Exploring the Upper Bound of f^{n+1}(x) for x in [-1/2, 1/2]

In summary, the conversation involves discussing the function f = ln(1/(1-x)) and proving that if x is in the interval [-1/2, 1/2], then the absolute value of the (n+1)th derivative of f is less than or equal to 2^(n+1) * n!. The conversation also suggests trying to prove this through direct differentiation and using induction.
Punkyc7
Let f = ln([itex]\frac{1}{1-x}[/itex])

show that if x [itex]\in[/itex] [-1/2 , 1/2] then

|f[itex]^{n+1}[/itex](x)| <= 2[itex]^{n + 1}[/itex] * n!

I am having a hard time seeing how 2[itex]^{n + 1}[/itex] * n! comes into play.

I have that the taylor series for f is [itex]\Sigma[/itex] [itex]\frac{x^n}{n}[/itex]

If a take a derivative it becomes x^(n-1) and if I plug anything on the interval it is less than one. I am thinking that I did this wrong because of how big that upper bound is/.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're currently using ##n## for two different purposes: the order of the derivative and the index of the sum. I strongly suggest using a different letter for one of these. For example, ##f(x) = \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} x^k/k##. And you want to show that ##|f^{(n+1)}(x)| \leq 2^{n+1}n!##. (I assume your exponent ##n+1## means the ##n+1##'st derivative.)

Try starting with ##n=0##. Can you show that the inequality is true in that case?

No one said you have to use the Taylor's series. Why don't you take 2 or 3 of derivatives directly and see if a pattern emerges. That could lead you to a proof by induction.

Related to Exploring the Upper Bound of f^{n+1}(x) for x in [-1/2, 1/2]

1. What does the notation f^{n+1}(x) represent?

The notation f^{n+1}(x) represents the (n+1)th composition of the function f with itself. This means that we apply the function f to the output of the previous application of f, n+1 times.

2. How is the upper bound of f^{n+1}(x) for x in [-1/2, 1/2] explored?

The upper bound of f^{n+1}(x) for x in [-1/2, 1/2] is explored through a process called iteration, where we repeatedly apply the function f to a starting value of x and observe the resulting values.

3. Why is it important to explore the upper bound of f^{n+1}(x) for x in [-1/2, 1/2]?

Exploring the upper bound of f^{n+1}(x) for x in [-1/2, 1/2] can help us understand the behavior and limitations of the function f. It can also help us find the maximum or minimum values of the function within the given interval.

4. What are some real-world applications of exploring the upper bound of f^{n+1}(x) for x in [-1/2, 1/2]?

One real-world application of exploring the upper bound of f^{n+1}(x) for x in [-1/2, 1/2] is in the field of economics, where it can be used to model and predict the growth or decline of a population or market. It can also be applied in physics to study the behavior of systems that involve repeated iterations, such as chaotic systems.

5. Are there any limitations to exploring the upper bound of f^{n+1}(x) for x in [-1/2, 1/2]?

Yes, there are limitations to exploring the upper bound of f^{n+1}(x) for x in [-1/2, 1/2]. The results may not accurately represent the behavior of the function outside of the given interval, and the process can become computationally intensive for large values of n. Additionally, the accuracy of the results may depend on the initial starting value of x and the chosen function f.