Exploring the Mystery of Gann's Square of Nine

In summary, a discussion was had about the significance of Mr. Gann's square of nine and its application to the markets. It was mentioned that magic squares, which are used in mathematics as a recreational activity, are difficult to find general patterns and connections to other areas of math. It was also noted that Mr. Gann's work is often associated with mystical stock market publications and can be purchased for a high price. Some members expressed skepticism towards the effectiveness of Mr. Gann's methods. The conversation also touched on the idea of paying for such methods with profits instead of upfront.
aricho
g'day everyone...
i was wondering the significance of Mr Gann's square of nine, and how he could just find this "magical" thing and then apply it to the markets...

Also, what is the mathematics behind it? I've looked it up on google but it doesn't have anything about either of these...

Thanks

(p.s I attached a copy)

Attachments

• square of 9.JPG
    square of 9.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 1,064
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Perhaps I'm totally way off here (I haven't heard about this Mr Gann), but as I know it, magic squares belong to what is often called "recreational mathematics".
From what I know of it (practically nil, I'll admit), it is difficult to find any general patterns and links from the specialized lore of magic squares to other, more "important" areas of maths.

Of course, someone a lot more knowledgeable than myself ought to step in here, quash my dumb comments and provide OP with some real information.

I have no idea whatsoever is Mr Gann's square of 9, but i do know what a magic square is. I have seen it being used heavily in some Image Processing techniques, especially in some of the papers i have seen recently on Image Reconstruction. These squares have been largely used as a convolutional mask (mask size normally being around 5x5 to 9x9). None of these papers, seemed to have explained why they used these squares (the papers only dealt with the algorithm the author had to propose). My guess is that since these magic squares add up to same value in all directions, their convolution brings abt some neat pixel distribution in the image (which for some reason is mathematically inexplicable??).

Anyways, regardless, i have no idea how these magic squares would be used in any market analysis, unless the market has some sort of 2D distribution of data (like an image) and magic squares can be used to extrapolate some details out of it (speaking to himself by now ... ).

-- AI

aricho: i was wondering the significance of Mr Gann's square of nine, and how he could just find this "magical" thing and then apply it to the markets...

This man was some kind of mysterious individual that shows up in the more mystical stock market publications...I have located his work at http://www.sacredscience.com/gann/

TenaliRaman said:
I have no idea whatsoever is Mr Gann's square of 9 ...
What I wonder is how it's different from 81. :smile: Okay, I am being a smartmouth...

In fact, following it down a little further, http://www.sacredscience.com/ferrera/squareof9.htm Here we have THE GANN PYRAMID, SQUARE OF NINE ESSENTIALS. The course is sold for $395.

Perhaps some of you might like to look at my thread: "How much should you pay?" https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=82225

robert Ihnot said:
In fact, following it down a little further, http://www.sacredscience.com/ferrera/squareof9.htm Here we have THE GANN PYRAMID, SQUARE OF NINE ESSENTIALS. The course is sold for $395.

Perhaps some of you might like to look at my thread: "How much should you pay?" https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=82225
I see, so i just need to pay 395$ for infinite wealth!

-- AI

TenaliRaman said:
I see, so i just need to pay 395$ for infinite wealth!

-- AI

If such things were'nt scams they let you pay later out of your profits.
They never do.

Antiphon: If such things were'nt scams they let you pay later out of your profits. They never do.

Man! What an idea! Just write and tell them you are an earnest young man with plenty of zeal and short on cash-at the moment-would they consider terms? Payments while I am making my profits? Then again, in the commodity market, you need to lay out thousands. How can you do that with no money?

I wonder if they would say, "No money, sir? Have you considered no-money-down real estate? That is the way to go!"

Last edited:

Related to Exploring the Mystery of Gann's Square of Nine

1. What is Gann's Square of Nine?

Gann's Square of Nine is a tool used in financial trading that is based on the mathematical principles of "squaring the circle". It is said to have been developed by W.D. Gann, a legendary trader, in the early 1900s.

2. How does Gann's Square of Nine work?

Gann's Square of Nine is a circular chart that is divided into 9 equal sections, with the numbers 1-9 arranged in a spiral pattern. Traders use this tool to identify potential support and resistance levels, as well as price targets.

3. Can Gann's Square of Nine predict market movements?

No, Gann's Square of Nine is not a crystal ball that can predict market movements with 100% accuracy. It is simply a tool that can help traders identify potential price levels to watch out for. It should be used in conjunction with other technical and fundamental analysis methods.

4. Is Gann's Square of Nine difficult to use?

It can be a bit overwhelming for beginners, but with practice and understanding of the underlying mathematical principles, it can become a useful tool for traders. There are also many resources available online to help with learning how to use Gann's Square of Nine.

5. Is Gann's Square of Nine still relevant in modern trading?

Yes, Gann's Square of Nine is still used by many traders today, both in the stock market and other financial markets. However, it should not be relied upon as the sole method of analysis and should be used alongside other tools and strategies.