Exploring Neutrino Spin: Experimental Evidence and Assumptions

In summary: I haven't seen that, but I am not familiar with the physics behind it.But that's how it's defined. You can talk about angular momentum that is not intrinsic, but that is by definition, not spin.Yes, that is how it is defined, but it is still spin.
alba
Is there any experimental evidence that neutrino spin is equal to the electron spin ( I think h/4pi, right?)

If it is just an assumed intrinsic property,can you explain on what grounds it is assumed as such, is it juas a matter of parity?

Physics news on Phys.org
davenn said:
I read those (an many more) articles, do they contain experimental data? I must have missed them.I am asking if there is any concrete experimental data that confirms that it has indeed some spin and that its magnitude is h/4pi

Last edited:
there probably is, but I haven't found any info in my looking

that link I gave ( and many others I read) identifies the type of particle the neutrino is ... that info was gained by experimentation
it is identified in being part of the same group as the electron ie the lepton, ergo it has the same spin as the electron ...
The neutrino has half-integer spin (ħ⁄2)not sure what else you want ?maybe some of our particle physicists can take it further ?
@ZapperZ Dave

Likes alba
davenn said:
there probably is, but I haven't found any info in my looking
not sure what else you want ?Dave
Thanks , Dave, I was just looking for some experimental evidence, or at least some indirect confirmation. I know the Standard Model assumes all fermions, leptons have spin 1/2. But suppose (ad absurdum) neutrino has no spin, what happens, what is the problem?

alba said:
.I am asking if there is any concrete experimental data that confirms that it has indeed some spin and that its magnitude is h/4pi

It is by conservation of angular momentum.
Also the helicity of the neutrinos has been measured (eg the Goldhaber et al experiment)

Likes vanhees71 and alba
Accurate measurements are available of neutron decay.
My guess, as I have not analysed the paper, is that these would have shown up - Nobel prize winning - deviations from the present electroweak theory if the neutrino would not be (nearly) massless with spin 1/2.
http://neutron.physics.ncsu.edu/UCNA/protected/55_2_0119.pdf

Likes alba
A different spin would lead to different angular distributions of the decaying particles, something measured in the experiments of Wu and Goldhaber, and later much more precisely with particle accelerators.

Likes vanhees71 and alba
If the neutrino were spin-0, it would mean angular momentum is not conserved.

If the neutrino were spin-3/2, [itex]\frac{B(\pi \rightarrow \mu \nu \overline{\nu})}{B(\pi \rightarrow e \nu \overline{\nu})}[/itex] would be some number other than the measured ~12,000.

Likes alba
mfb said:
A different spin would lead to different angular distributions of the decaying particles, something measured in the experiments of Wu and Goldhaber, and later much more precisely with particle accelerators.
Why can't spin be added during the process?

Vanadium 50 said:
If the neutrino were spin-0, it would mean angular momentum is not conserved.

If the neutrino were spin-3/2, [itex]\frac{B(\pi \rightarrow \mu \nu \overline{\nu})}{B(\pi \rightarrow e \nu \overline{\nu})}[/itex] would be some number other than the measured ~12,000.
What I meant is that the spin musn't necesseraly be an intrinsic property. Like in a billiard ball any spin can be generated by the cue or by a collision, the value of the spin +1/2 or -1/2 (or any other value) could be determined only by the process. This would also eliminate the akward assumption of an antineutrino antiparticle of itself. Does the linked experiment rule out this possibility? Ihave not the expertise to reach any conclusion.

Thanks for your help. anyway

alba said:
What I meant is that the spin musn't necesseraly be an intrinsic property.

ahhh but it is

@Vanadium 50: I think you just want one neutrino in the decay.
alba said:
Why can't spin be added during the process?
What do you mean by "added"?
Angular momentum is conserved.

alba said:
This would also eliminate the akward assumption of an antineutrino antiparticle of itself.
Assumption of what? It is possible that neutrinos are their own antiparticles, but they don't have to be - measurements are not precise enough yet to distinguish between those possibilities.

mfb said:
I think you just want one neutrino in the decay.

You're right. The one I want is [itex]\frac{B(\pi \rightarrow \mu \nu)}{B(\pi \rightarrow e \nu)}[/itex]

(Bonus points for guessing which reaction I was starting to write down when I thought better of it - and then blew it)

alba said:
What I meant is that the spin musn't necesseraly be an intrinsic property.

But that's how it's defined. You can talk about angular momentum that is not intrinsic, but that is by definition, not spin.

alba said:
What I meant is that the spin musn't necesseraly be an intrinsic property. Like in a billiard ball any spin can be generated by the cue or by a collision, the value of the spin +1/2 or -1/2 (or any other value) could be determined only by the process. This would also eliminate the akward assumption of an antineutrino antiparticle of itself. Does the linked experiment rule out this possibility? Ihave
By the way, have you ever seen a billiard ball "spinning" at half-integer angular momentum?

Related to Exploring Neutrino Spin: Experimental Evidence and Assumptions

1. What are neutrinos and why are they important to study?

Neutrinos are subatomic particles that have no electric charge and very little mass. They are important to study because they are the most abundant particles in the universe and can provide valuable insights into the fundamental laws of physics.

2. What is the spin of a neutrino and why is it significant?

The spin of a neutrino refers to its intrinsic angular momentum. It is significant because it determines the behavior of neutrinos in various interactions and can provide information about their properties, such as their mass and flavor.

3. How do scientists measure the spin of neutrinos experimentally?

Scientists use a variety of experimental techniques, such as analyzing the polarization of emitted particles, studying the scattering and decays of neutrinos, and observing the effects of magnetic fields on neutrino beams, to measure the spin of neutrinos.

4. What assumptions are made when exploring the spin of neutrinos?

One of the main assumptions is that neutrinos have a definite and well-defined spin, which is not always the case in quantum mechanics. Another assumption is that neutrinos are Dirac particles, meaning that they have distinct antiparticles with opposite spin.

5. What evidence supports the idea that neutrinos have spin?

There have been various experimental observations that support the idea of neutrino spin. For example, the observation of neutrino oscillations, or the transformation of one type of neutrino into another, can only be explained by the fact that neutrinos have a non-zero spin and mass.