Exponential Distribution Probability

In summary, the conversation discusses the probability of the first success occurring in the fifth observation for a brand of low-grade lightbulbs with an exponential distribution and a mean of 0.6 years. The calculation involves using the formula F(x) = 1 - e^(-t/mean) and finding the probability of failure before one year. The correct calculation is P(first success on 5th) = p(fail)^4*p(success). The conversation also covers finding the probability of the second success occurring in the 8th observation given that the first success occurred in the 3rd observation, and the probability of the first success occurring in an odd-numbered observation.
hahaha158

Homework Statement

The life times, Y in years of a certain brand of low-grade lightbulbs follow an exponential distribution with a mean of 0.6 years. A tester makes random observations of the life times of this particular brand of lightbulbs and records them one by one as either a success if the life time exceeds 1 year, or as a failure otherwise.

Part a) Find the probability to 3 decimal places that the first success occurs in the fifth observation.

Part b) Find the probability to 3 decimal places of the second success occurring in the 8th observation given that the first success occurred in the 3rd observation.

Part c) Find the probability to 2 decimal places that the first success occurs in an odd-numbered observation. That is, the first success occurs in the 1st or 3rd or 5th or 7th (and so on) observation.

Homework Equations

Z= (x-mean)/stddev

The Attempt at a Solution

for part a)
Assuming that each test is independent, I needP(Y1<1, Y2<1, Y3<1, Y4<1, Y5>1) = (P(Y<1))^4 P(Y>1) by independence.
So
I found E(X) = 0.6 and Var(X) = 0.36 so STDEV = 0.6. Then I found the Z score to be 0.667, which corresponded to P(Y<1) = 0.7486.

So I then did (0.7486)4 * (1 -0.7486) which gave me 0.0789, but this is incorrect. Do you see where I made a mistake?

Am I doing it completely wrong?

Any help is appreciated, thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You calculated normal distribution and not exponential.

RUber said:
You calculated normal distribution and not exponential.
What formula am I meant to use? I only see F(x) = 1 - e^(lamda*t) but that doesn't look like the appropriate formula for this question

Check that formula for how lambda relates to the mean.
I think normally you want exp(-t/mean) for exponential.

RUber said:
Check that formula for how lambda relates to the mean.
I think normally you want exp(-t/mean) for exponential.
I realize that lamda is just 1/mean but I am unsure what to use for t, can I just use t = 5? This seems like the probability that the first success is WITHIN the first 5 tries rather than on the 5th try like required

T is the time of the event. You are running the test for 1 year. Find the probability of failure before one year. Success is 1-p(fail).
You can use the rest of your logic from above. P(first success on 5th) = p(fail)^4*p(success)

RUber said:
T is the time of the event. You are running the test for 1 year. Find the probability of failure before one year. Success is 1-p(fail).
You can use the rest of your logic from above. P(first success on 5th) = p(fail)^4*p(success)

got it, thanks!

Related to Exponential Distribution Probability

1. What is the definition of exponential distribution probability?

Exponential distribution probability is a statistical distribution that describes the probability of time intervals between independent events occurring at a constant rate. It is commonly used to model the time between events, such as the time between phone calls or the time between arrivals at a specific location.

2. How is exponential distribution probability calculated?

The formula for calculating exponential distribution probability is P(x) = λe^(-λx), where λ is the rate parameter and x is the time interval between events. This formula can be used to calculate the probability of a specific time interval occurring between events.

3. What is the mean and standard deviation of an exponential distribution?

The mean of an exponential distribution is equal to 1/λ, and the standard deviation is also equal to 1/λ. This means that the average time between events is equal to the rate parameter, and the variability of the data is also dependent on the rate parameter.

4. What are the applications of exponential distribution probability in real life?

Exponential distribution probability is commonly used in various fields, such as finance, physics, engineering, and biology. It can be used to model the time between stock market crashes, the decay of radioactive materials, or the time between mutations in genetic sequences.

5. How does an exponential distribution differ from other probability distributions?

An exponential distribution differs from other distributions, such as normal or binomial distribution, in that it is a continuous distribution and is skewed to the right. This means that the majority of the data falls towards the lower end of the distribution, with a long tail towards the higher end.