Exploring the Quantum Theory of Magnetism: Callen's Result & the P_S Function

In summary: Omega=\sum_{i,j}J_{ij}\left(\frac{1}{2}\left(e^{-\alpha\hbar}S_i^+S_j^-+e^{\alpha\hbar}S_i^-S_j^+\right)-\frac{1}{2}\left(S_i^zS_j^z+(S-\alpha)(S_j^z+1)+\alpha(S_i^z+1)\right)\right)\Omega(\alpha)By minimizing this expectation value with respect to \alpha, we can find the best value for \alpha and thus the most accurate description of the ground state wave function. This leads to the differential equation given in the conversation, which is solved using the two boundary
Petar Mali
[tex]\langle\hat{S}^z\rangle=\hbar\frac{(S-P_S)(1+P_S)^{2S+1}+(1+S+P_S)P_S^{2S+1}}{(1+P_S)^{2S+1}-P_S^{2S+1}}[/tex]

Can you tell me something more about Callen result? And this function [tex]P_S[/tex]?

In book Nolting "Quantum theory of magnetism" this relation is get from diferential equation

[tex]\frac{d^2\Omega}{d\alpha^2}+\frac{(1+P_S)+P_Se^{-a\hbar}}{(1+P_S)-P_Se^{-a\hbar}}\hbar\frac{d\Omega}{d\alpha}-\hbar^2S(S+1)\Omega=0[/tex]

two boundary conditions are

[tex]\Omega(0)=1[/tex]

and

[tex]\prod^{S}_{m_S=-S}(\frac{d}{d\alpha}-\hbar m_S)\Omega(\alpha)|_{\alpha=0}=0[/tex]

How he get this diferential equation?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The differential equation is derived using the standard approach of transforming the Hamiltonian into a form suitable for a variational calculation. The starting point is the mean-field Hamiltonian for a Heisenberg spin system, which can be written asH=-\sum_{i,j}J_{ij}{{\bf S}_i}\cdot{{\bf S}_j}where the sum is over all pairs of spins i and j. This can be written in terms of raising and lowering operators asH=\sum_{i,j}J_{ij}\left(\frac{1}{2}\left(S_i^+S_j^-+S_i^-S_j^+\right)-\frac{1}{2}\left(S_i^zS_j^z+S_i^z+S_j^z+1\right)\right)The next step is to introduce a variational parameter \alpha which is related to the average spin \langle S_i^z\rangle by\langle S_i^z\rangle=S-\alphaThis allows us to write the Hamiltonian asH=\sum_{i,j}J_{ij}\left(\frac{1}{2}\left(e^{-\alpha\hbar}S_i^+S_j^-+e^{\alpha\hbar}S_i^-S_j^+\right)-\frac{1}{2}\left(S_i^zS_j^z+(S-\alpha)(S_j^z+1)+\alpha(S_i^z+1)\right)\right)We can then define a “trial wave function” \Omega(\alpha) which depends on \alpha as\Omega(\alpha)=\langle\alpha|\Psi\ranglewhere \Psi is the ground state wave function. We can then calculate the expectation value of the Hamiltonian with respect to this wave function by\langle H\rangle_\Omega=\langle\alpha|H|\alpha\rangleSubstituting the expression for the Hamiltonian into this equation yields\langle H\rangle_

Related to Exploring the Quantum Theory of Magnetism: Callen's Result & the P_S Function

1. What is the Quantum Theory of Magnetism?

The Quantum Theory of Magnetism is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of magnetic materials at the atomic and subatomic level. It combines principles of quantum mechanics and statistical mechanics to understand the microscopic origins of magnetism.

2. Who is Callen and what is his result in relation to the Quantum Theory of Magnetism?

Herbert B. Callen was an American physicist who made significant contributions to the field of thermodynamics and statistical mechanics. In the context of the Quantum Theory of Magnetism, he derived an equation known as the Callen's result, which relates the magnetic susceptibility of a material to its temperature and other thermodynamic properties.

3. What is the P_S function and how is it related to the Quantum Theory of Magnetism?

The P_S function, also known as the spin polarization function, is a mathematical function used to describe the probability of finding an electron with a particular spin orientation in a magnetic material. In the context of the Quantum Theory of Magnetism, this function is used to understand the magnetic properties of a material and how they change with temperature and other external factors.

4. How does the Quantum Theory of Magnetism explain the behavior of magnetic materials?

The Quantum Theory of Magnetism explains the behavior of magnetic materials by considering the spin and orbital angular momentum of the electrons in the material. These quantum properties interact with each other and with the external magnetic field to produce the phenomenon of magnetism.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Quantum Theory of Magnetism?

The Quantum Theory of Magnetism has a wide range of applications in various fields such as materials science, electronics, and medical imaging. Some examples include the development of new magnetic materials for data storage and sensors, the use of magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) in medical diagnostics, and the study of magnetic properties in quantum computing.