Exploring the Finite and Infinite Solutions of ODEs with k < 1/4

In summary, the given differential equation \frac{d^{2}y}{dx^{2}}+\frac{k}{x^{2}}y = 0 has solutions in the form of y = Asin(\sqrt{k}ln(x)) + Bcos(\sqrt{k}ln(x)). When k > 1/4, there is an infinite number of positive zeros, while when k ≤ 1/4, there is a finite number. This can be proven by setting y = 0 and using the substitution x = e^z to show that the equation has the needed 1 - 4k discriminate.
djh101
Consider [itex]\frac{d^{2}y}{dx^{2}}+\frac{k}{x^{2}}y = 0[/itex]. Show that every nontrivial solution has an infinite number of positive zeroes if k > 1/4 and a finite number if k ≤ 1/4.

Solving gives:
[itex]y = Asin(\sqrt{k}ln(x)) + Bcos(\sqrt{k}ln(x))[/itex]​

And setting y = 0 gives:
[itex]tan(\sqrt{k}ln(x)) = -\frac{A}{B} = c[/itex]
[itex]ln(x) = \frac{2n+1}{\sqrt{k}}arctan(c)[/itex]​

So I've mainly just rearranged everything a few times. When k ≤ 1/4, the last equation should hold for only a finite number of ns. Why, though? How would one go about proving this? The main thing I would think to look for would be a square root turning negative, but that doesn't seem to happen anywhere. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
djh101 said:
Consider [itex]\frac{d^{2}y}{dx^{2}}+\frac{k}{x^{2}}y = 0[/itex]. Show that every nontrivial solution has an infinite number of positive zeroes if k > 1/4 and a finite number if k ≤ 1/4.

Solving gives:
[itex]y = Asin(\sqrt{k}ln(x)) + Bcos(\sqrt{k}ln(x))[/itex]​
Show what you did to get this. I believe you might be tacitly making assumptions about k to get to this point.
djh101 said:
And setting y = 0 gives:
[itex]tan(\sqrt{k}ln(x)) = -\frac{A}{B} = c[/itex]
[itex]ln(x) = \frac{2n+1}{\sqrt{k}}arctan(c)[/itex]​

So I've mainly just rearranged everything a few times. When k ≤ 1/4, the last equation should hold for only a finite number of ns. Why, though? How would one go about proving this? The main thing I would think to look for would be a square root turning negative, but that doesn't seem to happen anywhere. Any ideas?

Your y(x) doesn't satisfy the differential equation.

Sorry, I did a sloppy substitution. x = e^z gives y'' - y' + ky = 0, which has the needed 1 - 4k discriminate. Problem solved. Thanks.

Related to Exploring the Finite and Infinite Solutions of ODEs with k < 1/4

1. What is ODE: Finite Zeroes if k < 1/4?

ODE stands for Ordinary Differential Equation and refers to a type of mathematical equation that involves derivatives. The phrase "Finite Zeroes if k < 1/4" refers to the specific conditions under which the equation has a finite number of zeros, or points where the solution is equal to zero.

2. How is k related to the number of finite zeroes in ODE?

K is a constant in the ODE equation and plays a crucial role in determining the number of finite zeroes. When k is less than 1/4, the equation will have a finite number of zeroes. However, if k is equal to or greater than 1/4, the equation will have an infinite number of zeroes.

3. Can an ODE have zero finite zeroes?

Yes, an ODE can have zero finite zeroes. This occurs when k is equal to or greater than 1/4, and the equation has an infinite number of zeroes. In this case, the solution to the equation will approach zero as the independent variable approaches infinity.

4. How can the number of finite zeroes in ODE be determined?

The number of finite zeroes in an ODE can be determined by looking at the value of k. If k is less than 1/4, the equation will have a finite number of zeroes. To find the exact number of zeroes, the equation can be solved using mathematical techniques such as substitution or integration.

5. What is the significance of finite zeroes in ODE?

The finite zeroes in ODE are significant because they represent the points where the solution to the equation is equal to zero. These points can provide valuable information about the behavior of the system described by the ODE. They can also help in finding the critical points or equilibrium solutions of the equation.