Exponential growth of populations (Q=Ae^kt)

In summary, the number of days it will take for there to be 500 rabbits in a colony, based on the given formula N=80e^(0.02t), is approximately 92 days. This is found by dividing both sides of the equation 80e^(0.02t)=500 by 80 and then taking the natural logarithm of both sides to isolate the exponent. The answer is t=92 days.
Alistair

Homework Statement

The number of rabbits in a colony is given by N=80e^(0.02t) where t is in days.
c) After how many days will there be 500 rabbits?

N=500
A=80
k=0.02
t=?

Homework Equations

(ln being the exponential logarithm)
Q=Ae^kt
and possibly the conversion formula: ln y = x --> y=e^x

The Attempt at a Solution

what i tried was coverting Q=Ae^kt to A ln Q=kt
Then divided both sudes by x to give:

A ln Q = t
k

Which after substitution looked like this:

80 ln 500 = t

Which gave t=24,858 days.
where as the answer is 92 days...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Alistair said:

Homework Statement

The number of rabbits in a colony is given by N=80e^(0.02t) where t is in days.
c) After how many days will there be 500 rabbits?

N=500
A=80
k=0.02
t=?

Homework Equations

(ln being the exponential logarithm)
Q=Ae^kt
and possibly the conversion formula: ln y = x --> y=e^x

The Attempt at a Solution

what i tried was coverting Q=Ae^kt to A ln Q=xt
Then divided both sudes by x to give:

A ln Q = t
x
This equation is wrong. Perhaps you are getting confused with your variables; there's no reason to introduce x, stick with A, k and t and try again.

marcusl said:
This equation is wrong. Perhaps you are getting confused with your variables; there's no reason to introduce x, stick with A, k and t and try again.

Yeah i ment k not x.
in my maths book in the examples it has x. but it still doesn't work with k in there... :frown:

Start by dividing both sides by 80, so you isolate the exponent part. From there it might seem easier.

danago said:
Start by dividing both sides by 80, so you isolate the exponent part. From there it might seem easier.

i don't know how dividing both sides by 80 will make it easier or alter the answer in any way...
i want to know if there is a problem with my working. I am not sure if it is even the right formula...

Alistair said:
Yeah i ment k not x.
in my maths book in the examples it has x. but it still doesn't work with k in there... :frown:
If you really believe that using the letter "x" gives you a different equation that using the letter "k", you need to review basic algebra!

danago said:

Alistair said:
i don't know how dividing both sides by 80 will make it easier or alter the answer in any way...
i want to know if there is a problem with my working. I am not sure if it is even the right formula...

You have already been told that there is a problem with your "working"!

You are given the formula [itex]N= 80e^{0.02t}[/itex] so of course, that the correct formula. You are also told that N= 500 so the equation you want to solve is [itex]80 e^{0.02t}= 500[/itex]. Surely, it would be an obvious first step to divide both sides by 80? After you have done that take the natural logarithm of both sides.

ok got it.
500 = 80e^0.02t
goes to
ln 6.25 = t

Okay, now, what is your answer to the question?

Related to Exponential growth of populations (Q=Ae^kt)

1. What is exponential growth of populations?

Exponential growth of populations is a mathematical model that describes the rapid increase in the size of a population over time, assuming a constant growth rate.

2. How is the exponential growth model represented?

The exponential growth model is represented by the equation Q = Ae^kt, where Q is the size of the population at a given time, A is the initial population size, e is the mathematical constant approximately equal to 2.718, and k is the growth rate.

3. What factors influence exponential growth of populations?

The two main factors that influence exponential growth of populations are the birth rate and death rate. A high birth rate and low death rate will result in a higher growth rate, leading to exponential growth of the population. Environmental factors such as availability of resources and disease can also impact population growth.

4. What is the significance of the growth rate (k) in the exponential growth model?

The growth rate (k) in the exponential growth model determines how quickly the population will increase in size. A higher growth rate means a faster increase in population size, while a lower growth rate results in a slower increase.

5. Is exponential growth sustainable for a population?

No, exponential growth is not sustainable for a population in the long term. Eventually, the population will reach its carrying capacity and the growth rate will slow down or plateau. If the population continues to grow exponentially, it can lead to depletion of resources and other negative consequences for the environment and the population itself.