Exploring Spanning Sets: Can I Understand This Vector Space Problem?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of spanning sets and linear independence in vector spaces. The first question asks if a set of polynomials with degree 2 or less can span the vector space of all polynomials with degree 2 or less. Through the use of the theorem that states a set of 3 vectors in a 3-dimensional vector space must be linearly independent, it is determined that the set cannot span the vector space since the given vectors are linearly dependent. The second question asks if a set of sine functions on the interval of real numbers is linearly dependent or independent. Through the use of the test for linear independence, it is determined that the set is linearly independent.
Spectre5
I don't totally understand spanning sets...

Can anyone explain this problem to me:

let V = set of all polynomials with degree of 2 or less (a vector space_
let S = {t + 1, t^2 + 1, t^2 - t}

Does S span V?

I know that (t^2 + 1) - (t + 1) = t^2 - t

But I just don't see what that tells me...

Physics news on Phys.org
Spectre5 said:
I know that (t^2 + 1) - (t + 1) = t^2 - t

But I just don't see what that tells me...

This tells you that your vectors are linearly dependant. Do you see why?

V has dimension 3. You have 3 vectors. If they spanned V, then they would be linearly independant as well (it's crucial here that you have 3 vectors and dimV=3, you probably have a theorem to this effect). You've shown they aren't linearly independant, so can they span?

Thanks for the response...so basically since I reduced the system to 2 equations, it cannot span since it needs 3 equation (vectors) to span it?

Another related question...

let V = vector space of all continuous functions on the interval of the real numbers

let S = {sin(t), sin(2t), sin(3t)}

is S of V linearly dependent or lineraly independent?

Thanks any help

Ok, I get the first question now...since they are linearly dependant, they cannot span a 3d vector space...that makes sense now. I still need some help on that second question though please.

nvm, you got it.

Spectre5 said:
Another related question...

let V = vector space of all continuous functions on the interval of the real numbers

let S = {sin(t), sin(2t), sin(3t)}

is S of V linearly dependent or lineraly independent?

Thanks any help

Have you tried the usual test for linear independance? Do you know what it is?

Last edited:
well, I do know what it is...but this is all I get when using it:

(c1)sin(t) + (c2)sin(2t) + (c3)sin(3t) = 0

I don't know where to go from there

A set is linearly independant if no vector in the set can be written as a linear combination of of the other vectors

Good. That has to be true for all values of t, so try substituting some in and see what you can say about the coefficients.

Ideally you want to put in a value of t that will make 2 of the terms vanish so you can elimante one coefficient.

E.g. to shaow t and cos(t) are independant, look at

(c1)t+(c2)cos(t)=0 (*)

Put in t=0 and get:

(c1)0+(c2)1=0

so c2=0 and equation (*) becomes

(c1)t=0

Put in t=1, and we see c1=0, therefore t and cos(t) are independant.

well, I cannot think of any values that would cancel out just two of the constants...which leads me to believe it is linearly independent...but how do I know that there are no values...how do I know I am not missing some value?? Is there a better way of doing it?

It's not necessary to have 2 of them cancel, that would make life easier, but it's not necessary and not always possible.

Putting in any value of t (where they don't all vanish), will allow you to simplify your equation by getting a relation among c1, c2, and c3. Can you find any values of t to make one of them vanish and not the other 2?

how about pi/2

then we have (c1) - (c3) = 0
so (c1) = (c3)

Good. You've simplified down to 2 variables now. Try substituting in some more values of t to see what you can get.

Another thing you can do is differentiate your equation. You'll get a linear combination of cos's. Try putting in convenient values for t and see what you can say about c1 and c2. You could differentiate this again if need be.

differentiate the equation, and you get all of it in terms of cos...then plug in pi/2 again and only the c2 term is left.

so (c2)*2*cost(2(pi/2)) = 0

So (c2) = 0

And then back to the original eq..

(c1)[sin(t) + sint(3t)] = 0

WE can ignore the (c2) term since it is always 0, but now if t = pi/2, then the equation is true for any value of (c1) and thus any value of (c3)

Last edited:
Spectre5 said:
(c1)[sin(t) + sint(3t)] = 0

WE can ignore the (c2) term since it is always 0, but now if t = pi/2, then the equation is true for any value of (c1) and thus any value of (c3)

Ok, c2=0 like you showed, that's good, and you had c1=c3 from earlier post, so you're down to (c1)[sin(t) + sint(3t)] = 0, which must be true for all t.

What value of c1 makes (c1)[sin(t) + sint(3t)] = 0 for all values of t? What if t=pi/6, what can you say about c1?

then c1 is 0 and c3 must also be 0...ok

It doesn't matter that c1 could be anything when t is pi/2 becuase the equation must hold for all values of t, and that is only possible when c1 is zero.

Therefore, the set is linearly independent.

Thanks for all your help!

Related to Exploring Spanning Sets: Can I Understand This Vector Space Problem?

1) What are spanning sets in vector spaces?

Spanning sets in vector spaces are sets of vectors that can be combined using scalar multiplication and addition to create any vector in the space. They represent the range of possible solutions for a given problem.

2) Why is it important to understand spanning sets?

Understanding spanning sets is important because they help us identify the range of solutions for a vector space problem. They also allow us to determine if a given set of vectors can span the entire space or if additional vectors are needed.

3) How do you determine if a set of vectors span a vector space?

To determine if a set of vectors span a vector space, we can use the span definition, which states that a set of vectors spans a space if their linear combinations can create any vector in that space. This can be tested by attempting to create a linear combination that equals a given vector in the space.

4) Can I use spanning sets to find a basis for a vector space?

Yes, spanning sets can be used to find a basis for a vector space. A basis is a set of linearly independent vectors that span the entire space. By finding a spanning set and then reducing it to a linearly independent set, we can obtain a basis for the vector space.

5) How can I improve my understanding of spanning sets?

To improve your understanding of spanning sets, it is helpful to practice solving problems involving vector spaces and spanning sets. You can also review the definitions and properties of spanning sets and work through examples to solidify your understanding.