External Weak Product is the Internal Weak Product of…

In summary: I} i_k(G_k) \rangle##, and thus the internal weak direct product of the subgroups ##\{i_k(G_k) \mid k \in I\}##. In summary, the external weak direct product of a family of groups is equivalent to the internal weak direct product of its subgroups, defined using the canonical embeddings. This result holds even if the subgroups are not normal in the external weak direct product.
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

Let ##\{G_i \mid i \in I\}## be a family of groups, then ##\prod^w G_i##, the external weak direct product, is the internal weak direct product of the subgroups ##\{i_k(G_k) \mid k \in I\}##, where ##i_k : G_k \to \prod G_i## is the canonical embedding.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have already shown that the ##i_k(G_k)## are normal in ##\prod^w G_i##, and clearly ##i_k(G_k) \cap \langle \bigcup_{k \in I} i_k(G_k) \rangle = \{e\}## But I don't see how this is true. Specifically, isn't ##\langle \bigcup_{k \in I} i_k(G_k) \rangle## bigger than ##\prod^w G_i##, as it contains elements whose every component is an nonidentity element? I could see ##\prod G_i##, the 'regular' direct product, being the internal weak direct product of these subgroups, but not ##\prod^w G_i##. What am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org

First of all, let's clarify the definitions of the external and internal weak direct products. The external weak direct product ##\prod^w G_i## is defined as the set of all functions ##f : I \to \bigcup_{i \in I} G_i## such that ##f(i) \in G_i## for all ##i \in I## and ##f(i) = e## for all but finitely many ##i \in I##, with the operation being defined pointwise. The internal weak direct product of the subgroups ##\{i_k(G_k) \mid k \in I\}## is defined as the subgroup of ##\prod^w G_i## consisting of all functions ##f : I \to \bigcup_{i \in I} G_i## such that ##f(i) \in i_k(G_k)## for all ##i \in I## and ##f(i) = e## for all but finitely many ##i \in I##.

Now, let's address your concern about ##\langle \bigcup_{k \in I} i_k(G_k) \rangle## being bigger than ##\prod^w G_i##. Note that, by definition, ##\langle \bigcup_{k \in I} i_k(G_k) \rangle## is the smallest subgroup of ##\prod^w G_i## containing all the elements of ##\bigcup_{k \in I} i_k(G_k)##. It may seem like this subgroup is bigger than ##\prod^w G_i##, but in reality it is not. In fact, we can show that ##\prod^w G_i## is contained in ##\langle \bigcup_{k \in I} i_k(G_k) \rangle##.

To see this, let ##f \in \prod^w G_i## be an element of the external weak direct product. Then, by definition, ##f(i) = e## for all but finitely many ##i \in I##. This means that ##f(i) \in i_k(G_k)## for all but finitely many ##i \in I##, which implies that ##f \in \langle \bigcup_{k \in I} i_k(G_k) \rangle##. Therefore, ##\prod^w G_i## is indeed a subgroup

Related to External Weak Product is the Internal Weak Product of…

1. What is the concept of "External Weak Product is the Internal Weak Product of…"?

The concept refers to a mathematical relationship between the external and internal weak product of a given structure or system. It states that the external weak product, which represents the interactions between the system and its environment, is equivalent to the internal weak product, which represents the interactions within the system itself.

2. How is the external weak product related to the internal weak product?

The external weak product is equal to the internal weak product multiplied by the inverse of the system's environment matrix. This relationship highlights the interconnectedness and interdependence between a system and its environment.

3. What is the significance of the external weak product and internal weak product in systems theory?

The external weak product and internal weak product are important concepts in systems theory as they help to explain the dynamics of complex systems. They highlight the role of both internal and external factors in shaping the behavior and functioning of a system.

4. Can the concept of "External Weak Product is the Internal Weak Product of…" be applied to all systems?

Yes, the concept is applicable to all types of systems, including physical, biological, and social systems. It can also be used to analyze the interactions between different systems and their environments.

5. How can the concept of "External Weak Product is the Internal Weak Product of…" be applied in practical situations?

The concept has practical applications in various fields, such as engineering, economics, and ecology. It can be used to analyze and improve the performance of systems, identify potential weaknesses and vulnerabilities, and design more resilient and adaptable systems.