Extreme Environment Robotics: Materials for a -1000°C Planet

In summary, the robot must be made of materials that will fail the least at temperatures of -1000 degrees C.
HugeDragon
Hi guys,

My science teacher gave me a project to design a robot for a specific planet. I must also include what materials the robot were to be made of. Unfortunately the planet I received has very hostile conditions
1. Temps of -1000 degrees C. Do not ask my why my planet is colder than 0K (3 times colder). My science teacher will not give me a straight answer.
2. Covered in 1m of dust.
3. Extremely windy.
4. Extremely dry.​
I know there are no materials that will work at 0K (much less 3 times colder). But I have to pick the materials that are best for it (the ones that will fail the least).

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the assignment is ridiculous. Negative temperatures can exist in some kinds of systems, but not on planets. A really stupid assignment.

It is, but I still have to do it.

HugeDragon said:
Hi guys,

My science teacher gave me a project to design a robot for a specific planet. I must also include what materials the robot were to be made of. Unfortunately the planet I received has very hostile conditions
1. Temps of -1000 degrees C. Do not ask my why my planet is colder than 0K (3 times colder). My science teacher will not give me a straight answer.
2. Covered in 1m of dust.
3. Extremely windy.
4. Extremely dry.​
I know there are no materials that will work at 0K (much less 3 times colder). But I have to pick the materials that are best for it (the ones that will fail the least).

Thanks.

HugeDragon said:
It is, but I still have to do it.

Welcome to the PF, HD.

The question cannot be answered as stated, because the problem statement is non-physical (it amounts to Science Fiction or worse). Can you please ask your instructor for clarification? What level class is this -- is it for a high school class?

It is for a high school level class (grade 9). I did ask for a clarification and my teacher said "This is not earth. This scenario may be possible on another planet". By that I think shy meant that the current laws of physics that apply to temperature may not be constant (they may change on another planet) and that I will have to find the materials that work best at cold temperatures (although nothing would work at that temperature).

HugeDragon said:
It is for a high school level class (grade 9). I did ask for a clarification and my teacher said "This is not earth. This scenario may be possible on another planet". By that I think shy meant that the current laws of physics that apply to temperature may not be constant (they may change on another planet) and that I will have to find the materials that work best at cold temperatures (although nothing would work at that temperature).

Well she is incorrect. That's not a very good approach to science education, IMO.

Why don't you take a printed copy of the article that I linked to her and ask her to explain it to you...

Beyond that, I guess all you can do is read a bit about "cryogenic materials" to see what kinds of materials are used at temperatures near -273C.

Likes PietKuip
The best I could get (as I was doing some research myself) was aluminum or gold, as they are less likely to fracture upon impact. But it really is impossible. Oh well then. Thanks a lot for the help. :oldsmile:

I think you should complain about this. It is not the way to teach science. Try to get her replaced.

Maybe the robot should have a self-contained power supply to keep it at reasonable temperatures where it's materials won't fail.

Yes, try to keep warm! That is why Philae (the comet lander) failed: its batteries froze.

If only it was as simple as logic. Power supply to keep it warm? Nope, can't have that. -726K on a planet (that apparently has liquids and gas)? Why not! I have to hand in the project tomorrow so I won't be checking this anymore. Thanks for the quick help! :smile:

Likes PietKuip

Related to Extreme Environment Robotics: Materials for a -1000°C Planet

1. What happens to materials at -1000 degrees Celsius?

At -1000 degrees Celsius, most materials would be completely frozen and become extremely brittle. Some materials, such as metals, may undergo changes in their structure and properties due to the extreme cold.

2. Can anything survive at -1000 degrees Celsius?

Yes, some organisms such as bacteria and archaea have been found to survive at temperatures close to -1000 degrees Celsius in extreme environments like the Antarctic ice sheets.

3. How does the behavior of materials change at -1000 degrees Celsius compared to room temperature?

At -1000 degrees Celsius, materials will generally become stiffer, more brittle, and less reactive compared to their behavior at room temperature. Some materials may also undergo phase changes, such as turning from a solid to a gas.

4. Are there any materials that are specifically designed to function at -1000 degrees Celsius?

Yes, some materials, such as superconductors, are designed to function at extremely low temperatures, including -1000 degrees Celsius. These materials have unique properties that allow them to conduct electricity with zero resistance at such cold temperatures.

5. What are the practical applications of materials at -1000 degrees Celsius?

The extreme cold of -1000 degrees Celsius is often used in scientific research and industrial processes. It can be used to freeze and preserve biological samples, as well as for cryogenic applications such as liquefying gases for storage and transportation.