Exploring the Summation of \sum_{n=1}^{ \infty} \frac{1}{n^3}

• Thread starter jason17349
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Summation
In summary, Dodo says that the summation zeta(3) is a rational multiple of pi^3, and that calculating it involves dividing out pi^3. However, no closed form expression has yet been found for the series, and it is a rational multiple of pi^3 only up to a point.
jason17349
I'm interested in the problem:

[tex] \sum_{n=1}^{ \infty} \frac{1}{n^3} [/tex]

and would like to know more about what attempts have been made at it and any insights into it but I am unable to find much because I don't know the name of this series or if it even has one.

I have learned what little I could about this summation and it's history by searching for the Basel Problem and Reimann Zeta Function but I would really like to find more work related specifically to the above summation. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sloane sequence A002117 may be of help:
http://www.research.att.com/~njas/sequences/A002117

Last edited by a moderator:
for this type of questions, if you really want to learn about it, i recommend you start with the basics and not jump into an advanced question just yet. try searching the web or something. it could prove useful.
(viait my blog!)

Kaisxuans - I had no plan to jump into the dificult Zeta Function but it's one of the few things related to my problem that I can search for. Other than that I don't know what to look for.

Dodo - Thanks for the link. This first part about wether Zeta(3) is a rational multiple of [tex]pi^3[/tex] is interesting.

I was tinkering with this problem the other day when I tried representing it as a multiple of two vectors.

[tex] \sum_{n=1}^{ \infty} \frac{1}{n^3} =[/tex][1 1/2 1/3 ...]* [1 1/2^2 1/3^2 ...][tex]^T[/tex]

which can be written as the magnitude of the first vector times the magnitude of the second vector times the cos of the angle between them.

which works out to:

[tex] \sum_{n=1}^{ \infty} \frac{1}{n^3}=\sqrt{\sum_{n=1}^{ \infty} \frac{1}{n^2} }*\sqrt{\sum_{n=1}^{ \infty} \frac{1}{n^4}}*\cos{\theta}[/tex]

then:

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{ \infty} \frac{1}{n^3}=\frac{\pi^3}{\sqrt{6*90}}*cos(\theta)[/tex]

Now I have no idea what [tex]cos(\theta)[/tex] is and can't prove if it's rational but I was wondering if this method had ever been used before and if anybody had gotten any farther with it. An interesting consequence (at least I thought it was interesting) is that since [tex]cos(\theta)\le1[/tex] then:

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{ \infty} \frac{1}{n^3}\le \frac{\pi^3}{\sqrt{6*90}}[/tex]

but this is trivial because it becomes obvious after just a few terms that the summation is well below [tex]\frac{\pi^3}{\sqrt{6*90}}[/tex].

Last edited:
Mclosed form expression has yet been found for the series, although many integral and series representations are available.

Calculating zeta(3), dividing out [itex]\pi^3[/itex], and calculating a continued fraction expansion shows that it it's a rational multiple the denominator is huge.

Related to Exploring the Summation of \sum_{n=1}^{ \infty} \frac{1}{n^3}

1. What is the summation of \sum_{n=1}^{ \infty} \frac{1}{n^3}?

The summation of \sum_{n=1}^{ \infty} \frac{1}{n^3} is an infinite series that converges to a specific value. It is also known as the Basel problem and has a value of approximately 1.202.

2. What is the significance of exploring \sum_{n=1}^{ \infty} \frac{1}{n^3}?

Exploring \sum_{n=1}^{ \infty} \frac{1}{n^3} has significant implications in mathematics, specifically in the field of number theory. It also has connections to other areas such as physics and probability.

3. How is the summation of \sum_{n=1}^{ \infty} \frac{1}{n^3} calculated?

The summation of \sum_{n=1}^{ \infty} \frac{1}{n^3} is calculated using various mathematical techniques such as the Euler-Maclaurin formula and zeta function regularization. It can also be approximated using numerical methods.

4. Can the summation of \sum_{n=1}^{ \infty} \frac{1}{n^3} be simplified?

No, the summation of \sum_{n=1}^{ \infty} \frac{1}{n^3} cannot be simplified into a finite expression. It is an infinite series with a specific value and cannot be reduced to a simpler form.

5. What are some real-life applications of \sum_{n=1}^{ \infty} \frac{1}{n^3}?

The summation of \sum_{n=1}^{ \infty} \frac{1}{n^3} has applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and finance. It is used in calculations for electric potential, fluid dynamics, and even in the design of financial products such as mortgage payments.