Exploring Properties of Pauli Matrices

In summary: Jx is a 3*3 matrix but it does not follow the Pauli matrix σ1. To understand why, you can look at the commutation relations of Jx, Jy, Jz - the so-called angular momentum algebra of rotations.
shounakbhatta
Hello,

I am new to this:

Taking the first Pauli Matrix:

σ1=[0 1
1 0]

Doing the transpose it becomes:

[0 1
1 0]

So is it a unitary matrix?

Similarly
σ2= [0 -i
i 0]

Doing a transpose

=[0 i
[-i 0]

Does it mean the complex conjugates are the same?

-- Shounak

Physics news on Phys.org
A matrix M is unitary iff

[tex]M^\dagger M = MM^\dagger = 1[/tex]

A matrix M is hermitian iff

[tex]M^\dagger = M[/tex]

with

[tex]M^\dagger = {M^\ast}^t[/tex]

So for the Pauli matrix σ² you have

[tex]M = \begin{pmatrix} 0 & -i \\ i & 0 \end{pmatrix} [/tex]

[tex]M^\dagger = {\begin{pmatrix} 0 & -i \\ i & 0 \end{pmatrix}^\ast}^t = {\begin{pmatrix} 0 & i \\ -i & 0 \end{pmatrix}}^t = {\begin{pmatrix} 0 & -i \\ i & 0 \end{pmatrix}} = M [/tex]

[tex]MM^\dagger = M^2 = 1[/tex]

The same applies to other Pauli matrices, so every a Pauli matrix σi is both hermitian and unitary

Since Tom answered the question, I'll just make a comment about something that I find useful to know.

Note that the diagonal elements of a hermitian matrix must be real. The Pauli matrices are also traceless, i.e the sum of the diagonal elements is 0. Every complex 2×2 traceless hermitian matrix can be written in the form
$$\begin{pmatrix} x_3 & x_1-ix_2\\ x_1+ix_2 & -x_3\end{pmatrix},$$ where the ##x_i## are real numbers, and this can clearly can also be written as ##\sum_i x_i\sigma_i##. So the Pauli matrices are basis vectors for the vector space of complex 2×2 traceless hermitian matrices. If you can remember this, it's pretty easy to remember what they look like.

Last edited:
If you add the 2*2 identity matrix you get a basis for 2*2 hermitean matrices (no longer traceless)

These matrices are related to 4-dim. Minkowski space in SR which you see immediately by calculating the determinant

Thanks for the help.

Just a small question to Tom"

(0 -i
i 0) when transposed becomes (0 i
i 0) but why again= (0 -i
i 0)?

Thank you.

-- Shounak

shounakbhatta said:
(0 -i
i 0) when transposed becomes (0 i
i 0) but why again= (0 -i
i 0)?
I don't quite understand what you're asking, but maybe this will clear it up:
$$\begin{align}
\sigma_2 &=\begin{pmatrix}0 & -i\\ i & 0\end{pmatrix}\\
\sigma_2^T &=\begin{pmatrix}0 & i\\ -i & 0\end{pmatrix}\\
\sigma_2^\dagger &= \begin{pmatrix}0^* & i^*\\ (-i)^* & 0^*\end{pmatrix} =\begin{pmatrix}0 & -i\\ i & 0\end{pmatrix}=\sigma_2
\end{align}$$

Thank you. Yes, it clears up.

I have one more question:

For a spin 1 for Pauli matrix it follows:

Jx=hbar/√2 (0 1 0
1 0 1
0 1 0)

Now the above, does it follows from below?

σ1=σx= (0 1
1 0)

But Jz=hbar( 1 0 0
0 0 0
0 i 0)

whereas σ3=σz= (1 0
0 -1)

is it somehow related to each other?

the 3*3 matrices for spin 1 have partially different properties and are NOT Pauli matrices!

Related to Exploring Properties of Pauli Matrices

1. What are Pauli matrices?

Pauli matrices are a set of three 2x2 matrices used in quantum mechanics to represent the spin of a particle. They are named after physicist Wolfgang Pauli and are denoted by the symbols σx, σy, and σz.

2. What properties do Pauli matrices have?

Pauli matrices have several important properties, including: they are Hermitian (equal to their own conjugate transpose), traceless (the sum of the diagonal elements is zero), unitary (the product of a matrix and its conjugate transpose is equal to the identity matrix), and they satisfy the Pauli exclusion principle (only one particle can occupy a given quantum state at a time).

3. How are Pauli matrices used in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, Pauli matrices are used to represent the spin of a particle, which is a fundamental property of all elementary particles. They are also used in the Pauli exclusion principle, which describes the behavior of identical particles in a system.

4. What is the significance of the Pauli matrices?

The Pauli matrices are significant because they are used to describe the fundamental properties of particles in quantum mechanics. They also have important applications in fields such as nuclear physics, solid state physics, and quantum computing.

5. Are there any other applications of Pauli matrices?

Yes, aside from their use in quantum mechanics, Pauli matrices also have applications in other fields such as signal processing, image recognition, and computer graphics. They are also used in the mathematical representation of rotations and reflections in three-dimensional space.