Exponential Growth and Decay: Differentiating with Respect to Time

In summary: A(t) \ = \ A_0 e^r^t A'(t) \ = \ rA_0 e^r^t A_0 is just a constant. A_0 e^r^t \ = \ A(t) so in the second version they've just rewritten the derivative as r times the original function : A'(t) \ = \ rA_0 e^r^t \ = r A(t) . There's no need to use implicit differentiation, I'm curious why you thought you needed to use it?In summary, the author is discussing how to differentiate a function, and shows how to do it using
ivan77
Hello,

for continuous compouding (in the exponential growth and decay) the function for interest after t years is:

A(t) = A0*e^rt
A0 should be read A at time 0

in the book, they say when you differentiate this function this is what you get

dA/dt = r*A0*e^rt = rA(t)

I don't see how to do this differentiation to finally come up with rA(t). I am getting something else using implicit differentiation.

Thanks,

Ivan

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] A(t) \ = \ A_0 e^r^t [/tex]

[tex] A'(t) \ = \ rA_0 e^r^t [/tex]

A_0 is just a constant. [tex] A_0 e^r^t \ = \ A(t) [/tex] so in the second version they've just rewritten the derivative as r times the original function : [tex] A'(t) \ = \ rA_0 e^r^t \ = r A(t) [/tex] . There's no need to use implicit differentiation, I'm curious why you thought you needed to use it?

sponsoredwalk said:
[tex] A(t) \ = \ A_0 e^r^t [/tex]

[tex] A'(t) \ = \ rA_0 e^r^t [/tex]

A_0 is just a constant. [tex] A_0 e^r^t \ = \ A(t) [/tex] so in the second version they've just rewritten the derivative as r times the original function : [tex] A'(t) \ = \ rA_0 e^r^t \ = r A(t) [/tex] . There's no need to use implicit differentiation, I'm curious why you thought you needed to use it?

Thanks for the reply.

I now realize that impl diff doesn't make any sense (lets call it the severe flu I am fighting). The question I still have is this:

d/dt A0*e^rt
take A0 out and differentiate e^rt with respect to t
Chain ruls has d/dt e^rt = e^rt * d/dt rt
d/dt rt (using product rule) = r*d/dt t + t* d/dt r = r + t dr/dt

Where does the 'r' from (as r times the original function) come from. What is wrong with my differentiation. I am not getting simply r * the original function as the derivative.

Thanks,

Ivan

Both methods work and in both methods you'll notice that r is a constant so it will drop out.

I'll just tell you that you wouldn't need to use the product rule when you're differentiating a constant times a variable but it is handy to notice you can use both methods for the future.

From reading this I don't think you understand the chain rule properly, not only should you notice that you're differentiating with respect to time (t) but that everything else in the function is just a constant.

www.khanacademy.org
http://www.ltcconline.net/greenl/courses/105/videos/VideoIndex.htm
http://online.math.uh.edu/HoustonACT/videocalculus/index.html

Some helpful videos if you're still a bit unsure just watch the ones relevant to you then come back and ask anything else if you're still a bit confused.

Take Care :)

sponsoredwalk said:
Both methods work and in both methods you'll notice that r is a constant so it will drop out.

I'll just tell you that you wouldn't need to use the product rule when you're differentiating a constant times a variable but it is handy to notice you can use both methods for the future.

From reading this I don't think you understand the chain rule properly, not only should you notice that you're differentiating with respect to time (t) but that everything else in the function is just a constant.

www.khanacademy.org
http://www.ltcconline.net/greenl/courses/105/videos/VideoIndex.htm
http://online.math.uh.edu/HoustonACT/videocalculus/index.html

Some helpful videos if you're still a bit unsure just watch the ones relevant to you then come back and ask anything else if you're still a bit confused.

Take Care :)

That is exactl it! I didnt realize that r in this case was a constant. That totally makes sense now. The differentiation with respect to t of rt would simply be r.

much appreciated! Thanks for the links as well.

Ivan

Related to Exponential Growth and Decay: Differentiating with Respect to Time

What is exponential growth?

Exponential growth is a type of growth where a quantity increases at a constant rate over time. This results in a rapid increase in the value of the quantity, often represented by a steep curve on a graph.

What is the formula for exponential growth?

The formula for exponential growth is y = ab^x, where y is the final value, a is the initial value, and b is the growth factor. This formula is used to calculate the value of a quantity at a given time when it is growing exponentially.

What is exponential decay?

Exponential decay is a type of decrease where a quantity decreases at a constant rate over time. This results in a rapid decrease in the value of the quantity, often represented by a steep curve on a graph.

What is the formula for exponential decay?

The formula for exponential decay is y = ab^x, where y is the final value, a is the initial value, and b is the decay factor. This formula is used to calculate the value of a quantity at a given time when it is decaying exponentially.

What are some real-life examples of exponential growth and decay?

Exponential growth can be seen in population growth, compound interest, and the spread of diseases. Exponential decay can be seen in the decay of radioactive materials, the loss of heat in a cooling object, and the decrease in the value of a car over time.