Exploring the Power of the Turkish Bow: Calculating Maximum Range

In summary, the Turkish bow of the 15th and 16th centuries greatly outperformed western bows. The draw force F(x) of the Turkish bow versus the bowstring displacement x (for x negative) is approximately represented by a quadrant of the ellipse (F(x)/Fmax)^2+((x+d)/d)^2=1 . Calculate the work done by the bow in accelerating the arrow, taking Fmax=360N , d=.7m and arrow mass m= 34g. assuming that all of the work ends up as arrow kinetic energy, determine the maximum range R of the arrow. (the actual range is about 430m) Compare with the range for a bow
GreenLRan
the turkish bow of the 15th and 16th centuries greatly outperformed western bows. the draw force F(x) of the turkish bow versus the bowstring displacement x (for x negative) is approximately represented by a quadrant of the ellipse (F(x)/Fmax)^2+((x+d)/d)^2=1 . Calculate the work done by the bow in accelerating the arrow, taking Fmax=360N , d=.7m and arrow mass m= 34g. assuming that all of the work ends up as arrow kinetic energy, determine the maximum range R of the arrow. (the actual range is about 430m) Compare with the range for a bow that acts like a simple spring force with the same Fmax and d.

First I started by getting the draw force F(x) in terms of x.
F(x)=-Fmax(x^2+2xd)+1
then I did the integral of that function with respect to x from -.7 to 0 to get the work. And then i set the work equal to kinetic energy and solved for v0. I got v0 = 69.88m/s. giving R=v0^2/g=497.81m

The answer in the back of the book is
R=v0^2/g=(pi*Fmax*d)/(2*m*g)=1188m
and the turkish bow is larger by a factor of pi/2

I would like to know what I'm doing wrong, and how they derived that
R=v0^2/g=(pi*Fmax*d)/(2*m*g). Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
(F(x)/Fmax)^2+((x+d)/d)^2=1

Multiply both sides by Fmax^2

F(x)^2+Fmax^2((x+d)/d)^2=Fmax^2

F(x)^2=Fmax^2(1-[(x+d)/d]^2)

sqrt of both sides, F(x)=Fmax*sqrt((1-[(x+d)/d]^2))

looks like you got your expression for F(x) wrong, but it's like 3:15 at night here and I might be wrong, but yours seems too simple

haha, awsome, that worked. I guess i should have triple checked it before posting. Well anyway how do they get R=(pi*Fmax*d)/(2*m*g)?

Related to Exploring the Power of the Turkish Bow: Calculating Maximum Range

What is the Turkish bow and how is it different from other bows?

The Turkish bow is a type of archery bow that has been used in Turkey and surrounding regions for centuries. It is characterized by its unique shape, with shorter limbs and a longer, more curved handle. This design allows for a longer draw length and greater power, resulting in higher arrow speed and longer range compared to other traditional bows.

How do you calculate the maximum range of a Turkish bow?

The maximum range of a Turkish bow can be calculated using a mathematical formula that takes into account the draw weight, draw length, and arrow weight. This formula is based on principles of physics and can be found in archery textbooks or online resources. However, it should be noted that the actual maximum range may vary depending on factors such as wind, elevation, and individual archer skill.

What are some factors that affect the maximum range of a Turkish bow?

Aside from draw weight, draw length, and arrow weight, there are several other factors that can affect the maximum range of a Turkish bow. These include the type and quality of the bow, the type and quality of the arrow, the archer's technique and form, and environmental conditions such as wind and elevation. These factors should be taken into consideration when calculating the maximum range of a Turkish bow.

Can the maximum range of a Turkish bow be increased?

Yes, the maximum range of a Turkish bow can be increased through various methods. These include increasing the draw weight, using a longer draw length, using lighter arrows, and improving archer technique and form. Additionally, modifications to the bow itself, such as adding string silencers or adjusting the brace height, can also affect the maximum range.

Are there any safety precautions to keep in mind when exploring the power of the Turkish bow?

Yes, it is important to always follow proper safety precautions when using a Turkish bow or any type of bow. This includes wearing protective gear such as arm guards and finger tabs, using arrows that are appropriate for the bow's draw weight, and practicing proper form and technique. It is also important to always be aware of your surroundings and never aim the bow at anyone or anything that you do not intend to shoot.