Exploring MOOCs: A Scientist's Perspective on Coursera and Online Education

• MHB
  • Thread starter Fantini
  • Start date
  • Tags
    General
In summary: No problem, there are plenty of other channels out there.Anyway, youtube has a channel called catsters, just for category theory. The only problem is...There is a problem, but it's not really a problem. The problem is that the videos have low quality. :(Anyway, youtube has a channel called catsters, just for category theory. The only problem is...The problem is that the videos have low quality. :(
Fantini
Gold Member
MHB
Hello all. :) I've recently enrolled in coursera courses and I must say I'm loving it! Hence, I decided to ask if any of you ever tried one MOOC (massive open online course) before? I think it's an interesting take on education. Professors (in general) seem more motivated to present the course and students are more willing since they enroll out of interest.

What are your opinions? Have you ever done any? :D

Best wishes,

Fantini

Physics news on Phys.org
Fantini said:
Hello all. :) I've recently enrolled in coursera courses and I must say I'm loving it! Hence, I decided to ask if any of you ever tried one MOOC (massive open online course) before? I think it's an interesting take on education. Professors (in general) seem more motivated to present the course and students are more willing since they enroll out of interest.

What are your opinions? Have you ever done any? :D

Best wishes,

Fantini

Hi Fantini, :)

I have done parts of courses in Coursera and other similar websites. However apart from listening to the fist few lectures, I couldn't finish them completely. The only course that I completely finished (with every single lecture, discussion, assignment and exam) was CS50x offered by edX. I think that is the best course I have ever done in my whole life. I have never seen a passionate and enthusiastic prof as David Malan and after that course my interest towards learning computer science sky rocketed.

MOOCs are a great way to show how teacher motivation can affect students. They are entirely voluntarily, so whoever signs up is willing to take part in the activities and discussions (to some extent). If the instructor does not maintain enthusiasm then it dies stronger than usual courses, as they are not compulsory.

I'm already considering leaving one of the many I'm enrolled, and not because of the work. The instructor is very uninteresting, even reading slides during the video. Seriously? And worst: it's the first of a series, called "Foundations of Teaching for Learning". So much for it...

Fantini said:
MOOCs are a great way to show how teacher motivation can affect students. They are entirely voluntarily, so whoever signs up is willing to take part in the activities and discussions (to some extent). If the instructor does not maintain enthusiasm then it dies stronger than usual courses, as they are not compulsory.

I'm already considering leaving one of the many I'm enrolled, and not because of the work. The instructor is very uninteresting, even reading slides during the video. Seriously? And worst: it's the first of a series, called "Foundations of Teaching for Learning". So much for it...

lol! Sorry for the slight detour but one of my teachers this semester described how they had to go through pedagogical training to make classes interesting. Guess what? These classes themselves were not interesting. ;)

I have been trying to find a course in category theory, but can't find it. I guess it's asking too much, but hey...

Not a detour at all. This is a common complaint: every pedagogy student I've ever met has said that their worst classes were the ones related to didactics and pedagogical training. It's completely paradoxical how the training professionals don't have a clue what they're doing (or rather don't care at any level).

No category theory so far, but I saw a functional analysis course from École Polytechnique if I'm not wrong.

On the upside, the course "History and Future of (Mostly) Education" is DELIGHTFUL! The professor, Cathy Davidson, is from Duke University and she's amazing, she brings so much energy and discussion to the videos and the forums contain lengthy and healthy discussion from many perspectives. It really makes you work.

Sudharaka said:
Hi Fantini, :)

I have done parts of courses in Coursera and other similar websites. However apart from listening to the fist few lectures, I couldn't finish them completely. The only course that I completely finished (with every single lecture, discussion, assignment and exam) was CS50x offered by edX. I think that is the best course I have ever done in my whole life. I have never seen a passionate and enthusiastic prof as David Malan and after that course my interest towards learning computer science sky rocketed.

I've watched some of the lectures from CS50 and Malan is awesome. He has some other courses online too which are very informative. It's very exciting to have these kinds of resources available and I hope more spring up.

Fantini said:
No category theory so far, but I saw a functional analysis course from École Polytechnique if I'm not wrong.

Só agora reparei que você é brasileiro, Fantini. Você, como Clint Eastwood, deu uma lição à polícia nas manifestações recentes? ;)

Moderator Edit (Translation): "Only now I noticed that you are Brazilian, Fantini. You like Clint Eastwood, gave a lesson to the police in recent demonstrations?"

Anyway, youtube has a channel called catsters, just for category theory. The only problem is that I think it wasn't done thinking about a specific order.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Exploring MOOCs: A Scientist's Perspective on Coursera and Online Education

What is Coursera and how does it work?

Coursera is an online platform that offers Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) from top universities and organizations around the world. It provides a wide range of courses on various topics that are accessible to anyone with an internet connection. To enroll in a course, you simply need to create an account on Coursera's website and select the course you are interested in. The course materials, including video lectures, assignments, and quizzes, are all available online and can be accessed at your convenience.

Are Coursera courses free?

While many Coursera courses are available for free, some courses may require a fee to access graded assignments or a certificate upon completion. However, financial aid is available for those who cannot afford the fees. Additionally, Coursera offers a seven-day free trial for each course, allowing you to explore the course before committing to it.

Can I earn a degree or certificate through Coursera?

Coursera does offer a selection of accredited degree programs and professional certificates from top universities. However, these programs usually require a significant time and financial commitment. Most Coursera courses offer certificates of completion, but these are not the same as earning a college degree.

How long do I have to complete a Coursera course?

The length of a Coursera course varies depending on the course and the pace at which you choose to complete it. Some courses may be self-paced, allowing you to complete the course at your own speed, while others may have specific deadlines for assignments and quizzes. However, most courses are designed to be completed within a few weeks or months.

Are Coursera courses recognized by employers?

While Coursera courses and certificates may not carry the same weight as a traditional college degree, they are becoming increasingly recognized by employers. Many courses on Coursera are created in partnership with top companies, and employers view completing these courses as a sign of motivation and dedication to learning. Additionally, Coursera offers a feature called "Coursera for Business," where companies can purchase access to courses for their employees to enhance their skills and knowledge.