Exploring Physics Beyond the Classroom

In summary, it depends on your level of math whether or not there are any good physics books out there that you could use. If you are in high school algebra, there are few good books. If you are in calculus, there are few good books. The one I used for calculus-based elementary physics was University Physics by Young and Freedman (in its most recent incarnation, at least). I also suggest learning some trig and some calculus, from books like Trigonometry for the Practical Man and Calculus for the Practical Man. After you have a good handle on geometry, trig, algebra 1 & 2, and precalc material, I would definatly start moving into calculus (if you are dill
Stratosphere
I am in 9th grade and am starting to read on physics and learn more on my own rather than in school(I could learn everything they teach a day in school in an hour). I have just finshed a conceptual physics book that is an introductory to physics without the complex math (although I am starting to go beyond what they teach you in my current math class). I was wondering if there are any other good physics books out there that I could download or order. I really don't feel like waiting for college. I mean for theoreticle physics.

P.S: Also I may not be able to go to a college for physics so is there any online way to go to learn college physics if it would happen that I would be occupied by another task?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
By complex math, what do you mean? If you mean real and complex analysis, multilinear algebra (groups, fields, rings, etc., NOT equations), algebraic topology, and a good intuition in all of these, then you're ready for theoretical physics ;).

It really depends on you're level of math. Are you in high-school algebra? If so, there aren't many good physics books available. Are you in calculus? If so, there are also very few good books out there. The one I used for calculus-based elementary physics was University Physics by Young and Freedman (in its most recent incarnation, at least.

Also, don't underestimate the math required to do high-level physics. Don't think that Quantum, GR, or Strings will be doable with a high-school level math course. You'll have to take it bit by bit, without becoming too cocky or arrogant. When that happens, you only hurt yourself and give yourself false understandings and misalign the information you obtain in the books.

All I have is this to say: shoot for the stars, but remember that the only way you could get there was by launching off of the ground.

Stratosphere said:
P.S: Also I may not be able to go to a college for physics

That seems strange to me. Why wouldn't you be able to go to a college for physics?

Jack21222 said:
That seems strange to me. Why wouldn't you be able to go to a college for physics?

because he just he's in high school!

Last edited:
Try reading halliday and resnick. Also, you could probably find good physics books at your local library unless you're in the middle of nowhere.

I suggest learning some trig and some calculus, from books like Trigonometry for the Practical Man and Calculus for the Practical Man.

I assume 9th grade would put you at about algebra 1 level or if you are "advanced" algebra 2 level. This would be a great time to start looking at geometry and trigonometry and all of the goods that come with that. Geometry itself can be a tough subject for most students (it was for me for some reason) so I suggest going bit by bit and using a good book (I don't have any recommendations--- my teacher built his own material set)...

After you have a good handle on geometry, trig, algebra 1 & 2, and precalc material I would definatly start moving into calculus (if you are dilligent you could be doing this after year 10) and then go from there...

I don't know what your school offers in terms of math courses (my school offers algebra 1, 2, geometry and adv geometry, precalc, ap calc ab and bc, and math topics)... but take the hardest set you can and do your best...

start learning some trig and then some calculus.then u may start reading some physics books like young and freedman's university physics or resnick halladay.also mit lectures by walter lewin will be helpful

Related to Exploring Physics Beyond the Classroom

1. What is "Exploring Physics Beyond the Classroom"?

Exploring Physics Beyond the Classroom is a term used to describe the various ways in which individuals can learn about and engage with physics outside of a traditional classroom setting. This can include activities such as attending science fairs, participating in science experiments and demonstrations, or even watching physics-related videos and documentaries.

2. Why is it important to explore physics beyond the classroom?

Exploring physics beyond the classroom allows individuals to see the practical applications of physics in everyday life. It also helps to foster a deeper understanding and appreciation for the subject, as well as develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

3. What are some examples of activities that can be considered "Exploring Physics Beyond the Classroom"?

Some examples of activities that can be considered "Exploring Physics Beyond the Classroom" include visiting science museums, attending science talks and lectures, participating in science clubs or camps, and conducting science experiments at home.

4. How can I get involved in "Exploring Physics Beyond the Classroom"?

There are many ways to get involved in exploring physics beyond the classroom. Some options include joining a science club or organization, attending science events and workshops, or simply incorporating physics-related activities into your daily life.

5. What are the benefits of exploring physics beyond the classroom?

Exploring physics beyond the classroom can have numerous benefits, including increased curiosity and interest in the subject, improved critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and a deeper understanding of how the world works. It can also lead to potential career opportunities in the field of physics.