Extracting eigenvalues from wavefunction

In summary: Of course you have to set m=0 for the cos term.)In summary, the conversation discusses the Hamiltonian for a rigid rotator confined to the xy plane, as well as the unnormalized wavefunction and its energy levels. The eigenfunctions and eigenvalues are found, and the expectation value of the energy is discussed. The position representation and the ket approach are also mentioned as possible methods for analyzing the wavefunction and obtaining measurements and their probabilities.
Ichimaru

Homework Statement

The Hamiltonian for a rigid rotator which is confined to rotatei n the xy plane is

\begin{equation}
H=-\frac{\hbar}{2I}\frac{\delta^{2}}{\delta\phi^{2}}
\end{equation}

where the angle $\phi$ specifies the orientation of the body and $I$ is the moment of inertia. Interpret this experession and fint the energy levels and egenfunctions of H.

The unnormalised wavefunction of the rotator at time t is

\begin{equation}
\psi(x) = 1 + 4 sin^{2}(x)

\end{equation}

Determine the possible results of a measurement of its energy and their relative probabilities. What is the expectation value of the energy of this state.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've found the eigenfunctions as

\begin{equation}

\psi_{m}(x)= Ae^{im\phi}

\end{equation}
\begin{equation}
E_{m}=\frac{ \hbar^{2} m^{2} }{2I}
\end{equation}
And m is any positive / negative integer.

But I don't really know how to analyse the wavefunction properly. We have always used the ket approach which is much simpler conceptually. Analagously I would apply the Hamiltonian to the wavefunction in the position representation, and try and factor out the original wavefunction times some number, which would be the relevant energy eigenvalue. But I can't seem to get anything understandable out.

Any help with how to understand getting measurements and their probabilities out of wavefunctions in general would be useful. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
We have always used the ket approach which is much simpler conceptually.
You can define |m> as your ##\psi_m## if you like, or just use ##|\psi_m \rangle##.
Calculating ##H \psi_m## in the position basis is straightforward here and you directly get the eigenvalue as result you posted.

Related to Extracting eigenvalues from wavefunction

1. What is the purpose of extracting eigenvalues from a wavefunction?

Extracting eigenvalues from a wavefunction allows us to determine the energy levels of a quantum system. This is important in understanding the behavior and properties of atoms, molecules, and other particles.

2. How is the wavefunction related to eigenvalues?

The wavefunction of a quantum system contains information about the possible states and energies of the system. The eigenvalues of the wavefunction correspond to the allowed energy levels of the system.

3. What methods are used to extract eigenvalues from a wavefunction?

There are several methods used to extract eigenvalues from a wavefunction, including the variational method, perturbation theory, and numerical techniques such as the finite difference method or the finite element method.

4. Can eigenvalues be extracted from any wavefunction?

No, eigenvalues can only be extracted from wavefunctions that satisfy the Schrödinger equation, which describes the behavior of quantum systems. Additionally, the wavefunction must be normalized and represent a physical state.

5. How are eigenvalues used in quantum mechanics?

Eigenvalues are used extensively in quantum mechanics to calculate the energy levels of a system, determine the probability of a particle being in a certain state, and to make predictions about the behavior of particles under different conditions.