Exponential sums and congruences

In summary, the conversation discusses the exponential sum [itex]S[/tex] and its real part [itex]\Re(S)[/tex], which is equal to the number of solutions of the congruence [itex]f(x) \equiv 0 \pmod{p}[/tex] on the interval [itex](1,N)[/tex], where [itex]f(x)[/tex] is a polynomial and [itex]p[/tex] is a chosen prime. The conversation also raises questions about the existence of other solutions and the need for additional bounds in a theorem.
mhill
let be the exponential sum

[tex] S= \sum_{n=1}^{N}e( \frac{f(x)}{p}) [/tex]

[tex] e(x)= exp( 2i \pi x) [/tex]

my conjecture is that since the complex exponential takes its maximum value '1' when x is equal to an integer then

[tex] Re(S)= \Pi (f,N) [/tex] with [tex]\Pi (f,N) [/tex] is the number of solutions on the interval (1,N) of the congruence

[tex] f(x) =0 mod(p) [/tex] and f(x) is a Polynomial.

Physics news on Phys.org
Forgive me if this is a stupid question- but what's [itex]p[/tex]? Or did you mean [itex]n[/tex] instead or [itex]p[/tex] as the number of prime factors of [itex]n[/tex] or something?

any prime

soandos said:
any prime
I still don't get over what exactly that summation for [itex]S[/tex] is done. A clarification please?

o sorry.. i should have written

[tex] S= \sum_{n=1}^{N}e( \frac{f(n)}{p}) [/tex]

the sum is taken over 'n' but if the prime 'p' divides f(n) then the complex exponential is equal to '1'

Okay then [itex]p[/tex] is a prime of one's choosing.

We have,

[tex]S = \sum_{n = 1}^{N} \exp{\left(\frac{2\pi i}{p}f(n)\right)}[/tex]

Then,
[tex]\Re(S) = \sum_{n = 1}^{N} \cos{\left(\frac{2\pi}{p}f(n)\right)}[/tex]

If [itex]f(n)[/tex] is a multiple of [itex]p[/tex], then the the real part of [itex]S[/tex] will 'count' each solution of that congruence, but what about certain [itex]f(n)[/tex] values that don't and hence give rise to non-zero real and imaginary components? They won't be 1 in a single go, but they can possibly accumulate to values greater than 1 I think. So some bounds for such a theorem also become necessary if I haven't missed anything.

Last edited:

Related to Exponential sums and congruences

1. What are exponential sums and congruences?

Exponential sums and congruences are mathematical tools used to study the behavior of exponential functions modulo a given number. They involve the sum of complex exponential functions raised to different powers and can be used to study the distribution of prime numbers and other important phenomena in number theory.

2. How are exponential sums and congruences used in number theory?

Exponential sums and congruences are used to study the distribution of prime numbers, the behavior of arithmetic functions, and the properties of algebraic integers. They have also been used in cryptography and coding theory.

3. What is the most famous result related to exponential sums and congruences?

The most famous result related to exponential sums and congruences is the Gauss' quadratic reciprocity law, which states that the Legendre symbol of a prime p modulo another prime q is equal to (-1)^(p-1)(q-1)/4. This result has many important applications in number theory, including the determination of quadratic residues and non-residues.

4. What are some open problems related to exponential sums and congruences?

Some open problems related to exponential sums and congruences include the Generalized Riemann Hypothesis, the Goldbach Conjecture, and the Twin Prime Conjecture. These problems involve studying the behavior of exponential sums and congruences in relation to the distribution of prime numbers.

5. How do exponential sums and congruences relate to other areas of mathematics?

Exponential sums and congruences have connections to a variety of areas in mathematics, including algebraic geometry, representation theory, and harmonic analysis. They are also used in the study of elliptic curves and other objects in algebraic number theory.