External Ballistics: Deriving Equations for Long-Range Shooting

• Thread starter MechSoup
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ballistics
In summary, the speaker watched the movie Shooter and became curious about the difficulty of making long-range shots portrayed in the movie. They attempted to derive a formula for this but realized that it becomes more difficult when considering air resistance. They made assumptions about the relationship between bullet velocity and drag force, but are unsure if their equations are reasonable. They are also unsure if the constant of proportionality is the Ballistic Coefficient and if the formula can be improved to incorporate other factors like Coriolis Drift, wind effects, and air density. The speaker is seeking help and clarifies that this is not a homework assignment. They also mention their struggles in trying to describe the ballistics of a projectile without using the ballistic coefficient.
MechSoup
After watching the movie Shooter, my mind began to wonder how difficult it really is to make these “long-range” shots like they portrayed in the movie. Could it really be so easy? So I began thinking of how I could derive such formula’s. I, honestly, didn’t know much about the subject, however I thought I would take a stab at it.

My approach was to first look at the 2-Dimensional world where two perspectives would be observed: without air resistance, and with air resistance. The “without air resistance” part was simple projectile motion and did not yield anything of real world value, so I moved on. When it comes to air resistance things become much more difficult, and thus I had to make some basic assumptions about the relationship of the bullet velocity and the dreaded drag force. I read in a Differential Equations book that for small and slow moving objects the drag force was proportional to the objects velocity, where as, a large and fast moving objects drag force was proportional to the square of the objects velocity.

I began to think that the horizontal velocity of a bullet is relatively slow compared to it’s horizontal velocity (after a given amount a time this would be untrue, but I made the assumption that the bullet would hit the target before this happened) so I made an assumption that is displayed on the below pages.

So to get to the point, I derived some equations and have no idea if they sound reasonable. I really have no experience with the matter to make real world sense of this. This is where I need your help. These are my questions:

1) Does it make sense within the assumptions?
2) Is the constant of proportionality the Ballistic Coefficient?
3) To improve the formula, assuming it is valid, would the formula further hold to incorporate such things as, Coriolis Drift, Wind effects, Air density, ect?

I suppose I should mention that this is NOT a homework assignment. And
that throughout the problem wind effects, ect. were not considered.

Thanks.

NOTE: For the vertical motion equation, I flipped the positive and negative directions.

Attachments

• 2-D(1).jpg
    2-D(1).jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 298
  • 2-D(2).jpg
    2-D(2).jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 494
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I recently spent a fair amount of time trying to write a mathematical expression to describe the trajectory of a projectile fired from a rifle without using the specific ballistic coefficient. My postulate was that using the simple wind load equation was the major contributor to drag. I'm a retired mechanical engineer and drag is fairly complex. I was going to incorporate the shape of the projectile as a coefficient in the calculation. The hurtle for me was writing the proper integral for handling jerk. From Bernoulli V^2=2*g*h and I used .078 pounds per cubic foot for air's density. I wasn't successful in my attempt to describe the ballistics of a given projectile mathematically without using the ballistic coefficient. It was fun while it lasted. I've all but given up in developing my postulate.

Related to External Ballistics: Deriving Equations for Long-Range Shooting

1. What is external ballistics?

External ballistics is the study of the behavior of a projectile (such as a bullet) after it has left the barrel of a firearm. It involves understanding factors such as gravity, air resistance, and wind that affect the trajectory of the projectile and its impact on the target.

2. Why is it important to derive equations for long-range shooting?

Deriving equations for long-range shooting allows for a more precise and accurate understanding of how a bullet will behave at longer distances. This information is crucial for marksmen who need to make adjustments to their aim in order to hit a target at a specific distance.

3. What are the key factors that affect external ballistics?

The key factors that affect external ballistics include the initial velocity of the projectile, the mass and shape of the projectile, the angle of the barrel, air resistance, gravity, and wind.

4. How do you calculate the trajectory of a bullet?

To calculate the trajectory of a bullet, you need to consider the initial velocity, the mass and shape of the bullet, and the forces acting upon it (such as gravity, air resistance, and wind). Using these factors, you can use mathematical equations to predict the path of the bullet and where it will hit the target.

5. Can external ballistics be used for other types of projectiles besides bullets?

Yes, external ballistics can be applied to any type of projectile, such as arrows, rockets, or even objects thrown by hand. The principles and equations used for external ballistics can be adapted to fit the specific characteristics and behavior of different types of projectiles.