Exploring Ocean Currents: How Would They Flow on a Smooth Sphere?

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of how ocean currents would flow if the Earth was a completely smooth, ocean covered sphere. One participant suggests that the main currents are driven by salinity differences and another suggests that heat loss and coriolis force play a role in the direction of the currents. The question is seen as a way to better understand the mechanics of real ocean currents.
h4tt3n
Hello everyone, first post on this forum...

Recently I've been trying to understand how ocean currents work from a general perspective. While studying, an intrigueing question popped up in my mind, and I haven't been able to let it go unanswered. It is simply:

If the Earth was a completely smooth, ocean covered sphere (but otherwise unchanged), how would the ocean currents flow?

I think that answering this Q might help one to understand what makes all the world's real ocean currents tick. Any suggestion?

Cheers,

Michael

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
h4tt3n said:
If the Earth was a completely smooth, ocean covered sphere (but otherwise unchanged), how would the ocean currents flow?
I don't think they would - I thought the main currents were driven by salinity differences as fresh water enters at the pole ( at least for the northern hemisphere )

Surface currents: from equator N & S (plus coriolis E) to higher latitudes; once heat loss by radiation exceeds that absorbed from solar radiation, the water sinks, then flows from the poles toward the equator (again, plus coriolis W).

Related to Exploring Ocean Currents: How Would They Flow on a Smooth Sphere?

1. What are ocean currents?

Ocean currents are continuous movements of water in the ocean that are driven by various factors such as wind, temperature, and salinity. They are important for regulating the Earth's climate and distributing nutrients and heat throughout the ocean.

2. How are ocean currents formed?

Ocean currents are formed by a combination of factors, including wind, temperature, and salinity. Wind plays a major role in creating surface currents, while temperature and salinity differences cause deep ocean currents. The rotation of the Earth, known as the Coriolis effect, also influences the direction of ocean currents.

3. Why is it important to study ocean currents?

Studying ocean currents is important for understanding the Earth's climate and weather patterns, as well as for predicting and managing marine resources. It also plays a crucial role in navigation and transportation, as ships can use ocean currents to their advantage to save time and fuel.

4. How do ocean currents flow on a smooth sphere?

On a smooth sphere, ocean currents would follow a pattern of circular motion, known as gyres, with water moving clockwise in the northern hemisphere and counterclockwise in the southern hemisphere. These gyres would be influenced by the Earth's rotation and the Coriolis effect.

5. What are the potential impacts of changes in ocean currents?

Changes in ocean currents can have significant impacts on global climate and ecosystems. For example, changes in temperature and salinity can affect the distribution and growth of marine organisms, while changes in wind patterns can lead to alterations in ocean currents and weather patterns. It is important to monitor and understand these changes to mitigate potential negative impacts on the environment and human activities.