Exploring New Frontiers in Physics: A Teacher's Journey Back to Graduate School

• Thread starter mrdenagy
  • Start date
In summary, the article discusses a teacher's decision to return to graduate school in order to gain a deeper understanding of physics and explore new frontiers in the field. The teacher shares their experiences and challenges in balancing work, family, and school, as well as the valuable insights and knowledge gained through their studies. The article highlights the importance of continuous learning and growth for educators and the impact it can have on their teaching and students' learning. Overall, the teacher's journey back to graduate school serves as an inspiring example of pursuing one's passions and pushing the boundaries of knowledge.
mrdenagy
Hello all!

I am a graduate of Florida State University where I majored in Physics & Astrophysics. This was essentially a complete undergraduate physics degree (120 credits) with additional coursework in Astrophysics (12 credits). After graduating I attended graduate school at FSU and managed to complete half of my master's degree while participating in Astronomy research (which I loved). After a while, life got in the way, and I had to abandon my pursuit of a PhD for personal reasons.

Seven years later and I am now a high school physics teacher who longs to return to the time when I was doing more advanced physics on a daily basis. Don't misunderstand, I absolutely love teaching physics at the high school level, and being a teacher has forever changed my life in many positive ways. However, while my goals in life have shifted over the years, I have always held onto the idea of returning to graduate school and completing my masters degree. Perhaps even a PhD.

To that end, I have begun the process of investigating different areas of physics that I wouldn't have at one time, while saving money and doing my research on the graduate programs that are close to me. Thus, I have arrived at the Physics Forums in the hopes of expanding my knowledge and gaining better insight into the areas I had before ignored. As of now, I seek the wisdom from those in the medical physics field. I am also interested in the areas of quantum computing and materials science.

Cheers,

Likes berkeman and PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org
:welcome:

Likes mrdenagy
PeroK said:
:welcome:
Thank you! I was trying to send a message to ask a question and it's telling me my message is spam. Any idea what that's about?

mrdenagy said:
Thank you! I was trying to send a message to ask a question and it's telling me my message is spam. Any idea what that's about?

What do you mean by send a message?

I guess it's called a conversation. I had read an article by Choppy and I was wanting to ask them a question about medical physics.

mrdenagy said:
I guess it's called a conversation. I had read an article by Choppy and I was wanting to ask them a question about medical physics.

What happens if you start a conversation with me?

I was able to start a conversation with you. Apparently I just had to shorten the message I was trying to send to Choppy and it let me. Thanks!

Welcome to the PF, @mrdenagy -- it is usually discouraged to send unsolicited PMs to other members. It's best to post questions in the open forums. Sometimes other members are fine with the PMs (and the Mentors are usually fine with being contacted directly with forum questions), but sometimes users can be put off by direct contact. @Choppy may be fine with it, hopefully. Certainly your background looks very good.

Enjoy the PF! :smile:

Likes mrdenagy
I may also be able to provide information on medical physics especially in a clinical setting.

Likes mrdenagy, berkeman and Choppy
For the record I'm fine with people sending PMs if they're interested in talking or asking about medical physics.

Likes mrdenagy, berkeman and gleem
berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF, @mrdenagy -- it is usually discouraged to send unsolicited PMs to other members. It's best to post questions in the open forums. Sometimes other members are fine with the PMs (and the Mentors are usually fine with being contacted directly with forum questions), but sometimes users can be put off by direct contact. @Choppy may be fine with it, hopefully. Certainly your background looks very good.

Enjoy the PF! :smile:

Duly noted good sir! My apologies, I will avoid doing so again in the future.

gleem said:
I may also be able to provide information on medical physics especially in a clinical setting.

Thank you gleem, I will keep that in mind as I continue to sift through information and questions arise.

Related to Exploring New Frontiers in Physics: A Teacher's Journey Back to Graduate School

1. What inspired you to go back to graduate school as a teacher?

I have always been passionate about science and wanted to deepen my understanding of physics. As a teacher, I also felt a responsibility to stay updated on the latest advancements in the field and be able to share that knowledge with my students. Going back to graduate school allowed me to pursue my passion and enhance my teaching skills.

2. How did you balance work and school while pursuing your graduate degree?

It was definitely a challenging experience, but I managed by prioritizing my time and being organized. I made a schedule that included dedicated time for studying, attending classes, and completing assignments. I also communicated with my colleagues and students to ensure that my workload as a teacher was manageable while pursuing my degree.

3. What were some of the most exciting things you learned during your graduate studies?

One of the most exciting things I learned was about the latest research and advancements in the field of physics. I also had the opportunity to work on various projects and experiments, which allowed me to apply my knowledge in a practical setting. Additionally, I learned from my peers and professors who had diverse backgrounds and expertise in different areas of physics.

4. How has your graduate degree impacted your teaching career?

My graduate degree has had a significant impact on my teaching career. It has expanded my knowledge and understanding of physics, which has allowed me to teach my students more effectively. I am also able to incorporate new and innovative teaching methods and experiments in my classes, making the learning experience more engaging and interactive for my students.

5. What advice do you have for other teachers who are considering going back to graduate school?

My advice would be to carefully consider your reasons for pursuing a graduate degree and how it will benefit your teaching career. It is also important to have a support system in place, whether it be family, friends, or colleagues, to help you balance work and school. Lastly, don't be afraid to ask for help when needed and remember to prioritize self-care during this challenging but rewarding journey.