Exploring Red Shift Quanta: H. Arp's Controversial Theory

In summary, Setterfield discusses redshift quanta, cites H Arp, but does not mention the 2df survey results. He claims to be a sober man with conservative scientific views, but this post is a piece of devilment. Wolram may be able to borrow Marcus' asbestos suit, but Chronos warns him that he might get "roasted" for his ideas.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
http://www.setterfield.org/Redshift.htm
This paper may be controversial, It discuses red shift quanta, i notice
reference is given to H Arp, but i leave the reader to form an opinion.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
wolram said:
Would you like to borrow my asbestos suit?

by turbo 1
No, my thoughts are none main stream, this post is a bit of devilment, to invoke
original thinking.

well I am a sober man with conservative scientific views and I take
this offer of an asbestos suit as a piece of impertinence and
an affront to my dignity
even it it was inadvertently offered to wolram
the smilie adds insult to injury and is not to be tolerated

wolram said:
by turbo 1
No, my thoughts are none main stream, this post is a bit of devilment, to invoke
original thinking.
I know that Wolram - I was just making light of the reaction you would get if you seriously promoted Setterfield here. :devil:

I've been "roasted" for FAR less egregious offenses! :smile:

marcus said:
well I am a sober man with conservative scientific views and I take
this offer of an asbestos suit as a piece of impertinence and
an affront to my dignity
even it it was inadvertently offered to wolram
the smilie adds insult to injury and is not to be tolerated
I'm sorry, Marcus. I don't know if I can behave well enough to survive while Wolram borrows my suit. :rolleyes: You may have to get one of your own... Hey! you're still alive! You've already got one, you devil. :devil:

Last edited:
wolram said:
Apparently, Barry has not yet heard about the 2df survey results.
http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/astro-ph/pdf/0208/0208117.pdf .
Setterfield is an uncredentialed and notorious crackpot with a cult following in creationist cosmology. Arp is a credentialed maverick with a fringe following in alternative cosmology.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well said Chronos; if anyone is interested, I believe the talkorigins website has a good discussion of Setterfield's nonsense about a variable speed of light (it's truly amazing what you can 'prove' through wilful distortion, misrepresentation, and general disregard for data).

I found it astonishing that Setterfield quoted a 'large dataset' ... of 399 redshifts IIRC, well before 2dF even got started there were several high quality red-shift surveys, with up to tens of thousands of datapoints. Now, post-2dF, we have the first, second (and next week third) data release from SDSS.

As so much of the data is in the public domain, anyone - wolfram, turbo-1, marcus, Chronos, Nereid, ... - is free to get it and analyse it to their hearts' content.

This mission, should you choose, ... do let us know what you found, please?

Last edited:

Related to Exploring Red Shift Quanta: H. Arp's Controversial Theory

1. What is red shift and why is it important in astronomy?

Red shift refers to the phenomenon where light from distant objects in space appears to be shifted towards the red end of the spectrum. This can be explained by the Doppler effect, where objects moving away from us will have their light waves stretched, causing them to appear more red. Red shift is important in astronomy because it provides evidence for the expansion of the universe and allows us to measure the distance and speed of objects in space.

2. Who is H. Arp and what is his controversial theory about red shift quanta?

Halton Arp was an American astrophysicist known for his controversial theory that challenges the traditional interpretation of red shift. His theory, known as the "intrinsic red shift" hypothesis, suggests that red shift is not solely caused by the expansion of the universe, but also by other factors such as the ejection of matter from active galactic nuclei.

3. What evidence does H. Arp use to support his theory?

Arp's theory is primarily based on his observations of unusual red shift values in certain pairs of galaxies, where a smaller, lower red shift galaxy is seen connected to a larger, higher red shift galaxy. He also points to examples of quasars, which have extremely high red shifts, but are located in close proximity to galaxies with much lower red shifts.

4. What is the current scientific consensus on H. Arp's theory?

Arp's theory has been met with skepticism and criticism from many in the scientific community. The majority of evidence and observations support the traditional interpretation of red shift as a result of the expansion of the universe. However, some scientists continue to explore and study Arp's ideas, as the debate over the true nature of red shift remains ongoing.

5. How does H. Arp's theory impact our understanding of the universe?

If Arp's theory were to be proven correct, it would challenge our current understanding of the universe and the mechanisms behind red shift. It could potentially lead to new discoveries and insights about the nature of galaxies and the expansion of the universe. However, until more evidence is gathered and verified, the traditional interpretation of red shift remains the dominant perspective in astronomy.