Exploring the Impact of Extra Planets on Gravity and the Sun

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential effects of an extra planet hiding behind the sun and the difficulty in detecting it due to its small size and distance from Earth. The conversation also touches on the possibility of governments hiding the existence of such a planet and the presence of pseudoscience and conspiracy theories on the topic.
jayzun
The reason I made an account is to ask about the effect of gravity from an extra planet hiding behnd the sun. I think that if this was the case we would see much great impacts¿ say like the tides. Would they not be extremely high and low? Nonstop quakes that would be felt across the world? I asked this in a thread. Was advised to make a sperate thread.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
jayzun said:
The reason I made an account is to ask about the effect of gravity from an extra planet hiding behnd the sun. I think that if this was the case we would see much great impacts¿ say like the tides. Would they not be extremely high and low? Nonstop quakes that would be felt across the world? I asked this in a thread. Was advised to make a sperate thread.
The impact of a planet on the opposite side of our orbit would depend on its size, but would have to be pretty small; much smaller than the sun's impact on things like the tides, of course (since it would have to be much smaller and further away than the sun).

jayzun said:
Tidal forces fall off by the cube of the distance. A planet hiding on the Other side of the Sun could not be much more massive than the Earth and would need to orbit at the same distance as the Earth. Since the Earth is ~1/333,000 as massive as the Sun, and the planet would be twice as far away as the Sun, its tidal effect on the Earth would be 1/8*1/333,000 = 1/2664000 that of the Sun.
It would be much easier to detect by its gravitational perturbing the orbits of the other planets. However, this is a two edged sword. They would also perturb its orbit. This is a problem because a planet orbiting on the exact opposite side of the Sun from the Earth is in a special type of orbit. It will only remain there if it stays exactly there. If it drifts the least bit out of position with respect to the Earth, gravitational forces will act to pull it even further out of position. It's like a needle balanced on its point; the slightest nudge and it topples over. Since such a planet could not help but be nudged out of position by the pull of other planets, it would soon drift into an orbit that would make it visible from the Earth.

Right. So if a rouge planet was to be on a path for us there would be NO way for any government to hide. The planet x doomsday people are out in left field,but entertaing.

jayzun said:
Right. So if a rouge planet was to be on a path for us there would be NO way for any government to hide. The planet x doomsday people are out in left field,but entertaing.
You were asked to start a new thread to discuss gravitational effects, not pseudoscience and conspiracy theories. That is not allowed at the PF. Thread is closed.

(BTW, rouge = red)

Likes davenn

Related to Exploring the Impact of Extra Planets on Gravity and the Sun

What is the purpose of studying the impact of extra planets on gravity and the Sun?

The purpose of this study is to gain a better understanding of how additional planets in a solar system can affect the gravitational pull of the Sun and the overall dynamics of the system. This can also provide insights into how planets form and evolve in different environments.

How does the presence of extra planets affect the gravitational pull of the Sun?

The presence of extra planets can cause the Sun's gravitational pull to vary in strength and direction. This is because the mass and position of the additional planets can alter the distribution of mass in the solar system, leading to changes in gravitational forces.

What methods are used to explore the impact of extra planets on gravity and the Sun?

Scientists use computer simulations and mathematical models to study the interactions between the Sun, planets, and other celestial bodies in a solar system. These methods allow for the exploration of different scenarios and can provide valuable insights into the dynamics of the system.

Is there a limit to the number of planets that can exist in a solar system without significantly affecting the Sun's gravity?

There is no known limit to the number of planets that can exist in a solar system without affecting the Sun's gravity. However, as more planets are added, the gravitational forces become more complex and can lead to chaotic behaviors in the system.

What are the potential implications of understanding the impact of extra planets on gravity and the Sun?

Understanding the impact of extra planets on gravity and the Sun can have implications for our understanding of planetary formation and the habitability of other solar systems. It can also have practical applications, such as predicting the stability of orbits for spacecraft and satellites in multi-planet systems.