Exploring Quantum Numbers, Bohr Model, and Electron Diffraction | Homework Help

• Thread starter smity711
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stuck
In summary, the conversation revolved around a request for help with homework problems related to quantum numbers, the Bohr model, and diffraction patterns. The specific problems included finding the number of possible quantum number sets for different values of n, calculating the orbital speed, kinetic energy, and electrical potential energy for a hydrogen atom in its ground state, and determining the energy of incident electrons based on a diffraction pattern. The person being asked for help reminded the asker of the forum rules and suggested they show some effort in solving the problems themselves.
smity711
Just stuck on a few problems on my homework, any help?

1. How many different sets of quantum numbers are possible for an electron for which:

a) n=1
b) n=2
c)n=3
d)n=4
e)n=5

2. For a hydrogen atom in its ground state, use the Bohr model to compute:

a) the orbital speed of the electron
b) the KE of the electron
c) the electrical potential energy of the atom

3. A monoenergetic bema of electrons is incident on a single slit of width 0.500nm. A diffraction pattern is formed on a screen 20.0cm from the slit. If the distance between successive minima of the diffraction pattern is 2.10cm, what is the energy of the incident electrons?

Thanks for any help you can give!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi there,

For future reference we have https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=152" specifically for such questions. Also, according to the rules of the forums (which you have agreed to); you are required to show some effort in solving the problems yourself.

Perhaps if you posted your ideas we could direct you down the right path...

Last edited by a moderator:

I am happy to provide assistance with your homework problems on quantum numbers, the Bohr model, and electron diffraction.

1. There are four quantum numbers that describe the energy state and location of an electron: n, l, ml, and ms. The possible values for each quantum number are as follows:

a) n=1: Since n=1, l can only have a value of 0, and ml can only have a value of 0. This means there is only one set of quantum numbers possible for an electron with n=1: (n=1, l=0, ml=0, ms=±1/2).

b) n=2: With n=2, l can have values of 0 or 1, and ml can have values of -1, 0, or 1. This gives a total of four possible sets of quantum numbers: (n=2, l=0, ml=0, ms=±1/2), (n=2, l=1, ml=-1, ms=±1/2), (n=2, l=1, ml=0, ms=±1/2), (n=2, l=1, ml=1, ms=±1/2).

c) n=3: Similarly, with n=3, l can have values of 0, 1, or 2, and ml can have values of -2, -1, 0, 1, or 2. This gives a total of nine possible sets of quantum numbers: (n=3, l=0, ml=0, ms=±1/2), (n=3, l=1, ml=-1, ms=±1/2), (n=3, l=1, ml=0, ms=±1/2), (n=3, l=1, ml=1, ms=±1/2), (n=3, l=2, ml=-2, ms=±1/2), (n=3, l=2, ml=-1, ms=±1/2), (n=3, l=2, ml=0, ms=±1/2), (n=3, l=2, ml=1, ms=±1/2), (n=3, l=2, ml

Related to Exploring Quantum Numbers, Bohr Model, and Electron Diffraction | Homework Help

1. What is the purpose of "A few questions I'm stuck on"?

The purpose of "A few questions I'm stuck on" is to seek assistance or clarification for questions that an individual is having difficulty answering on their own. It can also be used as a platform for discussion and exchanging ideas.

2. How many questions can I ask in "A few questions I'm stuck on"?

There is no limit to the number of questions that can be asked in "A few questions I'm stuck on". However, it is generally recommended to limit the number of questions to a reasonable amount so that it is easier for others to provide helpful responses.

3. Can I post questions about any topic in "A few questions I'm stuck on"?

Yes, you can post questions about any topic in "A few questions I'm stuck on". This platform is open to discussing various subjects and seeking help from others who may have knowledge or expertise in those areas.

4. How can I ensure that my questions in "A few questions I'm stuck on" receive helpful responses?

To increase the chances of receiving helpful responses, make sure to provide clear and concise questions, provide any necessary background information, and be respectful and open to different perspectives and opinions.

5. Can I answer questions in "A few questions I'm stuck on" even if I am not a scientist?

Yes, anyone can answer questions in "A few questions I'm stuck on" as long as they have knowledge or insights that may be helpful to the person asking the question. It is important to provide accurate and reliable information, and to always be respectful and courteous in your responses.