Exploring the Tacoma Narrows Bridge Collapse

In summary, the conversation suggests the idea of doing a science fair project on the Tacoma Narrows Bridge collapse and how it taught us about stabilizing structures against wind forces. The participant also considers building something to demonstrate the flutter effect but is unsure of what material to use and is concerned about cost. As an alternative, they suggest using a fan and strip of paper to demonstrate the flutter effect.
Azu

Homework Statement

Hi, i want to do a science fair project on the Tacoma Narrows Bridge Collapse. I want to do a research on the Tacoma Narrows Bridge collapse and how it taught us what structures stabilize a bridge against wind forces.
I also want to build something that would demonstrate the flutter effect. First i thought i should build a bridge and test it in a windtunnel, but i don't know what material i should use, and i think it would be expensive.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So, i was thinking about not building a bridge, but something else that would demonstrate the flutter effect, something that wouldn't be so expensive :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Azu! Welcome to PF! :smile:

If you want a project on aeroelastic flutter, how about going green o:), and following this up, from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeroelasticity#Flutter"
It is however not always a destructive force; recent progress has been made in small scale (table top) wind generators for underserved communities in developing countries, designed specifically to take advantage of this effect.[1][2]

Last edited by a moderator:
A fan and a strip of paper, held at each end, might be able to demonstrate the flutter effect.

Related to Exploring the Tacoma Narrows Bridge Collapse

1. What caused the collapse of the Tacoma Narrows Bridge?

The collapse of the Tacoma Narrows Bridge was caused by a phenomenon known as aeroelastic flutter, which occurs when the forces of wind and aerodynamic forces interact with a flexible structure. In this case, the bridge's narrow and lightweight design, combined with strong winds, caused the bridge to vibrate and eventually collapse.

2. How long did it take for the Tacoma Narrows Bridge to collapse?

The Tacoma Narrows Bridge collapsed on November 7, 1940, just four months after its completion. The collapse occurred after only four hours of sustained winds of approximately 40 miles per hour.

3. Were there any warning signs prior to the collapse of the Tacoma Narrows Bridge?

Yes, there were several warning signs prior to the collapse of the Tacoma Narrows Bridge. The bridge had been experiencing significant vibrations and movements since its completion, causing concern among engineers. However, these warning signs were not taken seriously until it was too late.

4. How did the collapse of the Tacoma Narrows Bridge impact the field of engineering?

The collapse of the Tacoma Narrows Bridge was a significant event in the field of engineering, as it highlighted the importance of considering aerodynamics and wind forces in the design of structures. This event also led to advancements in the field of bridge design, specifically in regards to the use of aerodynamic stabilizers and wind tunnel testing.

5. Has another bridge collapse like the Tacoma Narrows Bridge occurred since then?

Yes, there have been other bridge collapses caused by aeroelastic flutter since the Tacoma Narrows Bridge collapse. However, these incidents have been less frequent due to the advancements in bridge design and the incorporation of aerodynamic considerations in the design process.