Exploring the Current Frontiers of Electricity & Magnetism

In summary: You can figure out the exact field during your first year of grad school.In summary, E&M is a subject that is heavily used in most fields of physics such as condensed matter, optics, high energy, cosmology, and biophysics. It is one of the basic subjects of physics, along with quantum mechanics, statistical mechanics, and classical mechanics. Some current hot topics in E&M research include metamaterials, optics, lasers, and telecommunications. There are also many unanswered questions in E&M, such as how to reconcile it with gravity and the behavior of plasma. E&M is also used in fields like electrical engineering and plasma physics. As a physics major, you will have the opportunity to explore different areas of E
kosovo dave
Gold Member
So I'm a physics major in my second semester of undergrad physics and have been completely blown away by electricity and magnetism. The stuff just amazes me.

So I was wondering what the current hot topics of E&M are. What are the unanswered questions? What kind of things would I be studying/researching if I followed the E&M path?

I know this is a pretty broad question but I was wondering what those of you in the field had to say about it. What kind of stuff are you working on?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
E&M is a subject. Most fields in physics heavily use it. Condensed matter, optics, high energy, cosmology, biophysics... Probably all research fields use it.

Remember that the subjects you learn in your undergrad are not quite research fields. The basic subjects of physics are quantum, E&M, stat. mech, classical mech. There is general relativity too, but that kind of sticks out since its not a part of most research (nor is it a part of most physics curriculums).

As far as unanswered questions go, perhaps E&M has the least amount of unanswered questions of all theories in physics. Particularly if you consider the quantum version of E&M, QED. It is said that QED has the most powerful predictive ability of all scientific theories. Of course the famous unanswered question is how to reconcile this theory with gravity. But many details of E&M are being investigated in all the fields of physics.

Check out the book "QED" by Feynman. Its a great pop physics book.
Edit- Not sure how familiar you are with relativity. But at some point when you are, you would probably be interested in the connections between E&M and relativity. Check out this thread,
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=714635&highlight=Purcell

Last edited:
kosovo dave said:
So I'm a physics major in my second semester of undergrad physics and have been completely blown away by electricity and magnetism. The stuff just amazes me.

So I was wondering what the current hot topics of E&M are. What are the unanswered questions? What kind of things would I be studying/researching if I followed the E&M path?

I know this is a pretty broad question but I was wondering what those of you in the field had to say about it. What kind of stuff are you working on?

Thanks!

Example: http://physics.aps.org/synopsis-for/10.1103/PhysRevLett.111.150404

Also note that E&M is THE major topic in fields such as Accelerator Physics.

Zz.

I too fell in love with E&M during second semester physics, which is why I majored in electrical engineering. Engineers are not working on anything fundamental the same way that most physicists do, but they do use electromagnetic theory in a wide variety of interesting ways.

Here are a couple of links to particularly electromagnetics research in a couple of the strongest departments:
http://electroscience.osu.edu/9219.cfm
http://www.ece.illinois.edu/research/electromagnetics.asp

jason

Last edited by a moderator:

I do not know if you can study something like pure E&M path at a physics study programme. It is more likely you would be able to do that in an engineering study programme, e.g. electrical engineering.

It is hard to give a complex view of current research, so just a few incoherent thoughts that come to mind :

Unanswered questions? Many, but it is best you find your own during your study. Sometimes the best question to study is about something everybody thinks is known perfectly and does not need further study.

Current topics for research?

On a more engineering side, stuff like design of microwave antennae (cellphones), electron microscopes, particle accelerators - acceleration cavities use EM theory much.

I physics, large field is the behaviour of plasma, in laboratory (research on controlled fusion in hot plasma - how to make fusion work at a power plant ?), in atmosphere and outer space (physics of atmosphere - how is it possible the corona is so hot? solar physics, solar wind, etc). There is much EM in geophysics too - how does Earth's magnetic field come about ?

The above do not use quantum notions much; largely based on kinetic theory, hydrodynamics and EM.

More towards theoretical physics, there is the research on superconductors, where magnetic fields play great role; much quantum theory of fields, and computer computations (it is said nobody knows how modern superconductors work at those high temperatures).

On a very theoretical side, there is has been (very interesting I think) effort of some theorists in the past decades to extend classical EM theory to microscopic domain and throw light on phenomena like thermal radiation spectrum, van der Waals forces & Casimir forces and stability of atoms, with help of stochastic methods (stochastic electrodynamics) as an alternative to standard quantum theory. This had some successes, but still has many limitations and open questions and thus is still rather minor effort on the fringes of research.

Wow, thanks guys! You've given me a lot of cool sounding topics to look into.

You could also look into plasma physics and solar/space/astrophysics. Anything with a plasma in it is going to make heavy use of E&M, and quite a lot of your day can be spent thinking how magnetic fields behave. For what it's worth, it's mostly classical in nature.

E & M is used in all fields of physics. It is probably your first encounter with real physics, rather than the baby physics you have had until now. If you love E&M, I think you will also love most other modern physics.
Wait until your first year of grad school to decide the exact field. Just go to a grad school with lots of options.

ZapperZ said:
Example: http://physics.aps.org/synopsis-for/10.1103/PhysRevLett.111.150404

Also note that E&M is THE major topic in fields such as Accelerator Physics.

Zz.

This is what I was going to comment on. There is a TON of research on the topics. Wakefields (dielectric or plasma), free-electron laser radiation sources, bunch generation from cathodes... the list goes on. There's also a lot of numerical methods and modeling for E&M, as models can be extraordinarily complicated and computationally intensive. If each particle emits radiation, then the number of calculations that needs to be done goes as the number of particles squared. An electron bunch in a particle accelerator can have tens of billions of electrons. So models need to be developed to simplify the calculations while still being accurate.

Last edited:
AccAcc said:
This is what I was going to comment on. There is a TON of research on the topics. Wakefields (dielectric or plasma), free-electron laser radiation sources, bunch generation from cathodes... the list goes on. There's also a lot of numerical methods and modeling for E&M, as models can be extraordinarily complicated and computationally intensive. If each particle emits radiation, then the number of calculations that needs to be done goes as the number of particles squared. An electron bunch in a particle accelerator can have tens of billions of electrons. So models need to be developed to simplify the calculations while still being accurate.

Interesting. Could you give some links to websites of research groups that are involved with similar topics? I am interested in similar questions, especially many-particle radiating systems. Can you recommend some articles/books for this area?

How long is a piece of string, in a big ball of string. Here's something else, something I explored, before I left the field ('scuse pun):

http://iopscience.iop.org/0022-3727/17/11/018

Nice to see you get such a buzz out of E&M. What blew you away the most?

Related to Exploring the Current Frontiers of Electricity & Magnetism

1. What is electricity and magnetism?

Electricity and magnetism are two closely related phenomena that are fundamental to our understanding of the physical world. Electricity involves the flow of electric charge, while magnetism is the force that results from the movement of charged particles.

2. How are electricity and magnetism related?

Electricity and magnetism are two sides of the same coin, known as electromagnetism. This means that an electric current can create a magnetic field, and a changing magnetic field can induce an electric current. This relationship is described by Maxwell's equations.

3. What are the current frontiers of electricity and magnetism research?

Some of the current frontiers of electricity and magnetism research include exploring new materials for more efficient energy storage and generation, developing new technologies for wireless power transfer, and investigating the role of electricity and magnetism in biological systems.

4. How do electricity and magnetism impact our daily lives?

Electricity and magnetism play a crucial role in our daily lives. They power our homes and devices, enable communication and transportation, and are essential for many medical technologies. Without electricity and magnetism, our modern way of life would not be possible.

5. What are some potential future applications of electricity and magnetism?

Some potential future applications of electricity and magnetism include the development of more efficient and sustainable energy sources, the advancement of quantum computing, and the use of magnetic fields to manipulate and control matter at the atomic level for various purposes.