Exponential Growth for Pre-Calculus

In summary: Something isn't adding up quite right sir, I am getting a negattive number[/I]wait, edit, it's ln 8 not 80. Thank you integral YOU ARE SO NICE. thank u so much.You have been told exactly what to do. Why do you keep whining 'do it for me! Do it for me!'?
PrecalcStuden
Hi everyone.

My final is coming up for Precalc, and I'm studying my butt off.

I was really needing help with this Exponential Growth Equation to find variable t.

8.0e^(.033t) = 59.8e^(.001t)

(8 times e to the .033t equals 59.8 times e to the .001t)

I would greatly appreciate this because I'm stressing out for my finals. I have always been bad at this stuff

Physics news on Phys.org
Just take the logarithm of both sides and it's easy to solve.

CRGreathouse said:

I know it sounds like I'm asking you to do it for me, but I really don't know where to begin. I'm confuzed because of the coefficients, because i can just natural log both sides if there weren't any.

If you can please guide me good sir, I KNOW I can do the rest of this subchapter by myself. Thanks a bunch

CRGreathouse said:

I know it's simple for you, but I swear it's so complicated for me. Please, this would really help me my kind sir

What do you know about logs?

Review the basic laws, look especially at logs and multiplication. Also study the relationship between e and ln.

Integral said:
What do you know about logs?

Review the basic laws, look especially at logs and multiplication. Also study the relationship between e and ln.

I know about logs my good sir. It's just this one problem tripping me up. I just really need someone to show me how its done, and your help will defaintely be appreciated. Should i make one side equal zero? i just don't know,

will someone please help, this is the last problem i need and I am done with this sub chater

Please help me with this 1 equation. Then i'll be done with this subchapter

Please, I really need help with this.

I have to solve for t here.

8.0e^( .033t ) = 59.8e^ (.001t)

Please, i just really need you to show me how this is done.

exey = ex+y

Borek said:
exey = ex+y

I know that, but this is a weird one with weird coefficients. Please just walk me through this. gosh, I am stressing out already

CRGreathouse said:
So CRGreathouse is suggesting to do this:

[tex]8.0e^{.033t} = 59.8e^{.001t}[/tex]

[tex]\ln{(8.0e^{.033t})} = \ln{(59.8e^{.001t})}[/tex]

Tell us what to do next.01

so will it then turn into

ln 8.0 (.033t) = ln 59.8 (.001t)

Please I've been wait all day just to solve this one dang problem.

PrecalcStuden said:
so will it then turn into

ln 8.0 (.033t) = ln 59.8 (.001t)

Please I've been wait all day just to solve this one dang problem.

No, You need to use the laws for logs and multiplication.

Integral said:
No, You need to use the laws for logs and multiplication.

integral, i beg of you. i just really need someone to help me with this mroe in depth. I've been waiting all day, i would really appreciate it integral. please

would someone pklease help me. I am begign you guys. I need help with this. geeze

would someone please help me I am freaking begging you. I am down on my knees

WOULD SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME

im begging yiou guys

We need to see some effort on your part. Show me that you have even tried to apply the hints you have been given.

Your problem is of the form:

[tex] A e^x = B e^y [/tex]
So taking the ln:
[tex] ln(A e^x) = ln (B e^y) [/tex]

since ln(a * b ) = lna + lnb
[tex] lnA + ln(e^x) = lnB + ln(e^y) [/tex]

Can you finish?

Integral said:
We need to see some effort on your part. Show me that you have even tried to apply the hints you have been given.

Your problem is of the form:

[tex] A e^x = B e^y [/tex]
So taking the ln:
[tex] ln(A e^x) = ln (B e^y) [/tex]

since ln(a * b ) = lna + lnb
[tex] lnA + ln(e^x) = lnB + ln(e^y) [/tex]

Can you finish?

Integral, thank you kind sir.

Let's see here.

Yes sir.

Looks like it will be

ln 80 + .033t = ln 59.8 + .001t

From there

ln 80 - ln 59.8 = .001t - .033t

ln 80 - ln 59.8 = -.032
then divide and use a calculatrosomething isn't adding up quite right sir, I am getting a negattive numbe[/I]

wait, edit, it's ln 8 not 80. Thank you integral YOU ARE SO NICE. thank u so much.

Last edited:
You have been helped repeatedly. How about doing something yourself?\
You have been told exactly what to do. Why do you keep whining "do it for me! Do it for me!"?

Related to Exponential Growth for Pre-Calculus

1. What is exponential growth?

Exponential growth is a type of growth where the quantity increases at a constant rate over a period of time. This means that the larger the quantity becomes, the faster it grows. It can be represented by the equation y = ab^x, where a is the initial quantity, b is the base, and x is the number of time periods.

2. How is exponential growth different from linear growth?

In exponential growth, the quantity increases at an increasing rate, while in linear growth, the quantity increases at a constant rate. This means that in exponential growth, the larger the quantity becomes, the faster it grows, whereas in linear growth, the quantity increases by the same amount over a period of time.

3. What are some real-life examples of exponential growth?

Some examples of exponential growth include population growth, compound interest on investments, and the spread of diseases. In each of these cases, the quantity increases at a constant rate over time, resulting in exponential growth.

4. How do you graph exponential growth?

To graph exponential growth, plot points on a coordinate plane using the equation y = ab^x. The points should increase at an increasing rate, forming a curve that gets steeper as x increases. You can also use a graphing calculator to plot the points and draw the curve.

5. What is the formula for finding the doubling time in exponential growth?

The formula for finding the doubling time in exponential growth is t = log(2)/log(b), where t is the time it takes for the quantity to double, and b is the base of the exponential growth function. This formula can be used to calculate the time it takes for any quantity to double in size during exponential growth.