Exploring Special Relativity: A Pickle in Lorentz Theory

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of measuring time in Lorentz theory and how it relates to the velocity of the experiment relative to the supposed ether. The question arises about how the velocity can become zero, and a pdf of the relevant page is attached for further reference.
bos3yed651
This is my first thread. I hope I do it right. I just started reading the book Special Relativity by W.Rindler. And as I was reading it, I stumbled upon a pickle. So in Lorentz theory, it says, supposedly we could measure the original to-and-fro time T2 directly with a clock, and suppose we then move the arm L2 along with ether so that v becomes zero. My question is how v became zero and I know that the question might sound stupid to some but please dazzle me.
A pdf of the page is attached along. Thank you for your time :)

Attachments

• Doc - Dec 12 2019 - 10-42 AM.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 151
Physics news on Phys.org
##v## is the velocity of the experiment relative to the (supposed) ether. If the experiment is moving along with the ether then their relative velocity is zero.

Likes bos3yed651
thanks, made my a day a lot easier.

Likes Ibix

Related to Exploring Special Relativity: A Pickle in Lorentz Theory

1. What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein that explains the relationship between space and time in the presence of gravity. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, and that the speed of light is constant for all observers.

2. What is the "pickle paradox" in Lorentz theory?

The "pickle paradox" refers to a thought experiment proposed by physicist George Gamow that involves a pickle moving at high speeds in a train. According to Lorentz theory, the pickle would appear to be distorted to an observer outside the train due to the effects of time dilation and length contraction.

3. How does Lorentz theory differ from Newtonian mechanics?

Lorentz theory is a more accurate and comprehensive theory of motion than Newtonian mechanics. It takes into account the effects of relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction, which Newtonian mechanics does not consider. Lorentz theory also explains the constancy of the speed of light, which is not accounted for in Newtonian mechanics.

4. What is the significance of the speed of light in special relativity?

The speed of light, denoted by the letter "c", plays a crucial role in special relativity. It is considered to be the maximum speed at which anything can travel in the universe, and it is the same for all observers regardless of their relative motion. This constant speed of light is a fundamental principle of special relativity and has been experimentally verified.

5. How has special relativity been confirmed through experiments?

Special relativity has been confirmed through various experiments, such as the Michelson-Morley experiment and the Kennedy-Thorndike experiment. These experiments have shown that the speed of light is constant for all observers, and have also demonstrated the effects of time dilation and length contraction. Additionally, the predictions of special relativity have been tested and verified through particle accelerators and other high-precision experiments.