Exploring Spherical Harmonics in MATLAB for Programmers

In summary: I'll definitely look into them!In summary, the spherical harmonic function is a product of the Associated Legendre functions and a phase factor. You can approximate derivatives by differences.
scarecrow
I would appreciate some input about how to program spherical harmonics in Matlab.

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/SphericalHarmonic.html

I want to program a double summation that looks like this.

[tex]

G(\Omega_{1},t_{1}|\Omega_{0}) = \sum_{l=0}^\infty \sum_{m=-l}^l \alpha^m_{l}(t_{1}) [\Gamma^m_{l}(\Omega_{0})]^* \Gamma^m_{l}(\Omega_{1})
[/tex]

where [tex]\Gamma^m_{l}(\Omega_{i})[/tex] is a spherical harmonic and [tex]\alpha^m_{l}[/tex] depends on l, m, and t.

Is there a spherical harmonic function in Matlab? I couldn't find anything except the Legendre polynomials.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a follow up question. I'm a beginner in Matlab, so please excuse my ignorance if these questions seem stupid. How would you program higher-order derivatives into for loops? Is there a syntax in Matlab for higher-order derivatives?

for l = 0:5
for m = -l:l

[tex] \frac {d^{l+m}} {dx^{l+m}} (x^2-1)^l[/tex]

Do a search on the MATLAB site, they have an abundance of code for you to look at...

Hey
Derivatives can be approximated by differences which is done by the command diff(x,k) where "x" is a vector and k is the order. Hence k=1 corresponds to the first order derivative of x.
Maybe this can help you further.

eys_physics said:
Hey
Derivatives can be approximated by differences which is done by the command diff(x,k) where "x" is a vector and k is the order. Hence k=1 corresponds to the first order derivative of x.
Maybe this can help you further.

True, but you have to be very very careful with numerical derivatives (they are a local entity as opposed to numerical integration which is more global in nature). Many special functions are better evaluated using recurrence relations.

thanks for the tips.

Related to Exploring Spherical Harmonics in MATLAB for Programmers

1. What are spherical harmonics in MATLAB?

Spherical harmonics in MATLAB are a set of mathematical functions used to represent the angular part of a complex function in spherical coordinates. These functions are commonly used in physics, mathematics, and engineering for solving problems involving spherical symmetry.

2. How are spherical harmonics calculated in MATLAB?

There are built-in functions in MATLAB, such as "sphharm" and "legendre," that can be used to calculate spherical harmonics. These functions take in parameters such as the degree and order of the harmonic and return the corresponding values in a matrix format.

3. What is the significance of spherical harmonics in MATLAB?

Spherical harmonics have many applications in various fields, such as signal processing, quantum mechanics, and geophysics. In MATLAB, they are commonly used for solving partial differential equations, representing wave functions, and analyzing spherical data.

4. Can spherical harmonics be visualized in MATLAB?

Yes, MATLAB has functions such as "spharm" and "sphplot" that allow for the visualization of spherical harmonics. These functions can generate 3D plots or surface plots to represent the harmonic functions in a graphical form.

5. Are there any limitations to using spherical harmonics in MATLAB?

One limitation of using spherical harmonics in MATLAB is that they are only applicable to problems with spherical symmetry. Additionally, the accuracy of the calculations can be affected by the degree and order of the harmonic used, as well as the numerical precision of MATLAB.