Exploring the Properties and Uses of Diamonds

• Thread starter lolbombs
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Properties
In summary, diamonds are incredibly hard, and are used to cut other diamonds, as well as to polish objects. However, their hardness makes them susceptible to wear and tear.
lolbombs
Hey guys, I'm doing a project on the physical properties and :. uses of diamond. I've got this week to research, and next week I have to create my presentation. I've been looking up all the uses/properties of diamond.

I know that:
diamond is the hardest natural element
this means that diamond can't be scratched by any other natural element apart from itself.
And this is why they use diamonds to cut other diamonds when creating "brilliant diamond stones".

However, this confuses me:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond_blade
I understand the process of how the diamond blade works, but surely, if diamond is so hard, why does it get worn down?

----------

I am also curious to how Diamond polishing paste works? surely a slurry of suspended diamond particles would scratch the surface, as opposed to polish it, due to its hardness.

------

Many Thanks in advance for any help I receive!

Physics news on Phys.org
Diamond is hard but not inifnitely hard so it still gets eroded by other materials. The stainless steel of a knife blade is harder than a tomato but will get blunt if you cut enough of them.
Diamond cutting wheels only have a thin layer of diamond dust on them, it's more a case of the dust being worn off the wheel as nuch as individual diamond crystals being destroyed.

Polishing a surface is the same as scratching it - just with smaller, uniformly distributed scratches.

thank you very much mgb_phys! :)

Think of it this way. Suppose you hit the tip of a diamond with a hammer. It will probably hurt the hammer, but it will also hurt the tip of the diamond. Think of this, if you carve a spear from wood with a pocket knife, you will notice that if you try to stab things with it, the tip fold in easily.

The diamond blade is similar to this. The very edge of a blade is fragile. Take a steel knife. If you cut enough potatos with it, eventually the blade will wear down. No matter how hard something is, when it exerts a force on something, that thing will exert the same force back on the edge, and a force exerted on the edge will always take a tiny bit from that edge.

I hope I helped you understand that part about the diamond blade.

lolbombs said:
I've been looking up all the uses/properties of diamond.
I suggest you also do some research on the index of refraction of diamonds and how that contributes to their sparkle.

Related to Exploring the Properties and Uses of Diamonds

1. What are the properties of diamonds?

Diamonds are a form of carbon with a unique crystal structure, making them the hardest naturally occurring substance. They have a Mohs hardness scale rating of 10, high refractive index, and high thermal conductivity. They also have a high melting point and are chemically inert, making them resistant to corrosion.

2. How are diamonds formed?

Diamonds are formed deep within the Earth's mantle under high pressure and temperature. They are created from carbon atoms that are subjected to extreme heat and pressure for millions of years. They are then brought closer to the Earth's surface through volcanic eruptions.

3. What are the different types of diamonds?

Natural diamonds are classified into four types: type Ia, type Ib, type IIa, and type IIb. Type Ia diamonds contain nitrogen impurities, while type Ib diamonds have a higher concentration of nitrogen. Type IIa diamonds have very few impurities and are considered the purest form of diamonds. Type IIb diamonds contain boron, giving them a blue color.

4. What are the common uses of diamonds?

Diamonds are primarily used in jewelry due to their beauty and durability. They are also used in industrial applications, such as cutting and grinding tools, due to their hardness. Diamonds are also used in electronic devices, such as lasers and semiconductors, due to their high thermal conductivity and optical properties.

5. How are diamonds tested and graded?

Diamonds are tested and graded based on the 4Cs: cut, color, clarity, and carat weight. The cut refers to the shape and proportions of the diamond, while the color is graded on a scale from D (colorless) to Z (light yellow). Clarity refers to the presence of inclusions or blemishes, and carat weight is the measurement of a diamond's weight. Other factors, such as fluorescence and symmetry, also contribute to a diamond's overall grade.