Exploring Nuclear Fission & Fusion: Experiments & Theorists

Thank you for the suggestion. In summary, the person is looking for help with finding experimental evidence and information on scientists behind nuclear fusion, and the conversation provides some helpful search terms and links for further research.
Jia T

Homework Statement

For my essay on nuclear fission and fusion, I have to discuss some experimental evidence for nuclear fusion. I also need to find info about scientist that are responsible for developing the theory behind nuclear fusion. I am having trouble find info on these aspect.

Any help like relevant search terms for google would be appreciated.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Try this :

http://www.ancient-rome.info/Nuclear_fusion#

ehild

One could look for "fusion","discovery".

Or look up the work of Hans Bethe and Marcus Oliphant, and many others.

For fission, look for "fission","discovery", or the works of Lise Meitner, Otto Hahn and Fritz Strassman, Enrico Fermi, Leo Szilard, . . . .

Try http://www.iter.org/" for Inertial Confinement Fusion. These are two forms of fusion research currently being conducted.

For Fision I suppose the obvious one is the bombs... Hiroshima ect ect.

If you need any more information on Inertial Confinment Fusion feel free to pm me as I am currently programming a computer simulation for it as part of my Masters Thesis :)

Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys. Ill try some of the search terms and links.

Astronuc said:
One could look for "fusion","discovery".

I never thought of that.

Related to Exploring Nuclear Fission & Fusion: Experiments & Theorists

1. What is nuclear fission and fusion?

Nuclear fission is the process of splitting an atom's nucleus into two smaller nuclei, releasing a large amount of energy. Nuclear fusion is the process of combining two or more smaller nuclei to form a larger nucleus, also releasing a significant amount of energy.

2. How are nuclear fission and fusion different?

The main difference between nuclear fission and fusion is the direction of the reaction. Fission splits atoms while fusion combines them. Additionally, fission is the process used in nuclear power plants to generate electricity, while fusion is still in the experimental stage and has not yet been utilized for large-scale energy production.

3. Who discovered nuclear fission and fusion?

Nuclear fission was discovered in 1938 by German physicist Otto Hahn and his assistant Fritz Strassmann. Nuclear fusion was first achieved in 1932 by British physicist Ernest Rutherford and his student Mark Oliphant.

4. What are some experiments related to nuclear fission and fusion?

Some notable experiments related to nuclear fission and fusion include the Manhattan Project, which developed the first atomic bombs using fission, and the Joint European Torus (JET) project, which is currently the world's largest experimental fusion reactor.

5. Who are some influential theorists in the field of nuclear fission and fusion?

Some influential theorists in the field of nuclear fission and fusion include Enrico Fermi, who developed the first nuclear reactor, Hans Bethe, who made significant contributions to the understanding of nuclear fusion in stars, and Maria Goeppert-Mayer, who developed the nuclear shell model to explain the behavior of atomic nuclei.