Exploring the Concept of Spacetime: Answers to Your Questions in IT Forums

• Thread starter joshk2718
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spacetime
In summary, the conversation is about understanding the concept of spacetime. The person is wondering if spacetime can be compared to whales displacing water in an ocean, with matter and energy displacing spacetime. They give examples of an orbit and approaching the speed of light to try and understand the concept better. However, they are struggling to find the right words to explain their thoughts. Another person suggests a thread on the question of what spacetime is made of, as a potential resource for understanding.
joshk2718
I answer many questions thanklessly in IT forums so thank you in advance.

I am trying to understand spacetime. My question is:

Is it right to think of spacetime like whales in an ocean. The way they displace water is the way matter and energy displace spacetime? Or am I thinking in the wrong direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you be a little more descriptive and specific?

WhoWee said:
Can you be a little more descriptive and specific?

I guess one example would be an orbit. Do I think of the Earth displacing spacetime to cause the moons orbit?

I guess another would be approaching the speed of light. Is it that space time is being displaced & therefore the object is slowed?

I recognize displaced it not the correct term, but I'm trying to wrap my brain around the concept & it is the best word I have at the moment.

joshk2718 said:
I recognize displaced it not the correct term, but I'm trying to wrap my brain around the concept & it is the best word I have at the moment.

Maybe you should try to explain your thoughts in other words. I have no idea what you mean by "displacing spacetime."

Related to Exploring the Concept of Spacetime: Answers to Your Questions in IT Forums

1. What is spacetime?

Spacetime is a concept in physics that combines the three dimensions of space (length, width, and height) with the dimension of time. It is often depicted as a four-dimensional continuum, where an object's position is described not only by its location in space but also by its position in time.

2. How does spacetime affect our daily lives?

Spacetime plays a crucial role in our daily lives, even if we may not realize it. It is the foundation of Einstein's theory of relativity, which has revolutionized our understanding of the universe. It also explains phenomena such as gravity and the behavior of light, which have practical applications in fields like navigation and telecommunications.

3. Can spacetime be visualized?

While we cannot directly perceive spacetime, it can be visualized using mathematical models and diagrams. One common visualization is the "rubber sheet" analogy, where a massive object creates a dip in the fabric of spacetime, causing other objects to move towards it due to the curvature of spacetime.

4. Is spacetime a fixed concept?

No, our understanding of spacetime is constantly evolving as scientists make new discoveries and theories. For example, while classical physics treated spacetime as a fixed structure, Einstein's theory of relativity introduced the concept of spacetime curvature, which has been further refined by other theories such as quantum mechanics.

5. How is spacetime related to the Big Bang theory?

In the Big Bang theory, spacetime is thought to have originated from a singularity, a point of infinite density and curvature. As the universe expanded, spacetime also expanded, and it continues to do so. This theory provides a framework for understanding the evolution of the universe and the formation of structures within it.