Express the indefinite integral as a power series.

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the integral of (e^x -1)/x and whether treating it as a Taylor series is a valid approach. It is suggested to rewrite it as ex/x - 1/x and use the known series expansion of ex to find the series for ex/x. The conversation also mentions the need to ensure that the resultant series converges.
Sabricd
Hello,

I'm kind of stuck in this problem. I have to express the integral as a power series.

the integral of (e^x -1)/x

I thought about evaluating it as f(x)=(e^x -1)/x and treating it as a Taylor series is that correct? Could I have any other hints?

I would really appreciate it!
-Sabrina

Physics news on Phys.org
Rewrite it as ex[/su]/x - 1/x

and you know the series form for ex.

I'm sorry I'm not sure I understood that :(

-Sabrina

Would it be pointless to treat it as f(x)=(e^x -1)/x and then take its fourth derivative and use Taylor series then?

Sabricd said:
Would it be pointless to treat it as f(x)=(e^x -1)/x and then take its fourth derivative and use Taylor series then?

It would be the same thing, but it would take more work to find the series for (ex-1)/x than taking subbing the series for ex into

∫(ex/x - 1/x) dx

This one doesn't have an antiderivative so you have to express first (exp(x)-1)/x as a Taylor series and then integrate term by term, and you have to make sure that the resultant series converges.

You already know the series expansion of exp(x), so it's easy to find the series of exp(x)/x just divide each term by x, and then substract the series expansion of 1/x.

Last edited:
Hi,
OK. So would it be correct if I do:
f(x)=(e^x-1)/x
f(x)=e^x/x - 1/x
[tex]\Sigma[/tex](e^x)/x -[tex]\Sigma[/tex](1/x)

(1/x)[tex]\Sigma[/tex](e^x) -[tex]\Sigma[/tex](1/x)
(1/x)[tex]\Sigma[/tex](x^n/n!) - [tex]\Sigma[/tex](1/x)

...is this correct? that's what I have so far and I'm not really sure if it's right.

Thank you,
-Sabrina

Related to Express the indefinite integral as a power series.

What is an indefinite integral?

An indefinite integral is a mathematical operation that represents the inverse of the derivative. It is used to find the original function when only its derivative is known.

What is a power series?

A power series is a mathematical representation of a function as an infinite sum of terms, each of which is a power of the independent variable multiplied by a coefficient. It is used to approximate functions and solve certain types of problems in calculus.

Why would you want to express an indefinite integral as a power series?

Expressing an indefinite integral as a power series can make it easier to manipulate and evaluate the integral. It can also help to approximate the integral in cases where the exact solution is not possible.

How do you express an indefinite integral as a power series?

To express an indefinite integral as a power series, you need to use a technique called integration by substitution. This involves substituting a new variable into the integral and then manipulating it to resemble a known power series. Once this is done, the integral can be evaluated using the coefficients of the power series.

What are some applications of expressing an indefinite integral as a power series?

Some applications of expressing an indefinite integral as a power series include finding the area under a curve, solving differential equations, and approximating solutions to equations that cannot be solved analytically. It is also used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.