Exploring Quantum Mechanics Through Experiments

In summary, the person is looking for a resource that lists experiments to complement and support the topics discussed in a typical QM textbook. They are seeking something more comprehensive than the given example. The person also mentions their personal belief about QM and the importance of experimental evidence in understanding physical theories.
TomServo
Hi. I hope this is the rightplace to ask this. Sorry if it isn't. I'm looking for a resource (book, web page, etc) and I don't know if it exists so I'll describe it.

I want something that lists actual experiments that complement or back up the topics listed in a typical QM textbook, so I can understand QM better.

Most textbooks describe a handful of experiments or touch on the relevance of this or that but there's not a lot of depth. I'm looking for something like this:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/qapp.html

But more complete and with data. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
TomServo said:
Hi. I hope this is the rightplace to ask this. Sorry if it isn't. I'm looking for a resource (book, web page, etc) and I don't know if it exists so I'll describe it. I want something that lists actual experiments that complement or back up the topics listed in a typical QM textbook, so I can understand QM better. Most textbooks describe a handful of experiments or touch on the relevance of this or that but there's not a lot of depth.

You are in the right place.

Here is the textbook you want:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/110706399X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Personally I believe QM is based on a simple physical idea - that if a system is in a state and one second later is in another state, then it went through some state at half a second:
http://arxiv.org/pdf/quant-ph/0101012.pdf

But that's just hubris on my part being a person attracted to mathematical elegance.

Truth is any physical theory is based on experiment, not theoretical considerations and you are correct in seeking an experimental foundation.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Exploring Quantum Mechanics Through Experiments

1. What is the QM experiments compendium?

The QM experiments compendium is a collection of experiments based on the principles of quantum mechanics. It includes various experiments that demonstrate and explore the behavior of particles at a subatomic level.

2. Who can benefit from the QM experiments compendium?

The QM experiments compendium can be beneficial for students, researchers, and anyone interested in understanding and studying the behavior of particles at a quantum level. It can also be helpful for teachers looking for interactive and engaging experiments to teach quantum mechanics.

3. What types of experiments are included in the QM experiments compendium?

The QM experiments compendium includes a wide range of experiments, such as the double-slit experiment, quantum entanglement, quantum tunneling, and more. These experiments showcase the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics and their implications.

4. How can I access the QM experiments compendium?

The QM experiments compendium is available online, and can be accessed through various websites and databases. Some universities and research institutions also have physical copies of the compendium available in their libraries or research facilities.

5. Can I conduct these experiments on my own?

Some of the experiments in the QM experiments compendium require specialized equipment and knowledge, and should only be conducted by trained professionals. However, there are also simpler experiments that can be conducted at home with proper safety precautions and guidance from a knowledgeable individual.