Extreme points of L^p[0,1] on unit closed ball

In summary, the conversation discusses proving that if $\|f\|_p = 1$ then $f$ is an extreme point of the unit closed ball in $L^p[0,1]$, where $1<p<\infty$. The method of proof involves using Minkowski's inequality and showing that it is strict unless $g$ and $h$ are positive scalar multiples of each other (almost everywhere). This leads to the conclusion that $f$, $g$, and $h$ must all be equal (almost everywhere) and therefore, $f$ is an extreme point. The conversation also briefly discusses the possibility of other extreme points in $L^p$.
Kokuhaku
I would like to prove that if $\|f\|_p = 1$ then $f$ is extreme point of unit closed ball in $L^p[0,1]$. [here $1<p<\infty$]

I suppose we should try to prove it by contradiction. That is, if $f \in L^p$, with $\|f\|_p=1$, is not extreme, then exists $g,h \in L^p$ with $\|g\|_p,\|h\|_p \leq 1$ and $\lambda \in (0,1)$ such that $f=(1-\lambda)g+\lambda h$.

Then we can use that $$1=\|f\|_p^p = \int_{[0,1]} |(1-\lambda) g(t) + \lambda h(t)|^p \, d\mu(t),$$ but I don't know how to proceed from this point. I suppose we can show that last term is $<1$, using some integral inequalities and $\|g\|_p,\|h\|_p \leq 1$, but I don't see how.

Or, maybe, to use Minkowski inequality to obtain $1=\|f\|_p \le (1-\lambda) \|g\|_p + \lambda \|h\|_p$ and to prove that it can't be equality in Minkowski inequality. We know that we have equality if and only if there exist $\alpha,\beta \ge 0$ such that $\alpha g = \beta h$ almost everywhere.

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: Extreme points of \$L^p[0,1]\$ on unit closed ball

Kokuhaku said:
... use Minkowski inequality to obtain $1=\|f\|_p \le (1-\lambda) \|g\|_p + \lambda \|h\|_p$ and to prove that it can't be equality in Minkowski inequality. We know that we have equality if and only if there exist $\alpha,\beta \ge 0$ such that $\alpha g = \beta h$ almost everywhere.
Yes, that is exactly how to do it. Minkowski's inequality is strict unless $g$ and $h$ are positive scalar multiples of each other (almost everywhere). In that case, $f$ is also a scalar multiple of $g$ (or $h$). Since $f$, $g$ and $h$ all have norm $1$, it follows that they must all be equal (almost everywhere).

Re: Extreme points of \$L^p[0,1]\$ on unit closed ball

Opalg said:
Since $f$, $g$ and $h$ all have norm $1$, ...

I don't see how to prove this.

If $g=\alpha h$, then we have $f=((1-\lambda)\alpha+\lambda)h$ and from that I can see that $\|h\|=((1-\lambda)\alpha+\lambda)^{-1}$, but why that is equal to one, I don't see.

edit: Oh, wait, maybe I see it. If we would have $\|h\|_p <1$, then we would have $1=\|f\|_p = (1-\lambda) \|g\|_p + \lambda \|h\|_p < (1-\lambda)\|g\|_p + \lambda \le (1-\lambda) + \lambda = 1$ (because $\|g\| \le 1$). Contradiction. Also, from $\|h\|_p=1$ we see that $\|g\|_p=1$.

And now we know that $\alpha = 1$, and then $f=g=h$ a.e. Great!Also, it's kinda funny, but I see many things when I am writing post :)

edit 2: I am just wondering, but are this only extreme points in $L^p$ on unit closed ball? That is, is this if and only if case?

Related to Extreme points of L^p[0,1] on unit closed ball

1. What is the definition of "extreme points" in L^p[0,1]?

Extreme points in L^p[0,1] are elements that cannot be written as a convex combination of two other elements in L^p[0,1]. In other words, they are the "corners" of the unit closed ball in L^p[0,1].

2. How are the extreme points of L^p[0,1] related to the norm of a function?

The norm of a function in L^p[0,1] is equal to the distance from that function to the origin (0,0) in the unit closed ball. Therefore, the extreme points of the unit closed ball in L^p[0,1] correspond to functions with the maximum norm, or "farthest" from the origin.

3. Can all functions in L^p[0,1] be written as a convex combination of extreme points?

No, not all functions in L^p[0,1] can be written as a convex combination of extreme points. This is because the set of extreme points is a proper subset of the set of all functions in L^p[0,1].

4. How does the value of p affect the extreme points of L^p[0,1]?

The value of p determines the shape of the unit closed ball in L^p[0,1]. As p increases, the unit closed ball becomes more "pointy" and the extreme points become more concentrated towards the "corners" of the ball.

5. How can the extreme points of L^p[0,1] be used in mathematical analysis?

The extreme points of L^p[0,1] have various applications in functional analysis, convex optimization, and probability theory. They can be used to prove the existence and uniqueness of solutions to optimization problems and to characterize the behavior of certain stochastic processes.