Exploring the Dangers and Limits of Batteries: A Deeper Look at Ohm's Law

In summary: For example, if you have two 12V car batteries and connect them in series, you can only get 12A from the batteries. However, if you connect the batteries in parallel, you can get 24A from them. Why? Because in parallel, each battery is supplying its own series resistance (2x1=2).
imblum
Hello, I am just starting to teach myself about electronics, and am already coming up with questions my text is not answering adequately. Unfortunately I don't know anyone who I could ask as I'm not in school.

Consider two 12V batteries, say a car battery and a garage door opener battery.

If you were to connect the terminals of the car battery, you could be killed, though of course if you connected the terminals of your small 12V you would not. Are they leaving a battery rating out somewhere that would tell you the big one is more dangerous? I thought both batteries were just 12V.

Considering Ohm's Law: V=IR, as resistance (R) tends to zero, current (I) will tend toward voltage (V) (right?)
Would a 12V garage door opener battery really be able to put out 12V at 12A with no load?

It also seems that the maximum power: P=IV you could get out of a 12V battery with practically zero resistance (regardless of size) would be just under 144W. Wouldn't this be a a lot for that little battery?

I feel like I'm missing some central stuff. I hope I'm not embarrassing myself by asking silly questions.

thanks,
matt

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
imblum said:
If you were to connect the terminals of the car battery, you could be killed,...
Huh? Where did you get that notion?

Considering Ohm's Law: V=IR, as resistance (R) tends to zero, current (I) will tend toward voltage (V) (right?)
Also wrong. For given I, if R tends to zero, so does V. Anything multiplied by zero is zero. So V=IR=I times 0 = 0. Generally, though if you have something as large as a car battery, V will remain constant (more or less). Then V=IR can only be satisfied by I going to infinity. So if you drop a crescent wrench on the battery terminals, the current can get large enough that it will burn your hand. It won't kill you though.

Would a 12V garage door opener battery really be able to put out 12V at 12A with no load?
You only get 12A if your resistance is 1 ohm. That's the load. Somehow you seem to be ADDING rather than MULTIPLYING I and R.

It also seems that the maximum power: P=IV you could get out of a 12V battery with practically zero resistance (regardless of size) would be just under 144W. Wouldn't this be a a lot for that little battery?
Again, you get 144W if you are using a 1 ohm load. Indeed, the little battery wouldn't be able to source 12A. What will happen is that the 1 ohm load will fry the battery, bringing its output voltage to near zero. OTOH, a car battery can source 12A with ease. That's typically the amount of current needed to operate 2 headlights. And 2 headlights (in parallel) is just around 1 ohm.

thanks

thank you for taking my question. Let me see if I understand.

When you connect the terminals of any battery (R->0), in order to try and maintain whatever voltage, the current becomes unrestricted and tries to go to infinity (A short circuit?). This causes the voltage, and in turn the amperage to fall until the battery dies (like normal wear only faster). It just happens that the car battery can "source" enough amperage to produce the resulting wattage in the form of heat and sparks?

Last edited:
I think there is a role of internal resistance of the battery as well.

Related to Exploring the Dangers and Limits of Batteries: A Deeper Look at Ohm's Law

1. What is Ohm's Law?

Ohm's Law is a fundamental principle in electrical engineering that describes the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance. It states that the current through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage and inversely proportional to the resistance.

2. How is Ohm's Law related to batteries?

Batteries are a source of direct current (DC) and follow Ohm's Law. The voltage of a battery is responsible for creating a potential difference, which causes the current to flow through a circuit. The resistance in the circuit determines the amount of current that will flow, according to Ohm's Law.

3. Can batteries violate Ohm's Law?

No, batteries cannot violate Ohm's Law. Ohm's Law is a fundamental law of physics and applies to all electrical circuits, including those powered by batteries. However, there may be cases where the internal resistance of a battery affects the overall circuit resistance and changes the current flow.

4. What is the significance of Ohm's Law in battery design?

Ohm's Law is essential in battery design as it helps engineers calculate the appropriate resistance for a circuit and determine the appropriate size and type of battery needed to power the circuit. It also ensures that the battery can safely supply the required current without overheating or damaging the circuit.

5. How does Ohm's Law impact battery life?

Ohm's Law plays a significant role in battery life as it helps determine the optimal current draw for a battery. If a battery is subjected to a higher current than it is designed for, it can lead to overheating and reduced battery life. Following Ohm's Law can help prolong the life of a battery by ensuring it is not being overworked.