Exploring the Doppler Effect and Beat Frequencies in Sound Waves

• Thread starter IIK*JII
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Doppler
In summary, a motionless observer between two sound sources, A and B, hears a beat when the sources oscillate at 338 Hz and 342 Hz respectively. When the observer starts moving at a constant speed on the line connecting A and B, the beat is no longer heard. Using the Doppler equation, it can be determined that the speed of the observer is 2 m/s towards source A.
IIK*JII

Homework Statement

In the figure, a motionless observer stands between sound sources A and B, which oscillate at 338 Hz and 342 Hz, respectively. The observer hears a beat. Next, when the observer begins moving at a constant speed on the straight line connecting A and B, the beat is no longer heard. Here, the speed of sound in air is 340 m/s

Homework Equations

fb=|fB-fA|...(1)

Doppler equation
f'= f([itex]\frac{v\pm v0}{v\mp vs}[/itex])

v0 = observer's speed

The Attempt at a Solution

1st, I assume that observer walking towards A in order not to hear beat frequency.

Thus, f[itex]^{'}_{A}[/itex]=fA([itex]\frac{v+v0}{v}[/itex]) (2)
f[itex]^{'}_{B}[/itex]=fB([itex]\frac{v-v0}{v}[/itex]) (3)

from (1); fb = |338-342|=4 Hz
so |(2) - (3)| = 4 Hz and I got only 1 unknown to solve
∴v0 = 4 m/s
but the answer is 2 m/s toward A, Oh! Did I do wrong way or my assumption was wrong??

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello IIK*JII
When the observer doesn't hear beats its frequency should be zero or the two frequencies should be equal ,right?I am getting 2m/s as well if my calculations are not wrong. Maybe you have messed up your calculations somewhere by the looks of your method I suspect you have inverted the situation and still getting 4 beats .
Rest is all correct .Even if you had assumed that observer walked towards B you'd getting the same answer in negative.
Correct me if I am wrong.
regards
Yukoel

Yukoel !

Okay, I understand it because I inverted the situation..

Thanks a lot :)

Related to Exploring the Doppler Effect and Beat Frequencies in Sound Waves

1. What is the Doppler effect?

The Doppler effect is a phenomenon where the frequency of a wave appears to change when the source of the wave is moving relative to the observer. This can be observed in everyday situations, such as the change in pitch of a siren as an ambulance passes by.

2. How does the Doppler effect relate to sound waves?

The Doppler effect is commonly observed in sound waves, where the perceived pitch of a sound changes depending on the relative motion between the source of the sound and the observer. As the source moves closer to the observer, the frequency of the sound waves increases, resulting in a higher pitch. Conversely, as the source moves away, the frequency decreases and the pitch appears lower.

3. What is the difference between the Doppler effect and the Doppler shift?

The Doppler effect refers to the overall phenomenon of the perceived change in frequency of a wave due to relative motion, whereas the Doppler shift specifically refers to the change in frequency of electromagnetic waves (such as light) due to relative motion between the source and observer.

4. How does the Doppler effect impact our understanding of the universe?

The Doppler effect plays a crucial role in our understanding of the universe, particularly in regards to the movement of celestial bodies and the expansion of the universe. By analyzing the shift in frequency of light emitted by stars and galaxies, scientists can determine their relative motion and distance from Earth.

5. How is the beat phenomenon related to the Doppler effect?

The beat phenomenon is a result of the Doppler effect, where two waves with slightly different frequencies interfere with each other, creating a new wave with a frequency equal to the difference between the original two waves. This is commonly observed in music, where two instruments playing slightly different notes create a beat frequency that is perceived as a pulsating sound.