Exponential Convolution Erlang

In summary, the conversation discussed the difficulty of proving the Erlang distribution from n iid Exponential distributions using convolution. The conversation suggested using the convolution theorem and provided a resource for a step-by-step proof. The conversation also showed an example of integrating with respect to s and how it relates to the general result for the Erlang density.
ghostyc
Hi all,

I am now doing revision for one of the statistics module.

I am having some difficulty to proove the following:

Given n iid Exponential distribution with rate parameter [tex]\mu[/tex],

using convolution to show that the sum of them is Erlang distribution with density

[tex] f(x) = \mu \frac{(\mu x)^{k-1}} {(k-1)!} \exp(-\mu x) [/tex]

I have read many book, which all have seen to ommitted the proof or
let as an exercise.

Can someone help?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
ghostyc said:
Hi all,

I am now doing revision for one of the statistics module.

I am having some difficulty to proove the following:

Given n iid Exponential distribution with rate parameter [tex]\mu[/tex],

using convolution to show that the sum of them is Erlang distribution with density

[tex] f(x) = \mu \frac{(\mu x)^{k-1}} {(k-1)!} \exp(-\mu x) [/tex]

I have read many book, which all have seen to ommitted the proof or
let as an exercise.

Can someone help?

Thanks!

Do you know the definition of convolution? The application of how it applies to finding the distribution of P(X1 + X2 + X3 + ... XN < s) (ie the CDF) is given by finding the convolution of pdf's.

If you want a detailed example step-by-step (for exponential random variables) visit Page 298 of "Introduction to Probability Models 9th Edition" by Sheldon M. Ross published by Academic Press.

Other versions of the book may have the same step-by-step proof, but if you can't find it just use the convolution theorem to obtain the results and take into account the relevant domains of the variables.

Hi there,

Thank you for pointing the right direction.

In fact. I have tried that already,

[tex]

f(x)=\int_0^x \mu \exp(-\mu s) \mu \exp(-\mu (x-s)) \, \mathrm{d} s =x\mu^2\exp(-\mu x)

[/tex]

which is in the form of [tex] \mu (\mu x) \exp(-\mu x) [/tex], is something we would expect to get.

Then I have some problems to proceed to generalize it.

If I integrate it again with
[tex]
\int_0^x s\mu^2\exp(-\mu s) \mu \exp(-\mu (x-s)) \, \mathrm{d} s
=
-\mu^2 x \exp(-2\mu x) + x \mu ^2 \exp(-\mu x)
[/tex]
which is hard to spot the parttern and justify the general result to the erlang density..

ghostyc said:
Hi there,

Thank you for pointing the right direction.

In fact. I have tried that already,

[tex]

f(x)=\int_0^x \mu \exp(-\mu s) \mu \exp(-\mu (x-s)) \, \mathrm{d} s =x\mu^2\exp(-\mu x)

[/tex]

which is in the form of [tex] \mu (\mu x) \exp(-\mu x) [/tex], is something we would expect to get.

Then I have some problems to proceed to generalize it.

If I integrate it again with
[tex]
\int_0^x s\mu^2\exp(-\mu s) \mu \exp(-\mu (x-s)) \, \mathrm{d} s
=
-\mu^2 x \exp(-2\mu x) + x \mu ^2 \exp(-\mu x)
[/tex]
which is hard to spot the parttern and justify the general result to the erlang density..
Your second integral actually evaluates to

[tex]
0.5 \mu^3 x^2 \exp(-\mu x)
[/tex]

All you're really integrating is s. The exponential is untouched because it doesn't contain s anymore after you multiply the 2 exponentials.

sfs01 said:
Your second integral actually evaluates to

[tex]
0.5 \mu^3 x^2 \exp(-\mu x)
[/tex]

All you're really integrating is s. The exponential is untouched because it doesn't contain s anymore after you multiply the 2 exponentials.

You are absolutely right. I was doing that for a long time and I got messed up with my integration. Now I have double checked with Maple.

Thanks!

Related to Exponential Convolution Erlang

1. What is Exponential Convolution Erlang?

Exponential Convolution Erlang is a mathematical model used to describe the probability distribution of the sum of multiple independent random variables. It is a combination of the Exponential and Erlang distributions, and is commonly used to model waiting times in queuing systems.

2. How is Exponential Convolution Erlang different from a regular Erlang distribution?

While both distributions are used to model waiting times, the Exponential Convolution Erlang distribution allows for a more flexible and accurate representation of real-world systems. It takes into account the variability of arrival times and service times, making it a more realistic model for queuing systems.

3. What are the main applications of Exponential Convolution Erlang?

Exponential Convolution Erlang is commonly used in fields such as telecommunication, computer networks, and manufacturing to model and analyze queuing systems. It can also be applied to other scenarios involving waiting times, such as customer service, transportation, and healthcare.

4. How is Exponential Convolution Erlang calculated?

The formula for Exponential Convolution Erlang is a combination of the Exponential and Erlang distributions. It involves taking the convolution of the two distributions, which can be done through various methods such as numerical integration or using specialized software.

5. What are the limitations of Exponential Convolution Erlang?

Exponential Convolution Erlang assumes that arrival and service times are exponentially distributed and independent. This may not always be the case in real-world systems, leading to inaccuracies in the model. Additionally, it can be challenging to obtain accurate data for all the necessary parameters, making it difficult to apply in certain scenarios.