Exploring the Product Rule: Why Does It "Go Away"?

I don't know how to use latex to explain this, so I'll use words..Since v is continuous, so, as \delta x \rightarrow 0, \delta v also \rightarrow 0, so, \lim_{\delta x \rightarrow 0} \delta v = 0, so, we have:y'(x) = u(x)v'(x) + u'(x)v(x) + u'(x) \lim_{\delta x \rightarrow 0} \delta v = u(x)v'(x) + u'(x)v(x)So,(uv)' = u'v + uv', which is the product rule.
joshd
We covered the product rule in maths last lecture, and as part of the derivation of it, we got this line:

[tex]\frac{\partial y}{\partial x}=\frac{u \partial v}{\partial x} + \frac{v \partial u}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial u \partial v}{\partial x}[/tex]

And were told that as [tex]x \rightarrow 0[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial u \partial v}{\partial x}[/tex] just "goes away".

Can anyone explain why this is so? :confused:

(edit: quite pleased with my first attempt at tex :D )

Physics news on Phys.org
joshd said:
We covered the product rule in maths last lecture, and as part of the derivation of it, we got this line:

[tex]\frac{\partial y}{\partial x}=\frac{u \partial v}{\partial x} + \frac{v \partial u}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial u \partial v}{\partial x}[/tex]

I think you mean:
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex], instead of [tex]\frac{\partial y}{\partial x}[/tex]
The [tex]\partial[/tex] one is used to denote partial derivative, the one you are working with in muti-variable calculus.

Are you sure it's not dx ~~> 0?

Ok, you can think like this:
[tex]\frac{du dv}{dx} = \frac{du}{dx} dv = u'_x dv[/tex]

du/dx is the derivative of u, with respect to x, is a finite number, multiply with dv, a very very small number (since dv also tends to 0, as dx tends to 0.). So the whole thing should be 0. So, it just "go away". :)

Can you get it? :)

darn, yea, swap all [tex]\partial[/tex] for [tex]\delta[/tex] etc... sorry. :blushing:

Umm, not sure. After re-reading my notes, it says "Take limits as x -> 0".

Last edited:
I'm not sure how your professor derived the product rule, so I don't know how that cross-term comes about in your derivation there. Starting from the definition of the derivative and using the "add zero" trick, the proof is easy:

[tex]\left[f(x)g(x)\right]' = \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}~\frac{f(x+h)g(x + h) - f(x)g(x)}{h}[/tex]

Then introduce the terms [tex]g(x+h)f(x) - f(x)g(x+h)[/tex] in the numerator to get (limit notation left out):

[tex]\frac{f(x+h)g(x+h) - f(x)g(x+h)}{h} + \frac{g(x+h)f(x) - g(x)f(x)}{h}[/tex]

And factoring out the common terms in each term:

[tex]g(x+h)\frac{f(x+h) - f(x)}{h} + f(x)\frac{g(x+h)-g(x)}{h}[/tex]

As h -> 0, the fractions tend to derivatives and g(x+h) tends to g(x) (since the limit of a product is the product of the limits)

So, [tex]\left[f(x)g(x)\right]' = g(x)f'(x) + f(x)g'(x)[/tex]

joshd said:

I would consider that extremely bad notation! Neither "x" nor "dx" "goes to 0". Certainly x doesn't and if you are using "dx" as a differential, then it doesn't "go to 0"- it is and remains an infinitesmal. With [itex]\delta x[/itex] rather than [itex]\partial x[/itex] or dx it makes a little more sense but you didn't say how y is a function of u and v (nor what u and v mean) so I can't tell how you would get [itex](\delta u \delta v)/\delta x[/itex]. Roughly speaking it is the fact that there are two [itex]\delta[/itex]'s in the numerator to only one in the denominator that makes it go to 0.

I thought [tex]x \rightarrow 0[/tex] means "x tends to 0", which means x is infinitly small, it doesn't mean that x IS 0?

I know I miseed a lot of stuff out, hence why I just said the line was just part of it...

We started with a curve, equation y=u.v, with two points, P and Q. The gradient between them is [tex]\delta y / \delta x[/tex].

The coordinates:

[tex]P=(x,u.v)[/tex]

[tex]Q=(x+ \delta x , (u+ \delta u)(v + \delta v))[/tex]

So:

[tex]\delta y = (u+ \delta u)(v+ \delta v)-(uv)[/tex], where [tex](u+ \delta u)(v+ \delta v)[/tex] is the value of the curve at Q and [tex](uv)[/tex] is the vale of the curve at P.

[tex]\delta y=v \delta u + u \delta v + \delta u \delta v+ uv - uv[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\delta y}{\delta x} = u \frac{\delta v}{\delta x} + v \frac{\delta u}{\delta x} + \frac{\delta v \delta u}{\delta x}[/tex]

Now, apparently, "Take limits as [tex]x \rightarrow 0[/tex]"

[tex]\Rightarrow \frac{\delta y}{\delta x} = u \frac{\delta v}{\delta x} + v \frac{\delta u}{\delta x}[/tex]

VietDao29 said:
I think you mean:

Ok, you can think like this:
[tex]\frac{du dv}{dx} = \frac{du}{dx} dv = u'_x dv[/tex]

du/dx is the derivative of u, with respect to x, is a finite number, multiply with dv, a very very small number (since dv also tends to 0, as dx tends to 0.). So the whole thing should be 0. So, it just "go away". :)

Can you get it? :)

Could you perhaps explain it more rigorously? Because otherwise [tex]\int^b_a f(x) dx[/tex] would equal 0..for any bounds..or function...

Gib Z said:
Could you perhaps explain it more rigorously? Because otherwise [tex]\int^b_a f(x) dx[/tex] would equal 0..for any bounds..or function...

Well, let y = uv, where u, and v are functions of x, and everywhere differentiable.
So: [tex]\delta y = (u + \delta u) (v + \delta v) - uv = u \delta v + v \delta u + \delta u \delta v[/tex]
Divide both sides by [tex]\delta x[/tex], we obtain:

[tex]\frac{\delta y}{\delta x} = u \frac{\delta v}{\delta x} + v \frac{\delta u}{\delta x} + \frac{\delta u \delta v}{\delta x} = u \frac{\delta v}{\delta x} + v \frac{\delta u}{\delta x} + \frac{\delta u}{\delta x} \delta v[/tex]

Now, take the limit as [tex]\delta x \rightarrow 0[/tex], we have:

[tex]y'(x) = \lim_{\delta x \rightarrow 0} \frac{\delta y}{\delta x} = \lim_{\delta x \rightarrow 0} \left( u \frac{\delta v}{\delta x} + v \frac{\delta u}{\delta x} + \frac{\delta u}{\delta x} \delta v \right)[/tex], since, u and v are differentiable, [tex]\lim_{\delta x \rightarrow 0} \frac{\delta u}{\delta x} = u'(x)[/tex], [tex]\lim_{\delta x \rightarrow 0} \frac{\delta v}{\delta x} = v'(x)[/tex], both are finite. So we have:

[tex]y'(x) = \lim_{\delta x \rightarrow 0} \frac{\delta y}{\delta x} = \lim_{\delta x \rightarrow 0} \left( u \frac{\delta v}{\delta x} + v \frac{\delta u}{\delta x} + \frac{\delta u}{\delta x} \delta v \right) = u(x)v'(x) + u'(x)v(x) + u'(x) \lim_{\delta x \rightarrow 0} \delta v[/tex]

Since v is continuous, so, as [tex]\delta x \rightarrow 0[/tex], we also have: [tex]\delta v \rightarrow 0[/tex], so:

[tex]y'(x) = \lim_{\delta x \rightarrow 0} \frac{\delta y}{\delta x} = ... = u(x)v'(x) + u'(x)v(x) + u'(x) 0 = u(x)v'(x) + u'(x)v(x)[/tex]

Well, that's how I understand it.

I did mistype in the previous post, all dx, dy, du, or dv should be [tex]\delta x[/tex], [tex]\delta y[/tex], [tex]\delta u[/tex], and [tex]\delta v[/tex]. Sorry for the confusion. :blushing: :redface: :)

Last edited:
Ok I seem to be able to understand that, your reasoning is that a finite value ( u'(x)) multiplied by an infinitesimal that is approaching zero, must also be zero. However, wouldn't that mean that when we take the integral [tex]\int^b_a f(x) dx[/tex] We are summing up an infinite number of slices between b and a, each valued f(x) dx, as dx approaches zero? By the previous logic every integral is zero :(

joshd said:
I thought [tex]x \rightarrow 0[/tex] means "x tends to 0",

it does

which means x is infinitly small,

it doesn't. That phrase is meaningless.

it doesn't mean that x IS 0?

correct - one cannot just insert x=0 into an object whose limit you're taking - that negates the whole point of taking limits in the first place

We started with a curve, equation y=u.v, with two points, P and Q. The gradient between them is [tex]\delta y / \delta x[/tex].

That is not the derivative. For a given [itex]\delta y /\delta x[/itex] (note you use itex and not tex for inline tags) it is the slope of a chord, as you let [itex]delta x[/itex] tend to zero it will (if the function is differentiable) converge to the gradient.

Now, apparently, "Take limits as [tex]x \rightarrow 0[/tex]"

[tex]\Rightarrow \frac{\delta y}{\delta x} = u \frac{\delta v}{\delta x} + v \frac{\delta u}{\delta x}[/tex]

Two things - that is an horrendous abuse of an equals sign. A problem that infests lower level mathematics teaching. It is true _approximately_.
Secondly, that should read as [itex]\delta x[/itex] tends to 0, not x. Then it is correct. Remember that [itex]\delta u[/itex] is approximately [itex]\delta x .du/dx[/itex], similarly for v, thus the cross term is approximately

[tex] \delta x \frac{du}{dx}\frac{dv}{dx}[/tex]

and does indeed tend to zero as [itex]\delta x[/itex] tends to 0

Gib Z said:
Ok I seem to be able to understand that, your reasoning is that a finite value ( u'(x)) multiplied by an infinitesimal that is approaching zero, must also be zero. However, wouldn't that mean that when we take the integral [tex]\int^b_a f(x) dx[/tex] We are summing up an infinite number of slices between b and a, each valued f(x) dx, as dx approaches zero? By the previous logic every integral is zero :(

Nope. You should note that it's the sum of an infinite numbers of strips.

Say, if you sum (1/n), n times, as n increases without bound, what would you get?

[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} n \times \frac{1}{n} = ?[/tex]

Would it be 0? :smile:

Last edited:
I'm sorry, i do have lapses of idiocy :) Even wrote up the keyword and didn't realize it lol, thanks !

Related to Exploring the Product Rule: Why Does It "Go Away"?

1. Why is the product rule important in mathematics and science?

The product rule is important because it allows us to calculate the derivative of a product of two functions. This is a crucial tool in solving equations and modeling real-world phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. How does the product rule work?

The product rule states that the derivative of a product of two functions is equal to the first function times the derivative of the second function, plus the second function times the derivative of the first function. This can be written as (f(x)g(x))' = f'(x)g(x) + f(x)g'(x).

3. Why does the product rule "go away"?

The phrase "go away" refers to the fact that when using the product rule, we eventually end up with the original functions, without the need to continue using the rule. This is because after applying the rule multiple times, the derivatives of the functions become simpler and eventually cancel out.

4. Can the product rule be used for more than two functions?

Yes, the product rule can be extended to any number of functions. The rule states that the derivative of a product of n functions is equal to the sum of each function times the derivative of the product of the remaining n-1 functions.

5. How is the product rule used in real-life applications?

The product rule is used in many real-life applications, such as calculating rates of change in economics, determining the velocity and acceleration of moving objects in physics, and optimizing production processes in engineering. It is also used in various mathematical models to represent complex relationships between variables.