Exploring Quantum Mechanics: Bra-Ket Representation & Completeness Relation

In summary, the compleatness relation is used in quantum mechanics to represent the dual space of a state in terms of the same basis used for the state. When expanding a state in a basis, the corresponding bra can only be expanded using a different index in order to accurately represent the dual space. In certain cases, such as using an orthogonal basis of eigenkets, the same index may be used for both the ket and bra, but it is generally recommended to use different indices to avoid confusion and accurately represent the dual space.
K space
I'm new to the concepts of quanum mechanics and the bra-ket representation in general.
I've seen in the textbook that the compleatness relation is used all the time when working with the bra and kets. I'm a bit confused about how this relation is being used when applied more than once in a single expression, and why it's always applied as summations/inegrals over different eigenvalues then.

For example, consider:

[itex]<ψ|\hat X|ψ>[/itex]

Expanding ψ in a basis:

[itex]|ψ>=\sum_{a}c_a|a>[/itex] and [itex]<ψ|=\sum_{a}c_a<a|[/itex]
which gives

[itex]<ψ|\hat X|ψ>=\sum_{a}c_ac^*_a<a|\hat X|a>=\sum_{a}c_ac^*_aa<a|a>[/itex]

In the book they would insted have two different sums for the bra and the ket:

[itex]<ψ|\hat X|ψ>=\sum_{a}\sum_{b}c_ac^*_b<b|\hat X|a>=\sum_{a}\sum_{b}c_ac^*_ba<b|a>[/itex]

Will these two expressions be equal each other? If that's the case, why is it always introduced summations over different eigenvales as in the latter case? It feels like I'm missing something fundamental here.

Physics news on Phys.org
K space said:
I'm new to the concepts of quanum mechanics and the bra-ket representation in general.
I've seen in the textbook that the compleatness relation is used all the time when working with the bra and kets. I'm a bit confused about how this relation is being used when applied more than once in a single expression, and why it's always applied as summations/inegrals over different eigenvalues then.

For example, consider:

[itex]<ψ|\hat X|ψ>[/itex]

Expanding ψ in a basis:

[itex]|ψ>=\sum_{a}c_a|a>[/itex] and [itex]<ψ|=\sum_{a}c_a<a|[/itex]
which gives

Be careful of your complex conjugates when creating a dual vector space and operating on it.
As for subscripts,

[itex]<ψ|\hat X|ψ>=\sum_{a}c_ac^*_a<a|\hat X|a>=\sum_{a}c_ac^*_aa<a|a>[/itex]

This would not be correct. The components of the dual of the state (bra) are in general not the same as those of the ket. They are in fact complex conjugates. Thus you can say that the ket is a linear combination [itex]|ψ>=\sum_{a}c_a|a>[/itex]
And that the bra is a linear combination and [itex]<ψ|=\sum_{b}c_b<b|[/itex] were c_b is an element of the set of complex numbers.
Or, you can do as the book shows below:

In the book they would insted have two different sums for the bra and the ket:

[itex]<ψ|\hat X|ψ>=\sum_{a}\sum_{b}c_ac^*_b<b|\hat X|a>=\sum_{a}\sum_{b}c_ac^*_ba<b|a>[/itex]

This is correct.

Will these two expressions be equal each other? If that's the case, why is it always introduced summations over different eigenvales as in the latter case? It feels like I'm missing something fundamental here.

What text are you using? I would work on expansion of states and creating a dual space, and do so with some concrete states (column vectors) and get a feel for how this is done before working more directly with the basis independent Dirac formalism. Convince yourself of some of these properties
For a book I recommend Shankar and or Zettili to start with.

Last edited:
Let's just look at simple algebra. Let
$$y = x_1 + x_2 = \sum_{i=1}^2 x_i.$$ Then ##y^2 = x_1^2 + 2x_1x_2+x_2^2##. Now if you use the same index variable, you'd get
$$\sum_{i=1}^2 x_i x_i = x_1^2+x_2^2.$$ Clearly, that's wrong. On the other hand,
$$\sum_{i=1}^2 \sum_{j=1}^2 x_i x_j = x_1^2+x_1x_2 + x_2x_1 + x_2^2$$ yields the correct result.

Likes 1 person
The 2 formulas are equal if the basis vectors are orthonormal and
$$<a|b>=\delta_{ab}$$
So the sum with index b give non null terms only when ##a=b##.

I'm a bit confused now when I see different opinions about if the expressions are equal. More simply, if I expand [itex]|ψ>=\sum_{a}c_a|a>[/itex], will that always implie that I am allowed to expand the corresponding bra as: [itex]<ψ|=\sum_{a}c_a^*<a|[/itex] (with summation over same a) to use in an expression containing [itex]|ψ>[/itex] and [itex]<ψ|[/itex]?

Your last statement is correct. But, play around with creating a dual using summation over b, and then using orthonormalisim to see what happens.
The difficulty you may be coming across is is indical freedom. Is the index free?

K space said:
I'm a bit confused now when I see different opinions about if the expressions are equal. More simply, if I expand [itex]|ψ>=\sum_{a}c_a|a>[/itex], will that always implie that I am allowed to expand the corresponding bra as: [itex]<ψ|=\sum_{a}c_a^*<a|[/itex] (with summation over same a) to use in an expression containing [itex]|ψ>[/itex] and [itex]<ψ|[/itex]?
No, you can't and shouldn't. There's a reason why the book uses two different indices.

You're ending up with the same expression by accident. It only "works" because you're assuming an orthogonal basis consisting of eigenkets of ##\hat{X}##. You're expanding ##\lvert \psi \rangle## in a very specific basis. Use any other basis, and you won't get the correct result. If you wanted to calculate ##\langle \psi \lvert \hat{Y} \rvert \psi \rangle##, where ##\hat{Y}## is some other operator, your approach wouldn't generally work either.

In standard nomenclature and as is used in beginning books like Shankar (2nd edition pp 14) or Griffiths he can construct his dual as such. This is possible because the ket is defined from as constructed by an orthogonal basis (note that it does not need to be constructed from eigenkets of some operator) Granted, in general indices should be used for your given, but most texts at the beginning sidestep this issue for the sake of clarity and then explain exceptions.

Very basically, and sufficient for the OP at this stage when learning how to manipulate states in the Dirac notation, if you construct (or expand) a ket from an orthogonal basis that spans the space, you can create a dual (bra) by taking the adjoint of the ket assuming a countably finite Hilbert space.

An index that's being summed over is always a dummy variable, i.e. it can be replaced by any other symbol without changing the meaning of the statement. That's why it's always correct to use different indices with different summations. If you use the same symbol in both places, you risk confusing yourself.

Example: Suppose that you want to sum all the components of a matrix M. You can sum the rows first, and then sum the results like this: ##\sum_j\big(\sum_i M_{ij}\big)##. You can rewrite this as ##\sum_i\sum_j M_{ij}##, and you can replace j by any other symbol, but if you choose to replace it by i, you end up with the extremely confusing ##\sum_i\sum_i M_{ii}##. You made things even worse by also dropping one of the summation sigmas. We would end up with ##\sum_i M_{ii}##, which is only the sum of the diagonal components of the matrix.

Related to Exploring Quantum Mechanics: Bra-Ket Representation & Completeness Relation

1. What is the bra-ket notation in quantum mechanics?

The bra-ket notation, also known as Dirac notation, is a mathematical notation used in quantum mechanics to represent quantum states. It consists of two parts: the bra ⟨A|, which represents the complex conjugate of a vector, and the ket |B⟩, which represents the vector itself. Together, they form the inner product of the two vectors.

2. What is the significance of the completeness relation in quantum mechanics?

The completeness relation, also known as the resolution of the identity, is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics. It states that the sum of all possible projections onto a complete set of orthogonal states is equal to the identity operator. This allows us to express any quantum state as a linear combination of these orthogonal states, making it a useful tool for solving quantum mechanical problems.

3. How is the bra-ket representation related to the wave function in quantum mechanics?

The bra-ket representation is closely related to the wave function in quantum mechanics. The bra-ket notation is used to represent quantum states, while the wave function is used to describe the probability amplitude of a particle in a particular state. The bra-ket notation provides a convenient and concise way to express the wave function and perform calculations in quantum mechanics.

4. Can you explain the difference between a bra and a ket in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, a bra represents the complex conjugate of a vector, while a ket represents the vector itself. Mathematically, the bra and ket are related by the Hermitian conjugate operation, which is similar to taking the complex conjugate and transposing the vector. In terms of physical interpretation, the bra can be thought of as a row vector, while the ket is a column vector.

5. How is the bra-ket notation used in quantum mechanical calculations?

The bra-ket notation is a powerful tool for performing calculations in quantum mechanics. It allows for the representation of quantum states, operators, and measurements in a concise and elegant way. By using the bra-ket notation, complex calculations involving inner products, outer products, and projections can be simplified and streamlined, making it an essential part of any quantum physicist's toolbox.