Exploring the Effects of Electron Loss on Atom Properties | Learn More!

In summary, removing the electrons from an atom creates an ion and does not change the properties of the nucleus. However, there are differences between an atom with electrons and the same atom without electrons, such as in spectroscopy. Electrons are typically removed from atoms in high-energy particle accelerators to increase ion charge and make acceleration more efficient. Removing electrons is not necessary for nuclear reactions, as heating the matter to a plasma state can also achieve this. Creating a material with isolated bare nuclei is not possible, as matter would not hold together without electrons.
entrance
hello everybody :)

Let's assume that we could steal all electrons of an atom. What would happen? How would the atom change its properties? Could we measure different values?

Physics news on Phys.org
Atoms do not have any definite structure but a nucleus around which negatively charged cloud suspends. So if all electrons are taken out you get bare nucleus.
Anyway practically the energy required to take out all electrons requires enormous energy due to attraction between + nucleus and - electron ...the effective nuclear charge.

entrance said:
Let's assume that we could steal all electrons of an atom. What would happen?
You don't need to assume. This is done routine in particle accelerators. For instance, at https://www.gsi.de/en/work/research/appamml/atomic_physics/research/experimental_facilities/hitrap.htm they can work with bare nuclei up to U92+.

entrance said:
How would the atom change its properties? Could we measure different values?
It depends on what you mean by "properties." For instance, the electrons play a major role in the spectrum of an atom. Removing a single electron completely changes an atom's spectrum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes PeroK
[q]what you mean by "properties."[/q]

Well, it's certainly possible to measure some different values. And with the help of these values you can describe an atom.

For example the strong force inside a nucleus: If we could measure the strong force inside and outside the nucleus, could we notice a change, if we steal all electrons of an atom?

A proton is a hydrogen atom with no electron.

An alpha particle is a helium atom with no electron.

These particles are relatively common and can be created. We know A LOT about their properties. Now, what is it about them that you think we don't know?

Zz.

Likes PeroK
entrance said:
For example the strong force inside a nucleus: If we could measure the strong force inside and outside the nucleus, could we notice a change, if we steal all electrons of an atom?
Electrons do not participate in the strong interaction.

[q]Electrons do not participate in the strong interaction.[/q]

Thank you, mfb.

What are the known differences in properties or behaviour between an atom WITH its atoms and the same atom WITHOUT its atoms? DrClaude has already mentioned this "spectrum". What does this mean? And are there some further changes?

(How can i make quotes here?)

entrance said:
What are the known differences in properties or behaviour between an atom WITH its atoms and the same atom WITHOUT its atoms?
It is a different object. The nucleus behaves the same (apart from a few exotic cases involving beta decays*). The electrons are present in one case, and not present in the other case, so everything involving electrons is different obviously. Spectroscopy of electron energy levels cannot be done without electrons, for example.
entrance said:
(How can i make quotes here?)
Mark text and click "reply", or use the "reply" or "quote" buttons at the bottom right of a post, or manually use [quote]bla[/quote].

* Two examples:
- Beryllium-7 can only decay via electron capture. Normally there are electrons around to capture, so it is radioactive. Remove all electrons from its environment and it cannot decay any more - it gets stable.
- A neutral dysprosium-163 atom is stable. If you remove all electrons, it can beta decay, where the electron stays in a low energy level. The energy is not sufficient to have the electron escape or occupy a higher energy level, which would be required for a decay of a neutral atom.

Thank you all.

Are there any situations where i have to remove the electrons in order to be able to conduct a certain experiment? At collision tests like in Cern electrons are always removed?

Do i have to remove all electrons, if i want to split a nucleus? Or do i have to remove them, if i want to achieve a fusion of 2 or more nuclei?

Particle accelerators only work with ionized particles. Adding electrons is possible, but removing them is easier. For high-energy accelerators (including the LHC), typically all electrons are removed to increase the ion charge. That makes acceleration more efficient. This is just a practical consideration - for the particle collisions itself (nucleus/nucleus collisions) the electrons wouldn't matter. You would get some additional electron/nucleus collisions.
entrance said:
Do i have to remove all electrons, if i want to split a nucleus?
No. Uranium in nuclear reactors has its electrons, for example.
entrance said:
Or do i have to remove them, if i want to achieve a fusion of 2 or more nuclei?
You don't have to remove them for fusion either. Heating the matter until it is a plasma and loses electrons is the most practical approach, but it is not the only one, and the reason the electrons are not around has nothing to do with fusion.

I like this forum, i always get answers, thank you :)

Maybe the last question in this topic. If it isn't necessary to remove the electrons in a nuclear reactor, then it is also not necessary to remove them in A-Bombs. Is this correct?

They are not removed in nuclear weapons. The electrons just don't matter.

The title made me think of a proton and antiproton in some kind of bound state. Apparently, it's called protonium https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protonium
It is more complicated than hydrogen, since the strong force plays a larger role.

entrance said:
Maybe the last question in this topic. If it isn't necessary to remove the electrons in a nuclear reactor, then it is also not necessary to remove them in A-Bombs. Is this correct?
If you were to remove the electrons, then matter wouldn't hold together. You can get isolated bare nuclei, but certainly cannot make a material with them.

If you could remove the electrons, you wouldn't need a nuclear reaction. The coulomb reaction would be plenty explosive enough.

Likes DrClaude
Well, i would like to try a summary:

Removing the electrons of an atom creates an ion, properties of the nucleus doesn't change. But there are differences between an atom with electrons and the same atom without electrons. Electrons are removed from atoms to achieve a higher charge, which has positive effects on collision tests. It's not necessary to remove eletrons in order to split or fuse atoms.

Related to Exploring the Effects of Electron Loss on Atom Properties | Learn More!

1. What is electron loss and how does it affect atom properties?

Electron loss refers to the process where an atom loses one or more of its electrons. This can occur through various forms of ionization, such as collisions with other particles or exposure to high energy radiation. When an atom loses an electron, it becomes positively charged and its properties, such as its size and reactivity, can be significantly altered.

2. How does electron loss impact the stability of an atom?

The stability of an atom is determined by the balance between the positive protons in the nucleus and the negative electrons in the electron cloud. When an atom loses an electron, this balance is disrupted and the atom becomes less stable. This can lead to increased reactivity and the potential for chemical bonding with other atoms to regain stability.

3. What are the potential consequences of excessive electron loss on an atom?

Excessive electron loss can lead to the formation of highly reactive and unstable ions. These ions can potentially react with other atoms or molecules in the environment, causing chemical changes and potential damage. In some cases, excessive electron loss can also disrupt the normal functioning of biological processes, leading to health issues.

4. Can electron loss be reversed and if so, how?

Electron loss can be reversed through a process called electron gain, where an atom gains one or more electrons to regain stability. This can occur through various forms of ionization, such as electron capture or exposure to high energy radiation. Additionally, some chemical reactions can also result in the transfer of electrons between atoms, allowing for the reversal of electron loss.

5. How do scientists study the effects of electron loss on atom properties?

Scientists use various methods, such as spectroscopy and theoretical modeling, to study the effects of electron loss on atom properties. These techniques allow for the observation and measurement of changes in the atom's size, reactivity, and other properties. Additionally, experiments can be conducted to simulate electron loss in controlled environments, providing further insight into its effects on atoms.