External Electric Field of a Pulse Travelling in a Conductor

In summary: Electric fields around a conducting wireIn summary, an electric field will be emitted by a pulse traveling down a conductor. The magnitude and distribution will be determined by the geometry of the wire and its surroundings.
deathcloset
If I send a pulse down a conducting wire, does the pulse emit an electric field?

Engineering news on Phys.org
deathcloset said:
If I send a pulse down a conducting wire, does the pulse emit an electric field?

Welcome to the PF.

Your terminology is not quite right. In order for a pulse to propagate down a transmission line, there has to be a return path. See the animation at the top right of the wikipedia page on Transmission Lines:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmission_line

When you have a 2-conductor transmission line, you can make a pulse propagate down it by putting a step input voltage into it (like at the left of the figure). That voltage pulse propagates down the transmission line, with an electric field between the 2 conductors, and a current pulse induced in the 2 wires. The current does cause a magnetic B-field to be generated around each wire, but the electric E-field is mainly contained in the space between the two wires.

Thank you for the welcome :) -you answered my question succinctly, despite my poor terminology.

deathcloset said:
To launch a pulse of energy along a wire you will need some reference, another side to the system.
A pulse of energy will travel at close to the speed of light.

An electric field will appear between the wire and the reference, the other side of the system or other parts of the same wire.
A magnetic field will form about the wire due to the current in the pulse.
The impedance of the wire line will be the ratio of the electric to the magnetic field.

So yes, an electric field will be emitted by the pulse as it travels along the wire.
Relative field magnitude and distribution will be determined by the geometry of the wire and it's surroundings.

Fascinating.

This forum is awesome!

Thanks again :)

deathcloset said:

The nearest thing to what you seem to have in mind is the Goubau Line, which consists of a single conductor transmission line. See this link.

You can look upon it as a coaxial line with the outer at 'infinity'. You can launch a pulse at one end with a tapered horn and receive it at the other with a similar horn. The wave that is launched is tied to the line on its journey. Ideally, no power is actually radiated (within limits of course).
I remember it being considered, in my department, as a way of getting signals up to a balloon mounted transmitter for transmitter site surveys. Afaik, it was not actually used but it was an interesting idea.

Likes 1 person
deathcloset said:
Title “External Electric Field of a Pulse Travelling in a Conductor
It should be noted here that only very low frequency current has sufficient time to diffuse into and so flow in a conductor.
A pulse travels at close to the speed of light on, or in the surface skin of the conductor, as an EM surface guided wave.

So when a pulse travels along a Conductor it is an External Electric Field.
There is no pulse of current deeper inside the conductor.

G-Lines and now E-Lines:
Adventures in Engineering - E-Line data transmission via single conductor power wire.
http://mackys.livejournal.com/935479.html
Which leads to a 1.2Mbyte pdf.
Introduction to the Propagating Wave on a Single Conductor
http://www.corridor.biz/FullArticle.pdf
Re: Balloons, see; Illustration 14:

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to External Electric Field of a Pulse Travelling in a Conductor

1. What is an external electric field?

An external electric field is a type of force field that is created by the presence of electric charges. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, and is measured in units of volts per meter (V/m).

2. How does a pulse travel in a conductor?

A pulse travelling in a conductor is a phenomenon in which an electric field is induced in a material, causing the movement of free electrons. This flow of electrons creates a current, which in turn generates a magnetic field that interacts with the electric field, causing the pulse to travel along the length of the conductor.

3. What factors affect the strength of the external electric field?

The strength of an external electric field is influenced by several factors, including the magnitude and direction of the charges creating the field, the distance between the charges, and the properties of the material through which the field is passing.

4. How is the external electric field of a pulse measured and represented?

The external electric field of a pulse can be measured using an electric field sensor, which detects the strength and direction of the field. It is often represented graphically using field lines, which show the direction and relative strength of the field at different points in space.

5. What are some practical applications of understanding the external electric field of a pulse in a conductor?

Understanding the external electric field of a pulse in a conductor has many practical applications, such as in the design of electrical circuits and devices, in the transmission and distribution of electricity, and in the study of electromagnetic waves and radiation. It is also important in industries such as telecommunications, power generation, and electronics.