Exploring Original Works for Students of Mathematics and Physics

In summary, the conversation discussed the importance of reading original works of mathematicians and physicists, as well as strategies for finding and accessing these works. Suggestions were made for specific books and databases to use, and it was emphasized that while reading original works can be challenging, it can also provide valuable insight into the process of discovery.
qspeechc
I would like to read the original works of mathematicians and physicists. I am in the second year of maths & physics. I was wondering if this would be any good for me. Also, how would I go about finding their works? It's not as though the originals are published, it's mostly second hand stuff. Would the university library have the original works?
If not, how could I get hold of them? And lastly, who would you suggest I read?
Thank you for your time and input.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Cantor's Transfinite Numbers available as a free e-book: http://www.openlibrary.org/details/contributionstot003626mbp

Holy cow, thanks! But Cantor, I think, will be a bit over my head :rolleyes:
I think Hilbert's reworking of Euclid's Elements (or wateva) is on the web too, somewhere, must find it and download it.

Go to JSTOR, the archived database of all journals. Millions of papers were scanned for electronic download.

resist the impulse that they may be over your head, just read them. if one is impenetrable, try another one.

you WILL get something from most of them, certainly not everything.A personal note: Once I spent a few hours in the library reading a very small portion of an original paper, feeling very discouraged, as it took hours to read only a couple of pages.

the next day in class the prof asked questions about just that topic and i knew so much, he finally told me to shut up as i obviously knew the topic well!

Just curious, what paper was that and by whom?

qspeechc said:
If not, how could I get hold of them? And lastly, who would you suggest I read?
You might want to check out the books On the Shoulders of Giants and God Created the Integers, which are collections of some of the 'classic' works in physics and mathematics, chosen by Stephen Hawking.

IMO when trying to learn a new subject, it's typically NOT a good idea to read the original works; instead you should go with a textbook, because there may have been progress since the original paper, and textbooks may be more clear since they use modern lexicon, and your textbook may approach the subject differently than in the original works, and if your class follows a textbook, you should go along with it.

Go to JSTOR, the archived database of all journals. Millions of papers were scanned for electronic download.
Thanks! I'm finding that very useful!

resist the impulse that they may be over your head, just read them. if one is impenetrable, try another one.

you WILL get something from most of them, certainly not everything.
Thanks mathwonk, you're so intelligent, and always willing to help nobodies like me :)

You might want to check out the books On the Shoulders of Giants and God Created the Integers, which are collections of some of the 'classic' works in physics and mathematics, chosen by Stephen Hawking.
Thanks. Some of the English is a bit challenging though.

IMO when trying to learn a new subject, it's typically NOT a good idea to read the original works; instead you should go with a textbook, because there may have been progress since the original paper, and textbooks may be more clear since they use modern lexicon, and your textbook may approach the subject differently than in the original works, and if your class follows a textbook, you should go along with it.
To supplement, or in addition to (i.e. other topics not covered), the work we are being taught then? ISn't it important to see the process of imagination and creation by some of the greatest thinkers ever- how they lead to their discoveries? I think so.

The process of discovering something is rarely captured in the final product. Of course it can't hurt you to supplement your studies with them, but just don't get confused.

qspeechc said:
Holy cow, thanks! But Cantor, I think, will be a bit over my head :rolleyes:
You can read the Introduction; it is written by someone else, and written well.

Related to Exploring Original Works for Students of Mathematics and Physics

1. What is the purpose of reading original works?

The purpose of reading original works is to gain a deeper understanding of the ideas and perspectives of the author. It allows us to interpret the text in its intended context and form our own opinions and arguments based on the original source material.

2. How can reading original works benefit my research?

Reading original works can provide valuable insights and evidence to support your research. It allows you to analyze and interpret the information directly from the source, rather than relying on secondary sources which may have biased or incomplete information.

3. What are the challenges of reading original works?

One of the main challenges of reading original works is the language and writing style, as it may be different from modern language and can be difficult to understand. Additionally, some original works may be lengthy and require a significant amount of time and effort to read and analyze.

4. Can reading original works help improve my critical thinking skills?

Yes, reading original works can help improve critical thinking skills by encouraging you to analyze and evaluate the text in its historical and cultural context. It also allows you to form your own opinions and arguments based on your interpretation of the material.

5. How can I access original works to read?

Original works can be accessed through various sources such as libraries, archives, and online databases. Some may also be available for purchase or free download from websites such as Project Gutenberg. It is important to ensure that the source you are using is a reputable and accurate version of the original work.