Exploring Waves: 3 Questions and My Take on Them

• Thread starter ap_cycles
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Waves
In summary, the conversation discusses questions about wave energy transfer, different types of waves, and sound absorption. The main points are that even without wind, waves can move objects on the ocean surface, waves can have different types depending on the medium and particle motion, and the ability of a material to dissipate energy from pressure waves determines its effectiveness as a sound absorber.
ap_cycles
Hi there,

I have some questions which i hope forummers can contribute or give feedback. I have given thoughts to these questions as well, and i have written them in brackets for fellow forummers to critique.

1. If wave transfer energy but not matter, why a floating bottle in the middle of the sea will drift gradually to shore?

(My take on this question is that the wind plays a supporting factor. In additon, when waves break on shore, debris floating on the previously waves will get transported to shore. Wave breaking, after all, is the basis of how wind surfing works.)

2. Besides longitudinal and transverse waves, are there different types of waves?

(My take on this question is no. Other than a perpendicular, parallel or even circular axis of vibration of particles, of which we will then be talking about water waves, there can't be other axis of vibrations.)

3. What makes a good sound absorber?

(I understand the key concept is one of elasticity. Elasticity is not one of "stretchiness" , but rather the ability of a material that has changed shape when struck, to resume its initial shape when the striking force is removed. But still, it doesn't help to explain why rubber is a good sound absorber.I mean, rubber does go back to its initial shape right?! )

Thanks. And hope to hear your valuable comments soon.

Physics news on Phys.org
1. The matter of the stuff that's waving - in this case, ocean water - doesn't move (very much), but that doesn't mean it can't push other things along. Even without wind, a wave could move a bottle along the surface of the ocean.

2. You could have a wave that's not associated with anything moving, and that wouldn't be either longitudinal or transverse. For example, a wave of magnetic moment alignments in some ferromagnetic material (although I'm not really sure whether that would be possible in reality). Or you could simulate a numerical wave in a computer. But... when particle motion is involved, I believe all waves are either longitudinal or transverse, or some combination of those, since there isn't any other direction for the particle to move. (This also applies to electromagnetic and gravity waves, even though no medium of particles is involved in them)

3. Basically, it's the ability of the material to dissipate energy from pressure waves at the frequencies which are typical for sound. Generally speaking, soft things (rubber, cloth) are better dissipators than hard things. It takes a lot of energy to squash or dent or distort a hard object, and sound waves just don't have that much energy. So if the energy of the sound wave isn't enough to distort (break) the object, it has to bounce back. By contrast, something soft like rubber is easily distorted and it has no problem absorbing energy from sound.

Thanks Diazona, for this quick and wonderful reply!

Related to Exploring Waves: 3 Questions and My Take on Them

1. What are waves?

Waves are a type of disturbance or oscillation that transfers energy through a medium without actually moving the medium itself. They can travel through various mediums such as air, water, or even solid materials.

2. What are the different types of waves?

There are two main types of waves: mechanical waves and electromagnetic waves. Mechanical waves require a medium to travel through, while electromagnetic waves can travel through a vacuum. Mechanical waves include sound waves, water waves, and seismic waves, while electromagnetic waves include light waves, radio waves, and microwaves.

3. How are waves measured?

The amplitude of a wave is the measurement of its height or intensity, while the wavelength is the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs of a wave. The frequency of a wave is the number of waves that pass a certain point in a given time period. These measurements are used to describe the properties and behaviors of waves.

4. What is the relationship between waves and energy?

Waves carry energy through a medium, and the amount of energy they carry is directly related to their amplitude. The higher the amplitude, the more energy the wave carries. This energy can be harnessed and used for various purposes, such as generating electricity through electromagnetic waves or creating sound through mechanical waves.

5. How are waves created?

Waves are created through a disturbance or vibration in a medium. This disturbance causes the particles in the medium to oscillate and transfer energy to neighboring particles, creating a wave. Some waves, like sound waves, are created by objects vibrating, while others, like water waves, are created by external forces such as wind.