Exploring Quantum Conduction: Where to Begin?

In summary, the conversation is about an experiment involving two "nanowires" of gold to investigate the quantisation of conductance. The individual is looking for websites or papers that explain the fundamentals of this topic, as most papers they have read only focus on STM techniques. Another individual suggests a specific website, but the first person asks for something more introductory. They then ask for more details about the experiment, to which the first person responds by describing their experiment using gold wires and electrical relays. They also provide a link to a document explaining the experiment in more detail. The conversation ends with the first person wondering about the important theories behind such an experiment and where to begin.
Baggio
HI, I'm carrying out an experiment involving 2 "nanowires" of gold to investigate the quantisation of conductance. Does anyone know of any websites/papers the delve into the fundamentals?. Most papers I have read just go on about STM techniques

Thanks

The One

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks anything more introductory out there?

Are your wires made by gating 2DEGs or are they grown as wires ? And are you measuring a scattering effect (inter-wire drag) or something else ?

Can you describe in more detail what your experiment involves ?

You can do it by bouncing gold wires against each other (Costa-Krämer).
Or you can use the gold contacts in electrical relays:
http://prola.aps.org/abstract/PRB/v56/i4/p2208_1

Hi,

Basically this is my experiment

http://www.warwick.ac.uk/~phucbt/Quantum%20Conduction%20step-by-step.pdf

Trouble is I've just realized there is so much theory behind this.. I just don't know how in much depth I need to go.

What are the important theories behind such an experiment? Where does one begin?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Exploring Quantum Conduction: Where to Begin?

What is quantised conductance?

Quantised conductance refers to the phenomenon in which the electrical conductance of a material is limited to discrete, quantised values. This occurs when the material is confined to a small enough size or when the temperature is low enough so that only certain energy levels are available for the movement of electrons.

How is quantised conductance measured?

Quantised conductance can be measured by using a device called a quantum point contact, which is a narrow channel that allows electrons to flow through. The conductance is measured by applying a voltage across the channel and measuring the resulting current. The conductance is then calculated by dividing the current by the applied voltage.

What is the significance of quantised conductance?

Quantised conductance is significant because it provides a fundamental understanding of the electronic properties of materials at the nanoscale. It also has practical applications in the development of nanoelectronic devices such as transistors and sensors.

What is the relationship between quantised conductance and quantum mechanics?

The relationship between quantised conductance and quantum mechanics is that the quantisation of conductance is a result of the wave-like nature of electrons, which is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics. The quantised values of conductance correspond to specific energy levels that electrons can occupy within the material.

Are there any real-world examples of quantised conductance?

Yes, there are several real-world examples of quantised conductance. One notable example is the quantum Hall effect, which occurs in 2D electron systems under a strong magnetic field. Another example is the conductance of carbon nanotubes, which is quantised due to their unique structure and size.