Exploring the Mystery of Gravity Waves and Neutron Stars in Orbit

In summary, the conversation discusses why only two spinning, neutron stars in a tight orbit lose energy by giving off gravity waves while other objects in orbit do not. It is explained that this is due to the rate of energy loss being much smaller in other systems. The conversation also touches on the confusion regarding the moon's movement away from the Earth, which is caused by a different effect called tidal interaction. It is also mentioned that our bodies experience gravitational waves from various sources, but they do not have a noticeable effect due to other factors. Finally, the conversation briefly mentions the detection of orbital decay due to gravitational wave emission in white dwarf binaries.
enceladus_
If two spinning, neutron stars in a tight orbit lose energy by giving off gravity waves, why don't other objects in orbit do the same? I don't understand what makes the two neutron stars unique. Why wouldn't the moon and the Earth give off gravity waves as well? I also know that the moon is slowly moving away from us, so this is very confusing to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
enceladus_ said:
If two spinning, neutron stars in a tight orbit lose energy by giving off gravity waves, why don't other objects in orbit do the same?

According to GR, they do; but the rate of energy loss is a lot smaller so we can't directly measure it. The systems with two neutron stars are the only ones we know of that have a rate of energy loss due to gravitational waves that is within our capability to measure with our current technology.

enceladus_ said:
I also know that the moon is slowly moving away from us, so this is very confusing to me.

This is a different effect; it's due to the tidal interaction between the Earth and the Moon, and doesn't involve emission of gravitational waves.

enceladus_ said:
If two spinning, neutron stars in a tight orbit lose energy by giving off gravity waves, why don't other objects in orbit do the same? I don't understand what makes the two neutron stars unique. Why wouldn't the moon and the Earth give off gravity waves as well?

They Earth does give off gravity waves. They're just very weak, so weak they produce no noticeable effects even over millenia.

The Earth goes around the sun once a year, so only sends one crest-to-trough-to-crest wave in a year. The two orbiting neutron stars do an orbit in minutes and have maybe a million times the mass of the earth, so they're radiating away a million times as much energy in each pulse, and doing the pulses 100,000 times as quickly.

Ahh, I see. That makes a lot of sense. Can I also conclude that out bodies are experiencing gravitational waves from a wide variety of sources, and thus have our shape contorted on an unimaginably small scale?

Thank you both very much :smile:

enceladus_ said:
Can I also conclude that out bodies are experiencing gravitational waves from a wide variety of sources

Yes.

enceladus_ said:
and thus have our shape contorted on an unimaginably small scale?

In principle, yes; but there are so many other things contorting our bodies on much larger scales that the gravitational waves would not have a chance to contort anything.

Thanks again! :smile:

PeterDonis said:
According to GR, they do; but the rate of energy loss is a lot smaller so we can't directly measure it. The systems with two neutron stars are the only ones we know of that have a rate of energy loss due to gravitational waves that is within our capability to measure with our current technology.

Orbital decay due to gravitational wave emission has also been detected in some closely orbiting white dwarf binaries. See this paper for example. Imagine two white dwarfs orbiting with a 12 minute period!

Last edited:
Thanks for that, very interesting.

Related to Exploring the Mystery of Gravity Waves and Neutron Stars in Orbit

1. What are gravity waves?

Gravity waves are ripples in the fabric of space-time caused by massive objects accelerating. They were predicted by Albert Einstein's theory of general relativity and were first observed in 2015 by the LIGO experiment.

2. How are gravity waves different from electromagnetic waves?

Gravity waves are fundamentally different from electromagnetic waves in that they do not require a medium to travel through, whereas electromagnetic waves do. Additionally, gravity waves are able to travel through all forms of matter, while electromagnetic waves are affected by the properties of the medium they are traveling through.

3. What are some sources of gravity waves?

The most commonly observed sources of gravity waves are massive objects, such as black holes and neutron stars, orbiting around each other. Other potential sources include supernovae, merging galaxies, and the Big Bang.

4. How do gravity waves help us study solar objects?

Gravity waves can provide valuable information about the structure and dynamics of solar objects. By studying the properties of gravity waves, scientists can learn more about the composition, temperature, and density of these objects, as well as how they evolve over time.

5. Are gravity waves useful for anything besides studying solar objects?

Yes, gravity waves have many potential uses in various fields of science and technology. They can be used to study the formation and evolution of the universe, as well as to test and refine our understanding of gravity and the laws of physics. In the future, they may also have practical applications in fields such as astronomy, navigation, and communication.