, the lens or mirror, and the image. Then, draw a horizontal line representing the principal axis of the optical device. Next, draw the object and its corresponding principal axis, and then draw at least two rays from the object that interact with the optical device. Finally, use the intersections of these rays to determine the location and characteristics of the image.

3. What is the difference between a real image and a virtual image?

A real image is formed when light rays actually converge at a certain point, creating a physical image that can be projected onto a screen. A virtual image, on the other hand, is formed when light rays appear to diverge from a certain point, creating an image that cannot be projected and can only be seen through a lens or mirror.

4. Can ray diagrams be used for all types of optical devices?

Yes, ray diagrams can be used for all types of optical devices, including lenses, mirrors, prisms, and more. The principles of ray tracing remain the same regardless of the type of device being used.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when constructing a ray diagram?

Some common mistakes to avoid when constructing a ray diagram include not drawing the principal axis, not labeling the object and image, not drawing enough rays, and not using the correct rules for refraction or reflection. It is also important to remember that the rays should be drawn as straight lines and not curved, as this can lead to inaccurate results.