Exponential Growth & Decay Question

In summary, after setting up two equations and solving for the value of k, we can find the initial amount of Kool-Aid powder (x(not)) and the amount remaining after 5 minutes. By converting from exponential to logarithmic form, we can obtain exact values for k and x(not).
ISITIEIW
Suppose that there is initially x(not) grams of Kool-Aid powder in a glass of water. After 1 minute there are 3 grams remaining and after 3 minutes there is only 1 gram remaining. Find x(not) and the amount of Kool-Aid powder remaining after 5 minutes…

So, i set up 2 equations…

3=x(not)e^-k(1)

and 1=x(not)e^-k(3)

I know it is decaying ,but i don't know what i have to do with these equations that i made to find the value of k.

Thanks !

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Since there is no actual calculus involve in solving this problem, I am going to move the topic to our Pre-Calculus sub-forum.

You're off to a good start:

\(\displaystyle x_0e^{-k}=3\)

\(\displaystyle x_0e^{-3k}=1\)

I think what I would do next is solve both equations for $x_0$ and equate:

\(\displaystyle x_0=3e^{k}=e^{3k}\)

Next try dividing through by $e^k$ and then convert from exponential to logarithmic form.

Thanks!
I got k to be 0.549306144
and got a x(not) value of 5.196152423

I got it from here !

ISITIEIW said:
Thanks!
I got k to be 0.549306144
and got a x(not) value of 5.196152423

I got it from here !

You're welcome! :D

I would get in the habit of obtaining/writing exact values rather than decimal approximations. I find:

\(\displaystyle k=\ln\left(\sqrt{3} \right)\)

\(\displaystyle x_0=3\sqrt{3}\)

I realize it is possible that you found these values and simply chose to write the approximations. (Angel)

To find the value of k, we can use the fact that exponential decay follows the function y = ae^(-kt), where a is the initial amount and k is the decay constant. In this case, a = x(not) and t = 1, so we can substitute these values into the first equation:

3 = x(not)e^(-k)

Similarly, for the second equation, we have a = x(not) and t = 3, so we can substitute these values and solve for k:

1 = x(not)e^(-3k)

Now we can use algebra to solve for k. We can divide the second equation by the first equation to eliminate x(not):

1/3 = e^(-2k)

Taking the natural logarithm of both sides, we get:

ln(1/3) = -2k

Solving for k, we get:

k = -ln(1/3) ≈ 1.099

Now that we have the value of k, we can use it to find the initial amount, x(not), and the amount remaining after 5 minutes. Substituting k = 1.099 and t = 5 into our original equation, we get:

3 = x(not)e^(-1.099*5)

Solving for x(not), we get:

x(not) = 3/e^(-5.495) ≈ 10.5 grams

So, the initial amount of Kool-Aid powder was approximately 10.5 grams and after 5 minutes, there will be about 0.5 grams remaining. This shows that the Kool-Aid powder is decaying at a rate of approximately 1.099 grams per minute.

Related to Exponential Growth & Decay Question

1. What is exponential growth and decay?

Exponential growth and decay refer to the phenomenon where a quantity increases or decreases at an ever-increasing rate. This occurs when the rate of change is proportional to the current value of the quantity.

2. How is exponential growth and decay calculated?

Exponential growth and decay can be calculated using the formula A = A0 * (1 ± r)^t, where A is the final amount, A0 is the initial amount, r is the rate of growth or decay, and t is the time period.

3. What are some real-life examples of exponential growth and decay?

Exponential growth and decay can be observed in population growth, the spread of diseases, and the decay of radioactive materials. It can also be seen in financial investments and the growth of social media platforms.

4. How does the rate of growth or decay affect exponential growth and decay?

The rate of growth or decay is a crucial factor in determining the speed at which exponential growth or decay occurs. A higher rate will result in faster growth or decay, while a lower rate will result in slower growth or decay.

5. What are the applications of exponential growth and decay in science?

Exponential growth and decay are used in various scientific fields, such as biology, ecology, finance, and physics. They are used to model natural processes, predict future trends, and analyze data in experiments and studies.