Exploring Vibrational Modes in Rifle Barrel Design

In summary: I don't think you would see the same resonance with a suppressed rifle as you would with an unsuppressed rifle. I think the increased mass would dampen the resonance.In summary, In order to simulate a gun shot, you would need to do a full fluid-structure interaction problem, model the bullet, do a multiphysics run, and determine natural frequencies and modes.
Claws
I am not a weapons designer, this is purely to satisfy my own curiosity :)

I would like to simulate a gun shot in a rifle barrel and determine the mode and freq. of vibration using a FE program (Code_Aster if anyone is interested), but I don't really know what transient load to apply.

What components go into making the barrel vibrate? Shape of course, boundry cond. i.e. barrel to receiver connection etc. - but how would you describe the discharge of a round?

Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Ah, I JUST ran through a similar tutorial of this for the new version of ANSYS. Anyways, I'm going to assume that you are trying to model some sort of automatic gun that can cycle enough times such that resonance could come into play.

Regardless, here's what you kind of do. You'll need to do a full fluid-structure interaction problem. You'll have to either use a combusion model, or a source term to model the bullet (it'll be MUCH MUCH easier than actually modeling the bullet). From there, you do a multiphysics run where you're sending pressures, temperatures, and forces to the structural analysis and getting back displacements and temperatures.

From this, you can do a pre-stressed modal analysis and obtain natural frequencies and modes. At this point you can determine which modes may be of interest. You have a definite applied force, so you can then know which modes need to be payed attention to.

How do you describe the discharge? I would venture a guess that it's probably broadband noise. I can't imagine there being any kind of dominating components to the signal.

In the example that I did, they simply added mass to the domain as a source term, using a step function. We're probably still a little way off to be able to successfully model a gunshot in every way; the idea is to simply get in the ballpark.

p.s. The particular test I ran through included a muzzle brake at the end of the barrel which made some pretty cool pictures.

I may be in over my head here, but I would love to skip the combustion step and see if there's a predefined way of applying the mechanical forces to the barrel - what peaked my interest, was the fact that when you add a sound suppressor to a bolt action rifle (not automatic), you will have to re-sight it to accommodate for the new resonate frequency.

I know I'm just barely scraping the surface of the subject here :)

Minger: If you ever in any way publish anything about that experiment, I would love to see it - sounds very cool

So you just want a modal analysis of the barrel? Your original post made it appear that you were looking at the gun shot itself.

what peaked my interest, was the fact that when you add a sound suppressor to a bolt action rifle (not automatic), you will have to re-sight it to accommodate for the new resonate frequency.
Where did you hear this? I am interested in this. Knowing what I know of modal testing, I can't see how this would be an influencing factor over other things like say decreased muzzle velocity.

No no, this isn't an experiment that we're doing, rather just a tutorial that I went through getting an introduction to the new multiphysics setup with ANSYS.

As Fred said, doing a simple modal analysis may be enough for you. However, you mentioned transient analysis as well, which isn't really needed for a basic modal analysis.

Now having the actual applied loads can be nice. For example, you may think you're operating right on a natural frequency, however if the applied load is something which cannot excite the resonance then...eh.

FredGarvin said:
So you just want a modal analysis of the barrel? Your original post made it appear that you were looking at the gun shot itself.

Where did you hear this? I am interested in this. Knowing what I know of modal testing, I can't see how this would be an influencing factor over other things like say decreased muzzle velocity.

It is of that principle a barrel tuner works i believe.
Here is some more info that might help you understand what I want to achieve.

http://www.varmintal.com/atune.htm

Thanks for the input so far.

Compressed Potassium rounds would come closer to the need to bypass combustion but the mass of the round must be increased for the reduced propulsion.

Related to Exploring Vibrational Modes in Rifle Barrel Design

1. What is modal analysis of gunshot?

Modal analysis of gunshot is a scientific method used to study the vibrations produced by a gunshot. It involves using specialized equipment and techniques to measure and analyze the frequency, amplitude, and duration of the vibrations produced by a gunshot.

2. Why is modal analysis of gunshot important?

Modal analysis of gunshot is important because it can provide valuable information about the characteristics of a gunshot, such as the type of firearm used, the distance from which the shot was fired, and the location of the shooter. This information can be used in forensic investigations and criminal trials.

3. How is modal analysis of gunshot performed?

Modal analysis of gunshot is typically performed using a combination of sensors, such as accelerometers and microphones, to capture the vibrations and sound produced by a gunshot. The data is then analyzed using software to identify the different modes of vibration and extract relevant information.

4. What are the benefits of modal analysis of gunshot?

Modal analysis of gunshot has several benefits, including its non-invasive nature, its ability to provide objective and quantitative data, and its potential to provide valuable insights in forensic investigations. It can also be used to compare different types of firearms and ammunition, aiding in the development of gunshot detection and identification technologies.

5. What are the limitations of modal analysis of gunshot?

Modal analysis of gunshot has some limitations, such as its reliance on specialized equipment and expertise, the need for controlled and consistent testing conditions, and the potential interference from environmental factors. Additionally, it may not be able to differentiate between firearms of the same type or those using similar ammunition.